Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm new to FF and spent the last week just reading posts.  It's such a fab site.

I had an HSG last year in July and the consultant told me that both my tubes aren't functioning normally.  They show a little fluid leaking so could be blocked but not totally but he said they looked elongated, twisted and would be badly scarred.  He said I wouldn't conceive naturally and I was devastated.  I was put on IVF list back then and got an appt for June 08.  I haven't thought much about it until now as the appt has come round so fast.  He did advise me to have tubes removed through laperoscopy (or something like that) but I was so hurt by it all emotionally and couldn't bear to have them removed clinging onto hope he would be wrong and I would miraculously conceive.  I feel a bit ashamed that I didn't listen to the advice and reading some of the posts on here think maybe I would have a better chance at my first IVF if I'd had them removed.  I wanted him to look with the camera and tell me again how bad they are before I decide but because I have thrombophillia he wouldn't do the operation more than once. 

Is this the right thread to post on? i'm not sure it's fluid that I have or just scarring and twisted elongated rubbish tubes :(? anyone else had similiar diagnosis? Thinking I should postpone IVF and have them out??

Emma
xxx

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
yes emma you are on the right thread hunny ^hugme^ so sorry you have been told all this about your tubes, it is all very confusing at 1st + you feel very frustrated that things arent working right, im sure you arent the 1st lady to have said no to the op in all your confusion ^hugme^

unfortunately if they have seen fluid leaking from your tubes this does sound like hydrosalpinx, as you are probably already aware this is fluid that builds up + it can be toxic to embryos which is why it is preferable to have them removed, some have them clipped but personally if they are out then they can cause no more hassle

can you make another apppointment to discuss the matter further with your con, it is entirely upto you weather or not you opt to go straight for IVF i had both my tubes removed prior to treatment as i didnt want anything to get in our way of success

come + join the girls on the hydro chick chit chat thread they are great for support + info ~ http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=136102.msg2123051#new

xxx

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Hi ya Emma

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this!  :-\ I had a similar thing with my lap and dye back in November 07, had a bit of a medical trauma (long story) and so other things took over and I was really poorly for a while, so the tube thing just got pushed to the back of the queue really.  Therefore, I was confused as to whether I had hydrosalpinx or not and what this meant.  However, I have read lots on the hydro thread which was very useful and clarified things for me - it had never accurred to me that I needed further surgery on my tubes!

We are now (amazingly) at the top of the IVF waiting list  ;D , so have started this process.  Surprisingly we have received an appointment to see the Cons this Wednesday coming so I'm hoping this will shed some light.  I would also prefer (well ish) to have surgery before starting IVF as I wouldn't want anything to affect our chances of success.  So we shall see how we get on on Wednesday ... I'll keep you posted.

They usually do this by keyhole but due to various ops I now can't have any more keyhole because of the scarring so it would be more invasive for me.  Hey ho, neds must and all that!  ;)

Hope you get some answers from the thread and best of luck  ^hugme^

Lully x

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
lully i wish you luck at your review + for the op  :) if you need any advice on having a laparotomy which is the mpore inavasive surgery give me a shout + i'll help all i can as this is how my tubal surgery was performed  ;)

xxx

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Thanks Cleg.  Not even sure if I need it yet but am preparing myself so it's not totally unexpected and freak me out at the app!  :eek:

Did you have your tubes clipped or removed?  How long was recovery?  How long did you then wait before IVF?  Were you successful?  Sorry for all the questions but this is the stuff that's on my mind at the moment!  ???

Lully x

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
its ok lully  :) i had tubal surgery via laparotomy jan 07 this was to repair my tubes, it was intricate + long work hence the big op, i was then given a window to fall PG naturally + was also given clomid but a scan revealed a few months later that the hydro had returned in right tube so it was decided to have them both removed prior to TX, my con prefers removal then its done + i was also adament that they left no stumps as even the smallest stump can highten the chance of eptopic, this was done via keyhole in november last year, healed very quickly + we could have started TX in dec but wanted to have a nice crimbo + no stress so we started for ICSI in january, unfortunately it wasnt our time, all went well + there was no reason we shouldnt be PG it just didnt happen for us THIS TIME  ;) we will be going again + although i was sad at loosing my tubes i knew it was the only way forward

xxx

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Hi Cleg

Sorry for you that it didn't work this time  ^hugme^ .  Keep the PMA and start again when you feel ready I guess!

How long did it take for you to recover after the laparotomy?  I would have to have this, as I cannot have keyhole any more.  Will see what Cons says on Wednesday ... I think I'll feel better once I know whether I need to have this surgery for sure.  Bit in limbo at the mo, as I don't know what to expect as our next step.  DH keeps telling me off for trying to second guess everything but I can't stop it!  ::)

I don't feel too bothered at losing my tubes as one has been useless since the dermoid 4 years ago and the other is basically useless because of the hydro, so there's not much sense in keeping them, as I see it.  We've been told we would "the prognosis for spontaneous conception is very poor indeed", so not much to lose!  ;)

Thanks for your experience - it helps to know someone who's been through similar. 

Lully x

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
i know the feeling hun i was onyl given a 1% chance of a PG before the surgery + even when they were repaired it only went to 20/25%

i have a physical job, lifting + such so i was off for full 12 weeks after my op, i suppose if you have a desk job they would let you go back after 6 but it is major surgery + it does drain you for a while so whenever you feel ready to go back is good, with me lifting i wanted to be well + truely healed before going back, although the outside looked nice + neat inside takes longer to heal but if you do go for this you will get all the info + you should see a physio too after the op  ;)

if you have hydro hunny i would let them take the tubes before TX, we need all the help we can get  ;)

xxx

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for your replies

cleg - am sorry it wasn't your time in Jan but am praying for you that when you go again you will be blessed with a little miracle.  thanks for your advice.  my cons has written to me last week asking more questions about the thrombophillia so can chat more about it when i answer his questions.  think i am to see a haematologist on top of ivf cons at GRI?? not too sure yet but i guess all will become clear.  brave of you to go through surgery on tubes but yes i can see the sensible side that is why cling on to tubes that may hinder what we are all stiving for - a little family of our own.

lully - it's so confusing when u haven't got a diagnosis written down in front of you isn't it.  i hope that Wed goes good for you huni and that things start to become a little clearer.  i think it helps to be able to come on here and get a bit more understanding and at least be pointed in the right direction for questions to ask.  keep us informed of how it goes and if you decide to go for the op if necessary.

em
xxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts