Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies,

I am new to this wonderful forum - and I must repeat my congrats to everyone for the ways in which it is managed and its members respond with lots of useful information and lots to laugh at too ;D Which helps when times are hard !

A little about myself: DP (44 years of age) and I (just turned 36) were trying to conceive at the end of last year when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer (hence the explanation for the lack of sperm). A tragic discovery but after the first few months of panic/crying/psychotherapy, we have decided to go forward with ICSI. It has been a tough decision but we are hopeful: I think one can only fight death with life - it may sound philosophical, romantic, but I am optimistic and all of the above too!
He had a TESE done at UCH last February before starting his hormonal cancer treatment, and we now have 10 sperm samples frozen at ACU of UCH. Because of his cancer diagnosis and bad prognosis, we were referred to have a free NHS IVF at Homerton Hospital where we were told we'd have to wait for a 2 or at best 1-year waiting list. Hence, our decision to come to ACU and try with them first, especially since I heard that the first IVF cycle is usually a dry-run (and we do have some money saved but not for several cycles!). The good news is that by doing it privately at ACU we do not lose our place on the Homerton NHS waiting list, and having been at Homerton this morning and told them about our decision to go ahead with ACU, they have been very supportive and agreed this is the best strategy forward. This was a nice surprise.

I also just got my blood test results from Homerton: my FSH is a bit high (10.3), which means - I was told - that they'll have to use a higher dosage during the treatment. Fine, I thought, although I am terrified of drugs and all possible side effects. Perhaps I am a chicken, but I'll go for it. Your posts have given me some good strength and good energy to go for it. Thanks to everyone - what a great forum!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hiya,

Welcome to fertility friends.  It sounds like you've had quite a rough time already but you sound so positive.  Just want to say best of luck for your treatment. 

Tracy xx

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi Pesca and welcome to FF

Didn't want to read and run after seeing your story.  It sounds like you have had a difficult time, I'm so sorry to hear about your DP's diagnosis but you sound like you have a great attitude and I really admire your approach. 

I really hope that your treatment goes well, please keep us updated.

Just wanted to wish you lots and lots of luck, sending you  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Foxy x

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
^hello^
& Welcome to FF Pesca ^hugme^
Sorry to read your diagnosis, although it sounds like youve got a good NHS & private clinic which should help with the stress of a cycle, dont worry about the drugs, they are "OK" also a site search for FSH issues should give you some extra reading ;)
I would like to encourage you to post to build friendships and support from members who really do have an understanding of your situation, You may find there is an active running thread for ladies having treatment at the same clinic as you check both the ICSI & IVF boards as we don't have separate clinic threads for each
While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time.
The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that.
You will find a thread, usually with a funny/inspiring name for this year's buddies.
Just pop along to the appropriate month and say "Hi" when you are ready to start treatment.
For Cycle buddies -
CLICK HERE

Fertility through Cancer -
CLICK HERE

And don't forget to have a bit of fun while you are on FF and check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area
G&B - Community Fun board
CLICK HERE

You can also chat live in our excellent chat room.
We have a newbie night in the chat room every week (Wednesday at 8pm ;)
where you can meet other new members and get Chatrrom support
and help to navigate the site and using all the functions available here. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

Take some time to look at the help tab too ;)

Check out the Locations boards for your home town & a site search for your clinic ;)

Wishing you Friendship ^fairydust^ & ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
^goodluck^

If you need any help just ask!

~Dizzi~
^willy nilly^

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear all,

thank you all three of you SO MUCH for such lovely support - I have to say that I am overwhelmed by the amazing words you have all said and the energy I get from you guys !!! Also, thanks to Dizzie for pointing me in the right direction and giving me such useful information - I'll look into that as soon as I can (of course, now that I have found you guys, I have stopped working - spent a whole afternoon reading through your posts despite the mounting deadlines, argh!!).

Yes, I am optimistic, although from time to time I do worry about what they say that you need to be successful at IVF: calm, relaxed and no stress. I remember reading a post of a lady who was writing about her mum's diagnosis of breast cancer and how she felt her worries for her mum would not do any good to her mood and calmness needed ... I am trying to keep calm and positive - doing yoga, breathing exercises, passionate about my book that I am writing, so trying to be distracted. DP is doing so well at his cancer treatment, so we live by the day in a happy mood, though the thought that he may not do so good one day is at the back of my mind ! But then I hear stories of courageous ladies who take IVF on board as single women and other complicated stories and I have only admiration!!!
So, it's just wonderful to be here - I am looking forward to contribute and share and feel supported and perhaps give support as much as I can !!  :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Pesca,

Like you I'm new to FF in the last few days! Just wanted to say that I have an elevated FSH and am on a high dose of drugs and like you I was terrified of what they would do me. I have to say that so far (on my 10th day of stims.) I don't feel too bad. On my first scan I was so worried that nothing was happening, but it is. I feel a bit of a fraud that I don't seem to have many side effects (yet), but I hope it's the same for you!

^reiki^to DP for his treatment.

Best of luck
Victoria x

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Victoria/Archy,

thanks so much for your update on you: it does make me feel so much better, but also your good tip on rice milk is great! You shouldn't feel like cheating though - just wonderfully lucky that your body responds so calmly to everything. Fingers crossed mine will too, and if not, I am getting ready mentally for some rollercoaster as long as it all ends well and how it should be.
Really good luck and all warmest wishes with the rest of the treatment - and thanks so much for good wishes of DP (he's SOOO optimistic - it's really healthy to see that!).

Pesca
Hi back Victoria,
This is funny, I just replied to you to thank you on the rice milk tip as I was trying to answer you and another kind lady (Lou) who had given me this tip .. Sorry, am I going crazy before I even start the drugs?!?! Who knows .. Maybe that's better as I won't know the difference while on the heavy dosages ;)
All warmest, and apologies for the confusion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts