Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I really don't want to be a pain and keep asking the same q's that have been asked before but af has really screwed up my plans this month and has left me not knowing how to interpret my results.

2 cycles ago I took clomid 50mg. Day 21 progesterone (adjusted for ov day) = 31. This means I ov'd. Great.

Last cycle just gone I didn't take the clomid as I wanted to see what my day 21 P (adjusted) was naturally. I used my temperature rise to tell me when I ov'd, it was fairly clear cut and i'm confident that I knew the day on which I ov'd and so I'd booked my BT for 7 days after this.

I usually have a luteal phase of 14 days ... so was expecting af on weds, but she turned up 2 days early yesterday.

I've just got my results and they are 27. Does this indicate no ov? Does LP change from month to month or had I got the wrong ov day? If so could 2 days make the difference between a result of 30+ and a result of 27? If I have a short LP is this a bad thing?

I was expecting to get a result of 30 again and know exactly what it meant, now I'm just confused. There's never been any problem identified with my ov so its a pretty big thing if I fond out now that its up the spout too.

Thanks as always, Kerry x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Yes, even a day or 2 out regards progesterone blood test can give inaccurate results.  If your result was 27 nmol/l then this would be classed as borderline ovulation ie you ovulated but had blood tested too early or that you ovulated but the egg wasn't mature enough when released (like follicle to be minimum of around 18mm before rupturing and releasing egg).

Your luteal phase can vary slightly month to month....some women will have exactly the same and very very regular cycles, others might not.  It's a complete myth that luteal phase is always 14 days.  A luteal phase can be anywhere between 10 - 17/18 days and be classed as normal so unless yours is under 10 days then it wouldn't be seen as a problem.

It sounds as though you did ovulate....how long was your actual cycle and what day did you ovulate ?

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Natasha and thanks for your reply, I was thinking and hoping that it might have been a borderline result just skewed slightly by some confusion over days. I ov'd on day 18 which is quite regular for me its always day 17/18 ... and my cycle is 31/32 days so I thought my LP was fairly continous too. I reckon it was just the witch this month fancied playing he tricks as she arrived mid-camping trip over the bank holiday just for a laugh, even though she wasn't due til tomorrow.

Back on the clomid again now, day 2 although I'm unsure how useful it will be as from these results it seems like my progesterone is the same with or without it, and seeing as it was prescribed to boost (like yours was) then its not really doing me much good. I'm going to give it this one more cycle and then have a think about whether I really want to take it anymore.

Thanks again as always you're fab x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts