Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We are currently trying to make the decision between CARE and Nurture.  I would appreciate some advice / experience of either, positive or negative.  We are dealing with very severe MFI with probable SSR, so we want the clinic that will give us the best chance!  i know Nurture have higher liver birth rate which is very attractive, but CARE seem to have the edge on technology etc (I could be wrong in this it's just a feeling I have!).

Thanks in advance
H

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Happy Feet,

I can’t help you with experience of either Care or Nurture, but just wanted to let you know I’m wondering the same too, especially with regard to MF, and will be interested to see what others think. 

DH and I are Nottingham based and thinking of going private, cost permitting, as everything seems to take sooooo long on the NHS.

Have you made appointments to attend their open evenings? If you haven’t, they both have open evening dates on their websites and you just need to email/call to book a place.

Good luck and sorry I couldn’t answer your actual query! 

Mrs B xxx

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I can't make the decision for you but my DH and I are about to start a cycle of ICSI at Nurture. He had a SSR for azoospermia at City Hospital with Mr Lemberger (NHS) and we have some frozen vials.

We've been NHS so far and it didn't take long as they've cleared the list here at Queens (it was a couple of months) but the downside is we get one go then it's out with the cheque book.

We chose Nurture as I work in QMC so it's really easy for early morning scans and their results are good. They have been good so far - I had a scare earlier in the week with a poor result on my baseline scan but I phoned them up and they were happy to reassure this silly, panicking lady!!

I think both do open evenings so maybe you could take a look and see where you feel comfortable but at the end of the day they are both excellent clinics and you'll be well looked after in either.

Good luck!

Heather

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for the responses.  We actually live in Belfast, but to be honest there is not a lot of choice over here with regards to fertility treatment, hence we have looked further afield.  I am drawn to Nurture's high success rates, but CARE seem to get more couples with MFI.  Am still very unsure and don't want to do anything we'll regret later on.  We will def be going private as waiting lists for tx in NI are very long, over a year in most cases!

Decisions, decisions!!!

H
xo

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I'm only just starting DR through Nurture. All I can tell you is what the Fertility Clinic who confirmed NHS funding said to me when she gave me the option of Care or Nurture. She said I had the choice between the two but couldn't advise me either way and I had to make the decision myself. I chose Nurture. She then said "now that you have made the decision, I can tell you that you have made a good choice as Nurture have better stats for IVF success rates".

Good luck with whichever you choose  :)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Is there any time when both have open days close together so you can come over and visit? You might get a feel for them then, it would cost you more money but it could be a good investment and one of us can easily recommend a hotel and give you all the local info you need (buses/directions etc) to keep the cost down?

Heather

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hi everyone

I have no experience of CARE but lots with Nurture.  Nurture are very good and do have a good success rate - Our local GP used to be involved in fertility research and told me that NURTURE was the best and most successful, hence why we went there.

Early scans are a bit of a humbug especially as we are 2 hrs away but on this last attempt the consultant told me that i could have my scans at any time of day that would assist me - so sure they will accomodate anything you need.

xxx

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Wow, what a find.

We have been treated so far at Derby City and now that we have had 3 BFN for IUI, are about to be transferred to Care for IVF - seeing my cons in two weeks!  Yey..... dreading being told got to lose weight first though!!!

We didnt even get an option for Nurture (is this the private clinic inside QMC?), anyone know why?

Good luck to us all x

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don't know why you didn't get offered the choice but I can tell you that Nurture is private and part of the University of Nottingham not QMC as such, though that is where the University's medical is based (but we're being funded by NHS for one go at ICSI there)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just to add my thoughts to the thread.  I live in the North West and had my conceived my first DD at MFS in Manchester but felt that their standards were slipping we are subsequent FETs.  So when we were going to do our last ICSI treatment we moved clinics - we were looking in the Notts region as my DHs family are from Mansfield and could help looking after my DD while i was cycling.  We had appointments and referrals to both CARE and NURTURE as we wanted to 'interview' each clinic and after our meeting with James at Nurture we cancelled our appointment with CARE.  The team just seemed so dedicated and all our questions were answered we just got a really good feeling from the place.

I moved down with my DD (DH stayed in Manchester working) and i cycled in January 2007 and had a really good experience, my first time i was in agony after EC and had mild OHSS but this time i achieved a massive amount of eggs and had barely any discomfort.  I really felt looked after and that my treatment was tailored just to me - not what was convenient for the clinic.

I was blessed that my treatment worked and feel its was thanks to the wonderful staff at NURTURE - do be warned though - they do a very good job and you may be like me and have twins  :).

Good luck with whichever clinic you decide on using.

Amanda x

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi

We have to fill the forms in for IVF, we have a choice between Nuture or Care. What things do we need to be looking at?

Where is the best place to get information from?

Twinkle x

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I think both clinics have great reputations but I think it's very important to choose somewhere you feel comfortable with (it's stressful enough as it is!) and is easy to reach for all the early morning appointments during monitoring

I really recommend Nurture as they've been great for us but I've heard good report from Care too so maybe you should give them both a ring about open evenings.

We picked Nurture as they are so close to where I work and we live as well as their good results - it really helps when you have to be in at 7.30am every other day!

I hope that helps and good luck

Heather

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Its definately personal choice.

We went to CARE as have other tx at QMC (although not Nurture) and wanted a change as had been unsuccessful and also heard CARE had a larger success rate for over 35's at the time I looked into it.

I have no real bad words to say about CARE but I also have had friends who went to Nurture and have no bad words to say either about them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi all

I have only praise so far for Nurture, they have been quick and efficient in all aspects and all the staff are very kind and friendly, if i have had a problem and needed to phone them they have always phoned me back when they promised to.

I had a scan to see what was happening with my endo cysts on my ovaries which i had drained at Burton back in April, they told me the results there and then (waited 5 weeks for follow up at Burton)

The cysts are back and my Fibroids have grown another 10mm, so Mr Hopkisson arranged a meeting to discuss future treatment, he spoke in plain english and gave us the option of starting IVF in Jan 09 or to have a laparoscopic myomectomy to remove the fibroids and cysts on my ovaries and start IVF in March 09 after recovery. He didn't rush us to make a decision and even gave us his own email address so we could take a few days to think things over.

We have decided to go for the op.

I hope this helps.

Weeble x

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi All

I have reluctantly arrived at the stage where my DH and I need to choose where to have our 1 funded IVF cycle.  We have just started out final IUI cycle, but as I'm sure many of you know, we have to fill out our IVF paperwork on basting day and have been advised to make a decision beforehand just so that we are in the system if this IUI doesn't work.

Now, the HFEA site is all well and good, and I have stats coming out of my ears, but what I would really like is to have some honest opinions of what each of the clinics is actually like to attend.  What are the staff like?  How easy will it be to get appointment times that fit in with the rest of my working day?

Any opinions, good and bad, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Am

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't know about Nurture I'm afraid but I am in my 2WW after having IVF at Care Notts.

The staff are great esp the nurses who look after you during EC & ET. They all made me feel relaxed & confident that all would be ok. It was - slept through the EC, no pain or bleeding. We even managed to have a laugh!

The embryologist's rang me everyday between EC & ET telling me how my embies were doing & asking me how I was. They took my spare embryo to blast but it wasn't stable enough to freeze. However, she reassured me that I should feel good about the one's I had put back as they were more developed that the one that made it to blast.

I had my scans at a satellite clinic so only had 1 scan there but it was my best one. She read out all my follies & their sizes & told me how well I was doing (1st stimm scan).

Only time will tell if it has worked for me but I wouldn't hesitate with using them again. Hope this helps. x

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hiya,
I've had two cycles at Nurture (One NHS funded, and a second egg share IVF, I got a positive test and was absolutly over joyed, But sadly I miscarried at 6 weeks) I am now looking at starting the rollercoaster again.
I decided on Nurture in 2008 as the results are great there, But the one thing that aren't so good at are Organising (I went for my pre treatment 1-5 day scan in October 2009, started the buserlin July 2010..!!) They did apologise for this and have reasured me that the egg share scheme is alot more effcent, I do feel comfortable there, and the staff are nice But are Care more good on getting the process moving.?
After having a m/c feel my life is on hold untill I am back on treatment again. Thank You xx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts