Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have also posted this on ask a nurse

I have just had the results of my blood tests back and was very pleased to be told there was only a 1 in 1500 chance and the consultant said this was very reassuring.  I have since done a search on here and seen my results aren't as good as I thought.  Also after looking it doesn't seem my scan was very thorough.  It was a standard ultrasound, he measured the fold, and noted there was a nasal bone.  He didn't go into detail the way some seem to do and the test only seemed to be for downs and I have read that other peoples Nuchals have been tested for Edwarrds and other things.  I feel very worried now, can anyone let me know what their results were, how they feel, if they are pg or if they have bubs yet????  Also was their nuchal scan like mine, or more thorough
^feedback^
Thanks 

Anxious Niki x

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Niki,

I think that thats a very good result...much better than the baseline odds and significantly less than a 0.1% risk. Its not an exact science only an indication and I think that when you get to these very large figures it makes little difference. The medical profession will never say its definitely not but isn't this almost as good as?

As for the detail your scan doesn't seem to be any more in depth than mine. I wasn't tested for Edwards either but think that any major abnormalities would have been picked up.

Finally if it helps a close friend was given a 1 in 24 chance of Downs following the Nuchal test and her little baby is absolutely fine.

I'm sure your baby's fine its so easy to worry about everything and it doesn't always help.

^Cuddle^

lol

Edna

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Niki

I had a nuchal fold scan done..my results were 1 in 240 (average for my age).

Not all hospitals undertake other tests so you will need to check with the hospital where you had the scan.

I was tested for Edwards though but thats all.

Have a look at:

http://www.fetalmedicine.com/f-downs.htm

But remember each clinic/ hospital is different.

jxx

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much to you both for the reassurance and quick responses, I might sleep a little easier now  :)

niki x

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dear Niki

Just wanted to reply to your post.

My first pregnancy ended at 10.5 weeks. With that pregnancy the consultant was able to tell me at the scan that the baby had died at ~9.5 weeks and that the nuchal fold was about 3mm- too much for its age and an indication of a problem.  When we had some tests done (we asked so many questions the consultant gave in) it was Patau syndrome- like Edwards and Downs this is a disorder caused by triplicate chromosomes (instead of just 1 each from each parent-s orry if this sounds condescending).

I am now 15 weeks pregnant and had a nuchal scan and blood tests at 12.5 weeks. I asked about Edwards and Patau- they scanner at the Foetal Medicine centre in London told me that at this stage she should be able to detect at least an indication of some major abnormalities as happens with Edwards and Patau. She spent several minutes checking physical things before she moved onto the nuchal fold measurement.

SO I suppose my understanding is that although the nuchal tests and bloods are specifically for Downs, that they also get an indication of other problems at that stage too.

My result was 1 in 1700- similar to yours and I was delighted! (I am 38).

Hope this helps.

Fergie

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks fergie  :)

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Niki,

My understanding is that Edwards is much more severe than Down's and that this would be more apparent at the scan and in the blood test.  My scan was fairly quick but even before the consultant measured the fold he said 'It's obviously fine';  I also felt my 20-week anomaly scan was over rather quickly but have tried to reassure myself that this probably means everything looked normal!

I think you can't help feeling demoralised/envious when you hear of lower odds than you have been given.  I thought mine (1:4209) were excellent but then I read something in the Times about a 40 year old who was given odds of 1:49,999!  I am now wondering if that was a mistake as I believe age is still factored into the result after the nuchal.  Based on age alone my odds of a problem were 1:211.

My Mum used to work with mentally and physically handicapped children and said that everyone focuses on Down's but there are countless syndromes, many of them worse.  So I have resigned myself to the fact that even an amnio wouldn't have taken away my fears that something will be wrong so I will just have to chill out and hope for the best! 

Good luck to everyone for happy and healthy pregnancies,
Caroline

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hiya

I have had my nuchal fold done and was told on the day that everything looked fine then received a letter from the hospital a couple of weeks later saying that I was Low Risk.  They never gave me any figures and I never asked for any as I had prevously told myself that if I came into the low risk category I would be happy.  Hpspital has never mentioned amnio again to me and I am due for my detailed anomaly scan in just under three weeks.

I must say tho at my nuchal the sonographer did take a long time doing the scan and was very thorough and presume my next detailed scan will be the same.

My thoughts on amnio were as long as I was considered low risk then I had no plans whatsoever on having the amnio done.  It has taken a long time to get to where I am today and it's been fairly stressful at points and I feel as if I don't want to take any more risks with my precious bubbs!

Just thinking positive thoughts and hoping all is ok!

Love

Karen xxx

·
Registered
496 Posts
hi everyone

I am 39 and after 4 years of painful trying etc.. etc.. am pregnant - 9 weeks - we need to figure out were the best place is for the nucahal scan I just want to make sure that we go somewhere where they are very experienced. Can you help at all? We live in Reading so London area is fine.
thanks
AngieL
xx

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi Angie

If you look at the link in Jeanette's post, on the side bar there is a link to registered centres for testing.

Hope that helps

love

Camilla

PS I know that in Surrey testing is offered on the NHS, I had mine done at Frimley Park, which was one of the original places for trialling this test.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Angie - Congratulations, I read about your pregnancy on the immunology thread. We got pg through ARGC and had our 12 wk and 20 wk scans at the Fetal Medicine Centre on Harley Street - it was so worth the money as they have such good equipment, our sonographer was an obstetrician, so she was able to answer loads of our questions and it also feels like a design hotel (not that important obviously)!!! For the nuchal scan, they did a blood test too which gives more information - for us, the more info the better - on the NHS, they only did the scan. Our 20 wk scan was really detailed and since it's such an important scan, we were really pleased we went there. We are now with the NHS and their equipment isn't half as good, but obviously it's free!!!

http://www.fetalmedicine.com/f-fmc.htm

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, Tiggy x

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi there - Tiggy and Camilla

I think the Fetal medicine centre sounds great so we'll book in there - I take it 12 weeks is about right so I should book in the next week or so.  After the amount we have spent so far the scans seem a worth while thing to spend a bit more on. Frimley park is also very near to us (we are in Reading) so if by chance I can get the NHS to agree to a scan for us (apparently they are if you are preggers after 28 Nov! I just missed it) them I might take them up on it as well - as you say the more information the better.

Thanks both and good luck with everything.

Angie L
xx

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi all booked my Nuchal Scan for the 16th Dec at the Fetal Medicine Centre - that will be week 12 for us  - scared but gotta be done and least when that is over and hopefully all ok - we can relax and really believe that we are going to be parents.  The gals' on the 2nd trimester thread sound so confident - can't wait to be like that although knowing me I doubt I will be until I see the baby and check for myself that it is fine.

Thanks again
Angie xx

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Angie

Well done on getting your scan booked .  I have heard the Fetal med Centre is very good ..

We have all felt exactly the same nerves and emotions that you are going through  .

We have all come so far to get pregnant that we just need continuous re assurance that all is ok , its totally understandable ....

Can i ask though , how come you had an IVF in New York , are you now living back in the UK ?
Sorry to be nosey ...

Love
Wanda
x x

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Wanda - not at all - ask away - actually we live in Reading - I've always lived in the Uk - thing is I have endo quite bad and we had our first IVF at Oxford - really bad response only 2 eggs one fertilised BFN - then we went to ARGC - thought they were really good had loads of meds - had a lap for my endo - still only one egg and a BFN - even Mr T was shocked that we only got one little eggie. I then did all the immune stuff with Dr Beer ie. humira - didn't do any good then FSH was too high over 10 and even had one at 22!  Sher Institute in New York seemed to offer a protocol for low responders so we spent a ton of money and went all the way to New York for an IVF cycle - how mad were we - anyway he did get more eggs about 7 only two fertilised not that good quality and a BFN - I also had IVIG for that.  Then we thought that was it and were lining up an egg donor again the US as we wanted to see a picture and a miracle happended and I fell pregnant in October..I'm 9 weeks now and still petrified and running to the loo a lot as I have had a fair amount of spotting - frigthening. 

Anyway that's our story..

Angie L
xx

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi All,

I had my results back today and got 1:260 - I'm 36 (37 in March) and had the combined test.  I'm classed as a low risk by my hospital, but only just as their cut-off is 1:250.  Feeling a little concerned - is this ok for my age?

I keep reading how everyone gets these fantastic numbers and mine doesn't seem that good  :-\

I also wasn't too happy with the actual scan - she didn't seem to be able to get a decent picture and kept re-taking the nuchal fold picture and eventually used the highest gap.  Does anyone know what the greatest source of information is?  Is it mainly the scan that counts or the bloods and age?

Thanks,
Katrina.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi there, it is a mixture of both i believe, I had it done and the scan picture shows the thickness of the babys neck and that gives a guideline the bloods are also taken to access the risk factor, i think that if the clinic were concerned they would have told you that you may need further tests, we all vary and i am now 38 and was worried about the tests but my numbers were very good.

Just have another word with the clinic so they can put your mind at rest but i think it seems ok otherwise they would have classed you as high risk, worth a phone call anyway.

Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.