Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am on day 13 of stims and in pain and feeling sick. My clinic say I am ready for ec on Wednesday but wanted to check my estradiol level to rule out ohss.

My level came back as 16,800 (this is higher than they expected) and they say I am at slight risk of ohss and was I happy to carry on with this risk. I said yes!

I am now panicking whether I have made the right decision. Can any ladies tell me their estradiol levels just before ec to reassure me, thanks. 
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,093 Posts
Hi

If your clinic are fine for you to continue then I would trust their judgement.

With our most recent IVF cycle, I was told I was at high risk of OHSS as I had 40 follies (plus some smaller).

By 9 days of stimms I had 35 follies and my E2 levels were around 10,000 pmol/l and drugs were dropped right down and they considered postponing EC and coasting me for a while......I went for another scan after 12 days of stimms (with these much lower levels of drugs) and I had 40+ follies and my E2 levels were 13,000 pmol/l. 

I was told that if the levels had been higher than 15,000 pmol/l then I would have to coast but whilst my levels were still much higher than they'd have liked, they were pleased that they'd actually plateaued (sp?) rather than increased drastically over a few days so consultant decided to go ahead with my EC and I had the trigger shot.  As it turned out, I ended up getting 30 eggs collected and all were good & healthy and mature. 

We ended up having 5 day blasto transfer but even then, on day of ET, there was much discussion between consultant, embryologist and me and DP as to whether should go ahead with the transfer or freeze blasts immediately and have FET at later date......finally decided to go for the blast transfer and luckily I didn't get even a sniff of OHSS !

Do ensure you're drinking plenty of water (at least 3-4 litres a day) as well as keep your protein levels up....and drinking isotonic drinks can help too.

Good luck
Natasha
 
G

·
Hi there

That is quite high but it really depends on how many follies you have? Do you know how many there are? Keep drinking about 4 litres of water a day and through the night and that will really help - if you are feeling v sick and are in noticable pain do not overlook this as it is v impt.....If on drinking the water you feel a bit better then the levels may have dropped a bit - I guess I am saying do not take too much of a risk as OHSS is very serious!

I would go completely by your symptoms...see how you feel later and tonight? - and if you are any worse then do call them.

Good luck!

xxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I have had a chat with dh and my consultant and we have decided not to continue with tx. I feel too ill to continue and the thought of getting worse after the hcg injection is just too much for me to risk.

I wish you all well with your journeys, Claire xx
 
G

·
Hi there - I am sorry you have had to cancel....is it worth drinking looads, coasting and just going back for one more blood test tomorrow?

If not, then I hope they will have learned from this and that they manage you a little closer next time!

Lots of hugs

xxx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
Hi there

Ive not read any replies so im sorry if i am repeating anything here.

On my last cycle my E2 levels shot up to 22.000, and i had 20 follies
I had to coast for 5 days, and i went for EC once my levels dropped, i think they were at 13.000 on the last blood test before EC
I was warned i may develop OHSS, so i made sure i drank gallons of water, straight after EC i drank a 2litre bottle of water
and i swear blind that it was doing that that warded the OHSS off
I carried on with the water right through my 2ww, and i was fine, infact out of the 3 cycles ive had, that was the best i felt
considering i was expecting to be very ill, and i felt awful before EC, i was very sore indeed, but it all turned out ok for me.
Wishing you all the best hunni  ^hugme^
love Danni x x
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,093 Posts
sapphire73 said:
Thank you for the replies.

I have had a chat with dh and my consultant and we have decided not to continue with tx. I feel too ill to continue and the thought of getting worse after the hcg injection is just too much for me to risk.

I wish you all well with your journeys, Claire xx
So sorry you've had to cancel ^hugme^ but if you're feeling poorly then there's no point risking it as the HCG injection can trigger the OHSS.

BUT....as Lukey and Danni have mentioned, is it not possible for you to coast for a few days...this means no injections at all......and hopefully this will bring your E2 levels down and then proceed with EC once they've reached a level they're happy with ? Seems such a shame to get this far and I know when there was discussions about me coasting, my consultant said that coasting can often be very successful....is it worth raising this with your consultant ?

Whatever decision, please do keep your fluids up and I hope you feel better soon.

Take care
Natasha
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,096 Posts
Hello Sapphire  ^hugme^

I'm so sorry you've had to cancel your treatment. I hope you soon feel better.

Emma xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,891 Posts
So sorry to read this honey.  you are making the right decision if this is what you feel most comfortable with

xxxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for your replies.

I feel I have made the right decision to stop as I feel so ill my body can't take anymore! I really don't feel strong enough to carry on to ec. I am on painkillers every 4 hrs and in constant pain plus the sickness means I can't eat properly. I am trying to drink plenty of water but it is hard.  :'(

Does anyone know how long it will take for my follicles to go down? I am assuming they won't continue to grow without the Menopur and will shrink and be absorbed. I just want the pain/bloating to go away and feel 'normal' again! Any info would be great.

Thanks xx
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top