Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I noticed a few weeks back there was a new member of staff at the nursery. I don't know why but I got the impression she was a trainee. maybe not tho. She's quite young and comes across as being a little bit over confident somehow.

Anyway, a while back I arrived and Alfie was asleep in the cot. He had the beginnings of an ear infection. One of the others asked her to get him for me. She bounced over and picked him up as you would a tiny baby, one hand under head/bum etc. Of course it doesn't really work with toddlers and she nearly dropped him  :eek: . One of the others quickly rushed over and got him. I wasn't too worried, as I said, I just thought 'oops, training issue'  ::) .

But the another day I was coming out of the baby room into the toddler room, and there was a little girl standing in my way. This worker got hold of her arm and just pulled her out of the way. of course, because of the age they are, the little girl just fell straight over!

The today, she gave a little boy his beaker of water, They obviously like them to sit down to drink but instead of asking him to, or encouraging, she just pushed down on his shoulder and made him.

My initial reaction was that because it wasn't Alfie it was none of my buisness. But then I thought, well it could be when I'm not there. I just don't know if I'm over reacting but I'd be a bit hacked off if I saw her do it to Alfie.

Also, that's now 3 incidents I've noticed, and |I'm not looking for them  :( :(

I guess I need to phone and speak to the manager. Would you? Also, should I expect it to be confidential? Obviously, I wouldn't want to think there would be any comeback on Alfie at all  :-\ :-\

Thanks for advice/suggestions

Love

MK xxx

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
hI MK

I would mention it - It can't do any harm! 

Not sure about the confidentialilty issue but if she is a trainee she obviously needs direction and if she's not then the manager needs to know your concerns.

Xx

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Hi

I would mention it to be honest, if it was my ds I would not be a happy bunny. If she is a trainee she should be being told/taught how to be with the children or what is the point? I don't treat my child like that and would not want anyone else to.

xx

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
MrsKeats said:
My initial reaction was that because it wasn't Alfie it was none of my buisness. But then I thought, well it could be when I'm not there.
I would like to think if another mother saw my child being treated that way at nursery would speak up if not to nursery staff then at least to me :(

I would absolutely say something, if it looks and feels wrong to you, then go with your instincts and speak to someone about it. Trainee or not there is no excuse for pushing a child to sit down or pulling at their arm and making them fall ^bigbad^

I see new members of staff at C's nursery all the time- they are having a few staffing shortage so lots of locum workers and I always ask who they are, especially if they're going to be dealing with C.

hope you get to speak to the manager about your concerns

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BABY2 said:
I would like to think if another mother saw my child being treated that way at nursery would speak up if not to nursery staff then at least to me :(
Yes, you're totally right and I shall phone tomorrow. I'm hoping to find out her name when I drop him in the morning but not sure how to do it :-\

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
^hugme^ it's so hard to deal with nurseries, as on one hand you want to ^bigbad^ anyone who you think may remotely harm our precious babies on the other hand you don't want to give anyone any excuse to be "horrible " to them :-\ believe me I know as I am sure at C's nursery they have started to think I'm ^idiot^

how about going up to this girl and introducing yourself and saying something like " how rude of me not to introduce myself yesterday I wasn't thinking , I'm Mrs K , A's mummy" which hopefully will make her introduce herself or if not then after introducing yourself you'll say "sorry , didn't catch your name" ...and if she's not around then you can ask another member of staff and say you forgot to ask about the "new staff member as you were curious to know whether A would be having new nursery nurses"..

good luck and let us know how it goes ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I phoned them and explained my concerns :-\

Can you believe that I almost cried!!!!!!!!!!!!! How embarrassing - my voice just went all wobbly. I bet she could tell. I don't know why but as soon as I started to explain I felt upset ^idiot^ ^idiot^ .

Anyway, it was the owner and she said I was quite right to let her know and she would definitiely address it. She asked me to please let her know if anything else ever happens and it went without saying that it would remain confidential that it came from me. I tried to give her some positives too - that she was always friendly, and I'd seen her cuddling a little one before etc but that it had just knocked my confidence a bit with the nursery. Then I had to go before I cried properly ;D ;D

I was right to tho as this morning Alfie cried and didn't want me to leave - happens rarely but sometimes. So she came over and took his hand and they walked off together. She was perfectly nice and he was fine but all day I've had this ridiculous image in my mind of him in his little coat with her. ^idiot^ ^idiot^

Anyway, hopefully it is sorted now

Thanks for the advice
MK x

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
glad you did it ^hugme^  I can understand why you'd be tearful, I find myself filling up when I see/hear/talk about anything at nursery good or bad..not sure why, maybe its because I really don't want to leave her there  ^idiot^ ::) 

bet he had a lovely day and hopefully the owner who sounds quite professional has had a word or even better, is keeping an eye out for anything suspect  ^hugme^

all I can say is thank goodness it's Friday tomorrow  ::)  and last day of nursery for another week  ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.