Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if you could help me i was wondering if any one had this blood type and if so could you tell me abit about it.
i know it can cause problems in a pregnancy but i still dont understand what sort of things can happen ect!
hope someone can help cause i whant to get an idea before i start ivf :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Zoie  :)

I have this blood type.  Being rhesus negative is not that uncommon (about 15% of people?), and the doctors know how to deal with it, so don't worry!

I don't know a huge amount about it, but my understanding is that it can cause a problem in pregnancy only if your partner is rhesus positive, which would mean there is a chance the baby would also be rhesus positive.  In that case it's possible that your body would see the baby's blood type as 'foreign', and make antibodies that harm the baby's red blood cells.  To avoid this, you would be given an 'anti-D' injection after any pregnancy, and after any possible episode like a bump that might cause a bleed  during pregnancy. The injection deals with the antibodies. 

If you are worried, mention it to your nurse/doctor and they'll be able to talk you through it a lot better than I have!

Good luck with your treatment.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Helen
x

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info :)
hope your apointment went well and goodluck for the future x

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I am also negative and my sperm donor is positive, we have had one loss so needed anti D.  Look on the blood transfusion website very helpful in understanding
Good luck with treatment
L x

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

1 - 5 of 5 Posts