Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going back to work in May, 2 days a week but only for 3 months until I pay back my dues and am free to leave. I have found 2 possible nurseries and am struggling to decide on which one. can you help?

No1 is in the opposite direction from work so not quite as handy as No2, its also more expensive (£610 for 2 days) and they require a 3 month notice period to cancel your nursery place, so I would have to give notice on our first day!!
But, it had a really nice feel to it, I dont have any concerns about leaving Alec in their care and I know 2 people who put their kids there and they are very happy.

No2 is attached to the NHS Trust I work for and is on the same site as the hospital where I work so very convenient. It is also £210 cheaper as Im NHS staff. They only have a 1month notice period. The set up seems ok and I dont have any real worries about Alec's care there, it just didnt have as nice a feel to it as the other one.

The other silly thing is the NHS nursery is only free on a Thurs-Fri and I am sort of tied into paying Gymboree for another month after I go back to work if i was working on a friday. Its pennies in the grand schemeof things but is bugging me.

Im dithering about which one to go for. Any thoughts out there to help me get my act together :)
Helen

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Can you revisit the NHS one just to get another 'feel' for it? As to the money, although you may lose out on your Gymboree classes you'll be saving more by having a cheaper nursery and not spending the petrol money to get Alec to the other one.

Sorry, not much help I know.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chux. I had such a problem getting the NHS one to let me do a viewing there now isnt time to do another, I have to meet my manager this Weds to tell her which days I want to work - the problem being the two nurseries are offering different days.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
from a worker point of view is your other nursery a private one??

Your NHS nursery will be slightly better regulated than the private one and I know the staff will be thoroughly checked out (not to say that private don't). But you usually find that Private nursery has a high turnover of staff as the pay is low and conditions are usually crap (just my opinion as a nursery nurse!) but I've applied for a few NHS jobs in my time and they are always quite thorough. Also as the pay is better and better benefits you may find that the staff are there longer term.

Would be slightly concerned that they won't let you re-visit - you should be able to turn up whenever you like and be shown around, would question that. But for the little length of time your LO is going to be there you are probably going to make a saving.

Just a thought could you not ask if you can re-pay back your money in installments rather than returning at all? I know where I work that is a possibility.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it was d-day today and I had to decide on nurseries. I opted for the NHS one. Wish me luck!!

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
so how did it go??

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after all that today was Alec's first day of induction to nursery and it was just awful - not just him crying but the nursery itself too. How did I get it so wrong? So bad that Im not going back to the nursery or work! Its a pretty huge decision but I was only going to go back for 3 months to repay the maternity money so we will just have to manage. Not sure what work is going to say about this but hey ho.
Helen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.