Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone advise me on whether it is ok for me to drink decaf coffee whilst pregnant.

I have stayed off coffee and tea since before I started my treatment cause wanted to give it my best shot.  But I'm really missing my morning cup of coffee.  I'm 5+2weeks, is it ok for me to start drinking decaf coffee now.  I have found so many conflicting pieces of advice like decaf is full of chemicals and is worse than normal coffee!!!???!!!!

thanks Swoo x

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Hi Swoo, I drank organic decaff coffee throughout both pregnancies I just drank less than I used to, no more than 3 a day but don't know if there is an official limit

congrats on the pregnancy
Shelley x

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hi

Congrats on your pg  ;)

I did a bit of research on this when I got my bfp being a bit of a coffee addict  :)  Some decaf coffe is as bad as caffeinated coffee because of the chemi cals that are used to remove the caffeine.  Apparently coffe that's had the caffeine removed using a water process and no chemicals is fine.  Nescafe Gold Blend Decaf uses the water process so I drank this through my pg although I still only drank 2/3 cups a day at the most  :)

Hope that helps a little

x x x

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
I chose Organic because of the lack of Chemicals LOL maybe I should of said that

Thanks Debs  :)

Shelley x

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses - I've got some Gold Blend Decaf so think I may have an odd cup once I've had my first scan and seen the heartbeat.

Swoo x x

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I found with Amy after about 6 weeks I couldn't stand the smell of coffee - but my 20 weeks I craved it ^idiot^
Starting to feel the same way now ::) Roll on 12 weeks!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
maybe you've just decided not to but you can actually drink regular coffee up to 300mg a day according to the NHS. When i had my booking in appointment with my midwife she gave me a sheet on recommendations that says you can have up to 8 caffeinated soft drinks a day!! (or three coffees)

There was a study earlier this year that suggested miscarriage could be linked to levels above 200mg a day. As far as i know nothing has found that intake below those levels has any negative effect.

i had coffee once a week in the first trimester as a treat, then stepped up to about every other day in the second trimester, with decaf on the other days.

Now in the third trimester i am firmly in the grip of my morning coffee and have a latte every day. According to Starbucks nutrition info, a tall latte has 75mg of caffeine.

the funny thing is i wasn't a big coffee drinker before getting pregnant (maybe once a week). It just became this totally yummy treat to me ...

best wishes on your pregnancy!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi Swoo,

Congratulations!!!

I drank decaf coffee whilst having my treatment and so far all the was through my pregnancy (16w), drinking one now as i type! I'm a coffee addict! Been drinking it since i was little and in very large quantities - over 6 cups a day of pure fresh ground coffee! (its in my blood).
Whilst having treatment and there after I did limit myself to a cap or 2 at the most per day and i had to go for the "special" decaf were they do not use horrible chemicals to extract caffeine though.
I did read that sometimes the decaf coffee is actually worse then caffeine one as the chemicals used to extract it are real nasty! So its well worth taking a trip to the Coffee retailer and getting some good one from there. But if you don't want to spend a fortune go for Kenco Decaf (the green label) its good - I asked my GP before i drank any!

However by about week 8 of my pg i found that i was put off coffee a little so don't stock up too much.

Enjoy your pregnancy.
A+A. xxx

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hiya,

Congrats on your pregnancy.  I switched to decaf during tx but only have one in the mornings.  As long as you aren't having too much then its probably fine,

Tracy xxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts