Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of cycling again in February 2005 with a view to going to theatre for ec in March - depending on AF etc.  Christmas and more importantly the party season is in between giving me very little chance to avoid alcohol and delicious but naughty foods - even if I wanted it.

All the books likes Marylin Glenville, Zita West etc suggest a 4 month nutritional blitz before doing a cycle.  I don't have that time and in any event I have a very low tolerance for diets - they make me seriously miserable.

Has anyone heard of a three month or even shorter programme for improving nutrition prior to commencing a cycle which they would recommend.

Thanks

Peestick

(6th cycle - number 4 was positive - multiple problems - fibroids, pcos, blocked tube, short luteal phase adhesions and blocked tube - DS born July 2003)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Dear Peestick,

I've been following the diet and other suggestions up to a point.  When I find it stressing me out, then I stop.  The problem with the diets are that if you find one that says, "Never" to something you can probably find another that says "Sometimes" or "Always" to the same thing. 

I'm just trying to avoid stress and if the diets give me a little direction and make me feel more confident then good.  I'm feeling healthy so that makes me happy.

Good luck with everything.

x,
AlmaMay

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are so right about the stress levels.  After my third cycle failed I was very down and took six months out.  I went to a homeopathic doctor.  He gave me some sound common sense advice which I followed fairly closely and then ignored for the two months immediately prior to the cycle, basically because I had turned the corner and wasn't so down or IVF focused.

What I am trying to grapple with in my mind is whether the fact that I wasn't stressed out made the vital difference or the diet because I struck lucky on cycle 4.  I am leaning toward the lack of stress.  I was very stressed during cycle 5 (baby in hospital, heavy work commitments etc)

I am due a three  week holiday in January/beginning of Feb and so would like to cycle after that to get the benefit of less stress (hopefully the holiday bonk effect!) but wont have had the diet in place because of lifestyle.  So would it be better to wait until April when I suspect I will be less chilled.  I just cannot decide.

Thanks for your reply.  I think you are right, its stress avoidance that is the key.

All the very best for you with your treatment.

Peestick

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Peestick,
I did a 'sort-of-Marilyn' diet for my last cycle but I only had two months between cycles to do it.  I got a better result second time than the first and i do think even doing something about my diet for a short while really helped.  However Marilyn is a bit strict and it's easy to feel guilty.  I took some of her advice about nutritional supplements etc but I think she doesn't expect people to live in the real world - or have any fun!  And having fun and relaxing has to be a part of a good cycle too, don't you think?

Zita West does a slightly more relaxed and appropriate version and she explains what different foods and nutrients do for you, and suggests what you should avoid, eat loads of or eat moderately.  I found that alot more up my street - I believe mainly in just eating a varied diet with lots of different fruit and vegatables, less red meat, more fish, nuts and pulses etc will not only be best for my fertility but good for gradual and unpainful weight loss too.  I've not lost tons of weight but I have definitely toned up and changed shape - mostly from cutting out unhealthy fats and adding in the good ones like pumpkin, flax, olive oil, etc and from not drinking most of the time.

Even Zita West says you should spend about 3 months improving your diet but she helpfully suggests a 7 or a 10 day liver detox programme that is a good idea if you haven't got all that time and you just want to do a quick blitz before tx.
I'm going to do it - as I start downregging on 7 Jan that'll give me 7 days after new year!!!

Claire xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts