Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if there was any childless women out there that are not entitled to IVF on the NHS?? I have just had tubal surgery and was diagnosed with PCOS at the time. I was told by my surgeon that due to this and the extent of damage to my tubes that I have a 10% chance of conceiving. As my husband has 4  children I am not able to have IVF on NHS and I simply can't afford to pay for it privately. I have been told that they are putting me on Clomid but due to the internal damage I am not hopeful  :'( I was hoping to chat to someone in a similar situation that could maybe advise me. I can't talk to my husband, he has kids so he can't possibly understand the full extent of my pain!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
there is some clinics that you can go to and if you donate eggs they will give you a free course of ivf ,, look them up in area xxx

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hi, i'm in the same position. My husband has a daughter so they somehow think that i'm not as important as someone who has no step children. I don't know about whether you can egg share but you never know unless you ask them x

·
Registered
988 Posts
I was just about to share my eggs when I got a natural bfp (lost my baby at 10 weeks  :-\ ) but I would have shared if not.
We've decided to try acupuncture and herbal medicines before applying to share my eggs again as it helped me get my BFP the first time.

Have you tried appealing for funding? (Dont get your hopes up. I did and they said no, but you might have more luck than me)
Its worth writing to them as you have nothing to loose and you never know. Your PCT may have a heart unlike mine  ^bigbad^ You can get some template letters on infertility network.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, I noticed yoo're from Leicestershire, as am I so maybe I will get refused funding as well. I'm sorry about your loss  :(
Could you please explain what PCT is? Lol. Good luck, I hope the acupuncture works for you. Best wishes  ^reiki^

·
Registered
988 Posts
PCT - Primary Care Trust. The people who dish out the funding, or in my case dont!!  :-\
Its still worth trying. They look for people with exceptional circumstances so include any info that can help you

·
Registered
988 Posts
Maybe you should ask on the egg sharing board if anyone knows if you can still egg share? I'm sure someone will know?

·
Registered
36 Posts
imogenautumn said:
Hi, I was wondering if there was any childless women out there that are not entitled to IVF on the NHS?? I have just had tubal surgery and was diagnosed with PCOS at the time. I was told by my surgeon that due to this and the extent of damage to my tubes that I have a 10% chance of conceiving. As my husband has 4 children I am not able to have IVF on NHS and I simply can't afford to pay for it privately. I have been told that they are putting me on Clomid but due to the internal damage I am not hopeful :'( I was hoping to chat to someone in a similar situation that could maybe advise me. I can't talk to my husband, he has kids so he can't possibly understand the full extent of my pain!!
Oh hun, I know exactly how you feel. In fact it was only last night that I told the hubby that he would never understand how I feel. We too have been told that IVF isnt an option to us on the NHS. On an upside for you though, I have heard a lot of good things about Clomid :) I really really hope it works for you, fingers crossed :) xx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kerryz-ere,

They have talked about putting me on clomid but my tubes are that badly damaged I have a 10% chance of it working, are you on Clomid or due to start a course? Hope it goes well for you  ^pray^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
36 Posts
imogenautumn said:
Hi Kerryz-ere,

They have talked about putting me on clomid but my tubes are that badly damaged I have a 10% chance of it working, are you on Clomid or due to start a course? Hope it goes well for you ^pray^ ^reiki^
Who's suggested Clomid? No-one has suggested it to us?? 10% isnt all bad, atleast you have a chance hun :) It will just take longer... I've been given 6-12 months until my tubes fully blocked and there is 0% chance. My tubes are partially blocked, they couldn't tell me just how blocked they were. It's hard knowing that I only have so long. If I do fall pregnant then I can only have the one child... I'm still so so gutted, but trying to keep positive. You need to too :) If you want to talk then I am here for you xx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
I had an op at the end of March to unblock tubes, it was only after that that I got the percentage. I have got to see a consultant in July and apparently they are putting me on Clomid!! Why are they not unblocking your tubes for you?? I don't understand! Can I ask why you are not entitled to IVF please?? Same goes for me too, I am always here o talk xx

·
Registered
36 Posts
imogenautumn said:
Hi,
I had an op at the end of March to unblock tubes, it was only after that that I got the percentage. I have got to see a consultant in July and apparently they are putting me on Clomid!! Why are they not unblocking your tubes for you?? I don't understand! Can I ask why you are not entitled to IVF please?? Same goes for me too, I am always here o talk xx
Aww thats crap. What op did you have? I've read there are a few different ops they can do. Was it on the NHS? I'm not entitled to IVF because hubby has children from previous marriage and has had a vas...rubbish really :( The surgeon told me my only option is IVF, the doctor has said we can not get IVF on NHS. x

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, not sure of the proper name but it was a bilateral cuff something or other. Im guessin its only due 2 ur husbands vasectomy that u cant have baby? Im the problem with us, my fella has olympic sperm lol! IVF is too expensive for us, im doubtful of the success of clomid, but i'l give owt a try. Have u thought about adoption or IVF abroad? Xx

·
Registered
36 Posts
imogenautumn said:
Hi, not sure of the proper name but it was a bilateral cuff something or other. Im guessin its only due 2 ur husbands vasectomy that u cant have baby? Im the problem with us, my fella has olympic sperm lol! IVF is too expensive for us, im doubtful of the success of clomid, but i'l give owt a try. Have u thought about adoption or IVF abroad? Xx
Na I would never go abroad, and adoption could be an option in a few years, have just had a social worker out and cant even apply to foster for atleast a year! grrr. Give it a try hun, anything is worth a try :) x

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,
Sorry about the delay in the reply, I enquired about fostering and I'm just waiting for the forms to come through. Why have the said you have to wait a year?? Maybe they will refuse me for now? Blinkin obstacles everywhere aren't there?? Makes me soooo mad. Anyway hope you are well xx

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think due to NHS cut backs many PCT's are stopping funding altogether regardless of need or personal factors. Ours did (although we did get one freebie first).  You should enquire about egg sharing.  There is a massive shortage of donors and the advantage os that you get your treatment almost free!  If the tubal problem is why your chances are low and your eggs are OK then I dont see why you wouldnt be able to share.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,

Thats rubbish!! Hope something happens for you, can you appeal?? I have considered egg sharing, something I need to think about seriously but just can't at the moment. Hope you are well x

1 - 20 of 21 Posts