Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm hoping to start privately funded IVF at either Nurture or Care shortly & am trying to choose between them so have made a positive/negative list for each. My concerns for Nurture are: What the car parking & traffic is like on a weekday? What the waiting room facilities are like? And finally how long you have to wait to see nurse etc? I'd also be interested to know how good they are at getting in touch if they've said they'd ring you?

Apologies if come across as focussing on wrong thing but am trying to decide between Nurture & Care and those are the negative points I can see for Nurture so wondered how negative they really are when you're actually there as opposed to just having been there for an open evening. (Managed to get totally lost in QMC & took us nearly 3/4 hour to find the car park to go home hence slightly clouded judgement!!!)

Any comments will be gratefully read, Fiona

Registered
Hi Fiona

Sorry was going to reply to your other thread about parking at Nurture. It can be busy but usually at the time of scans etc it isn't a problem - as it is so early there are plenty of spaces. For us it was more of a problem at embryo transfer as it was at the time of day the hospital is busier - however that was before the second car park was opened. We personally have never had a problem parking for hospital appointments since the new car park was built. Also If you allow plenty of time - there is a free park and ride bus service from a nearby car park. I haven't used this but i know people who have and have never had a problem getting to the hospital on time. I think it takes you right to the front entrance. I also know people who have parked on nearby roads though not sure which ones.聽
With regards getting out of the hospital to the car park - it can be a bit of a maze but the staircase close to the Nurture entrance does take you down fairly close to the exit for the visitors car park - though I can't remember the directions exactly. We were lucky in that we knew the hospital fairly well as we had had other fertility treatment there before IVF.

Also regarding the waiting room facilities - there were magazines and water available when we were there & radio but I didn't feel like we needed anything else when i was there - I didn't feel like i was waiting an overlong time. After EC and ET we were offered hot drinks and biscuits etc. Is that the sort of thing you meant?

Obviously I don't know how that compares to Care as we never got chance to go to open evenings etc - from what i've heard there may be more facilities there but I was happy with Nurture as I felt I knew where i was at with them and without their help i wouldn't have my little boy.

Good luck again with whatever you decide

Louise x

Registered
Just realised you were asking about traffic as well. Can be busy anywhere in Nottingham during rush hour - It's usually not too bad for early scans but you may need to allow a bit of extra time on EC & ET day. It also depends where you are coming from & if it's school hols or not (makes a huge difference so if cycling over summer it might not be a problem) For us we would've hit traffic travelling to care or Nurture so it wasn't something i looked into as much.

Louise聽 :)

Registered
Doh - just realised you asked about waiting to see a nurse etc - when i was there last year it used to be first come first served for scans and they had changed the system from the year before when you had to see a nurse separately afterwards - as far as i remember the nurse was in the scan room and would take bloods etc there and then. I know people were queueing quite early for a scan - even before the clinic opened. we were always a little later so had to wait a bit longer. However this may all have changed since then. If you are talking about a first appointment to see a nurse for antral follicle scans etc - i think we had ours quite quickly after initial consultation but that was 2 years ago so again the system may have changed.

With regards contacting you - they always rang me if they had said they would though sometimes it was later on in the afternoon - however I realise they have to do the lunchtime meeting before they can call you where I believe they discuss everybody's ongoing treatment based on test results, scans etc so they can only make calls after they know which stage you are at.

again hope this helps

Louise x

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Louise,
You're a star! Thanks so much for the information it's really helped me. We're favouring Nurture so your experiences of it being "do-able" and not too much of a nightmare for parking etc. are very reassuring.
Hopefully I'll get to follow in your footsteps & get a positive outcome too.
Best wishes Fiona

PS. Did you get to choose your consultant or are you just allocated someone?

Registered
Hi fififi, good choice I am currently cycling at nurture and it is exactly as described, i had exactly the same concerns as you however parking nor traffic have ever been a problem. If you park in new car park there is a door opposite the lift just inside this door takes you to just round the corner from reception ( next door to scan waiting room too)

The nurses have always rung back and are very discreet

Good luck wherever you choose x

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tazzie, reassuring that parking not as bad as imagined.
Hope you are successful soon.

Registered
Hi again Fiona

From what I remember I believe I was allocated a consultant although I think people were able to request an initial appointment with a particular one - although there may have been a slightly longer wait. I didn't consider it as I was just anxious to get started. When it came to EC and ET i have different dr's each time - I think it depends on who it on on the day although I think that might be similar at other clinics.

Tazzie - all the best with your treatment聽 ^reiki^

Louise聽 :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Louise - your info has been really helpful. We've decided to go with Nurture as their statistics for my age group better than Care so just waiting for pre-treatment scan & appointment now. Fingers crossed that's all okay & they take us on.

Registered
Hi Louise/Fiona/Tazzie

DH and I are also being referred to Nurture. We've been to QMC fertility clinic a few times now and initially we were concerned about the size of hopital and car parking. We also got completely lost on our 1st visit there, following which we got the wrong bus back to carpark and ended up going all the way to city hospital during rush hour - oops! Thankfully though, I can say that we've never had a problem since. The park and ride is really easy and quick with a stop just outside east block entrance.

I must say we have found it hard to choose which clinc to opt for. Both having similar success rates. It did seem that Care was the more luxurious option but having thought about it sensibly we've gone for Nurture too. I'd emailed Care for info and they didn't get back to me. I then rang to see why and they apologised saying they'd sort it out and still didn't. We live in Lincoln and saw that Nurture had a satellite clinic in Mansfield (a bit closer than Notts) but when I enquired about that I was told it was only for their private patients not NHS. Probably sounds stupid but I felt a bit offended. Reading up more I also found out that Nurture put all their profits back into research (unlike Care) so that swung it in the end!

We're just waiting for funding approval then 1st appt - been told to expect it to be 8-10 wks in total. I feel like we're getting somewhere at last and I'm actually quite excited now (in a scary kind of way)!

Good luck to you all for your treatments.

Sally xx

Registered
Hi All,

Just like to add a little to the thread.
I registered as a private patient at Nurture in 2007 and had a successful pregnancy resulting in a baby boy at first attempt there.
Before that i had failed icsi at a different clinic.
I have been back there for another try but im now a bit older and it didnt work out.
The clinic is really nice, really friendly and have always called me back when requested or expected.
I am now going down the donor route and have gone onto the Nurture waiting list , but unfortunalty there is a long list which is the only downside聽 -

Registered
Continued,

Sorry I accidentely sent the reply before I had finished.
I can honestly say that I really really recommend Nurture and wish you lots of luck

Ruby

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone who's added a reply. I feel much more confident about Nurture now and am now waiting for AF so can have pre-treatment scan & get going once more.
Best of luck to you all & hopefully none of us will be needing this website for too much longer Fiona

PS. Ruby, really hope you get a donor soon. Guessing your wait is even harder than the normal one for treatment as you've even less control over timings. Extra luck & thoughts with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts