Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Im just today come out of hospital after being admitted with OHSS which only came on bad last sunday and it kinda got worse..was so bloated like ridiculous and belly fell so tight and uncomfortable and had alot of pains around my ribs. Had tummy scans which showed ovaries huge and alot of fluid in abdomen and around kidney and liver so they admitted me to be safe. they gave me clexane injections whilst in there but stopped now im out cos im moving around more..Its alot better than it was, im still bloated an a tad sore around ribs but no where near as bad now.

Anyway they did bloods last wed which made me 12 days past transfer and im pregnant! obviously over the moon and the leve was 376 and then after 2 days was 745 so im around 4 weeks I think? 16 days past transfer tomorrow which would have been my test date - did a HPT and very strong positive came up within seconds! I was told OHSS coming on at this late stage is a good sign but its settling down now and obviously got me thinking is that a bad sign? as its aggravated by pregnancy hormones?

Any advice be great xxxx

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Congratulations on your ^BFP^ so sorry to hear that you have been so poorly with OHSS- it is usually worst in the the women who have BFP's!! Take care of yourself, as it can reoccur- one of the poor ladies on the London thread was hospitalised 3 times when she got her BFP.

L x

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Kez

I'm going through pretty much what you are!

I have had OHSS in the past and ended up in hospital.  However this cycle, although I got it, I managed to keep it under control during egg collection and transfer.  About 5 days after transfer the OHSS pretty much disappeared and I was back to normal.  Then last Saturday (12dpo) it came back with avengance!  I pretty knew then I was pregnant as there was no reason for it to come back unless I was.  I did HPTs on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and all ^BFP^.  I then went for a blood test on the clinic on Tuesday (OTD) and that was positive too unfortunately they don't do HCG levels.  It had been getting progressively worst but since Thursday it has got slightly better and today I feel a bit more normal - although still bloated.  I'm just like you so worried that it could mean the levels are dropping and therefore the OHSS is getting better but I have spoken to a friend who went through and she said hers did get more comfortable as your body gets used to it.  She had the bloating up to 7 weeks and then felt better although her ovaries were still swollen until 12 weeks.  She carried on with work.Apparently it does hang around until 12 weeks when your placenta takes over.

I've tried to read up quite a bit about it and lots of people have a stay in hospital after a BFP with OHSS but not for the whole 12 weeks so I keep telling myself they must have got better.

I've cut back my water drinking a little as I was drinking loads and am now back to drinking to 2-3 litres but I'm eating loads of protein and having protein drinks and bars - which really seem to be helping.

So sorry I can't help about the levels but I really understand what you're going through and I'll be interested to see the answers you get to the post. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Take care and congratulations on your ^BFP^.

Mustard
x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi hun,

Dont have any answers just wanted to congratulate you on your BFP! And i hope the ohss eases for you soon

Nikki xx

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank girls for your replies

Mustard - sorry your going through this too hun but bit congrats on your  ^BFP^ its a nice feeling aint it when it actually sinks in! its such a worry tho aint it, I think i need to stop readind on here as I seem to be coming across stuff that makes me panic and worry ::) my DH thinks I need to stop too as wont do me any good!

Anyway - my OHSS is better again today aswell - i can sleep on my side now and i can breate better and the pains have eased lots - the bloating still there but not half as bad - god I hope not a bad sign?I keep getting funny sharp pain down below - its scary! I do believe in my embies as i believe they are strong and the levels are good but i just hope the keep doubling..

How are you feeling??? better? ive been told that it can flare up again and maybe its just our bodies getting used to it now - I didnt have OHSS at all after egg coll that I know of i just flared up when got preg.. ^idiot^

Hope your ok - when is your scan?

xxxx

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Kez

So good to hear that I'm not alone (not that I would wish you going through this IYKWIM).  My OHSS was definitely better yesterday but I had a terrible night again and really couldn't get comfortable and seemed to bloat up a bit.  Today it's been ok although still bloated just not quite so high up.  I'm monitoring what is going in and out (lovely to be weeing in a jug  :eek:) and the output is gradually catching up with the input and at the moment for today I've wee'ed out more than I took in (sorry way TMI  ^tmi^). 

I did some more digging on the internet and like you think I need to stop.  What will be will be eh!  I did find some positive stories of people easing off over a week or two (I've had the OHSS back for nine days now) and quite a few of them, whilst still a bit bloated lost the really uncomfortable feeling and the pains, so I'm feeling a bit more positive now.

I keep telling myself my embies were good and strong, I've had no spotting, a few AF type pains which I think are a good sign, my boobs are still veiny, big with pointed nipples (not very attractive  ;D) and I've still got a slight metallic taste in my mouth all symptoms I've had for a while now, so I am sure things are doing ok. I need to stay positive  ^reiki^.

I've yet to book my scan - the clinic said 2.5 to 3 weeks after the BFP so I'm still debating when to do it, as I want one as soon as possible but don't want it to be too early to see a heartbeat.  When is yours? Have you worked out your dates yet?

I'm 4+6 today ... can't wait to get to 5 weeks tomorrow - seems like a small milestone!

Anyway hon - keep in touch. Let's get through this together!

Mustard
x

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
OHSS when you get it late like that is because your baby implanted early (most likely) well before your ovaries had shut down properly anyway and then the baby starts releasing the HCG hormone and this keeps the ovaries fired up generally until the end of teh first tri when teh placenta takes over and the ovaries start to shrink.  That said you will not feel AS BAD as you did for that first week or two and i expect you were on a drip and stuff which will have helped.  I remained that bloated size until i outgrew that belly because of the pregnancy which was probably around 12-14 weeks too.  But again after that first two awful weeks i could at least walk straight and was slightly more comfortable.  Also my doc signed me off from wehn i got the OHSS until 12 weeks when i had seen my cons.  I also used the OHSS to get an emergency scan at 9 weeks because i wanted to check on ovaries (and got to see babies too  ;)).

Good luck with your pregnancy  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks eggsharer for your advice honey and congrats on your pregnancy wow twins! how fab - lots lof luck xx

Mustard - how are you today??? yes we shall stick with this together! I have had more bloods done today and mine have gone from 745 to 2232 since fri!!! so im over the moon and my OHSS is tonnes better so dont worry!!! my ovaries are still enlarged and one of my follies has grown again which im sure is the corpeus luteum...im getting a little more excited now as been so scared all was going wrong cos the ohss was getting better but ive been on 4 nutrient shakes a day and 2 litres of water so thats helping!! all my fluid has gone from my kidney and liver and only a sliver of fluid left so thats good!!

Let me know how your doing?! I still have hardly any symptons but tiredness! and creamy discharge tmi! I wanna feel sick tho!! lol

xxxxxxx

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Kez

Congratulations on your ^BFP^  I am sorry that your suffering with OHSS  ^hugme^

I heard that drinking Lucozade was supposed to help in the symptons  :)  :)

x x x x

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
oh yes defo drink lucozade how could i forget its the lucozade sport ones though i drank at least one bottle a day until i was 12 weeks as it keeps all the levels of something or other good inside you and keeps you hydrated.  I drank it from the day i got OHSS (3 weeks pregnant) until 12 weeks and i managed to avoid hospital totally. 

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh Kez ... that's fantastic news!!!  ^banana^ I'm so chuffed for you (and relieved for me too  ;)). The rates are really shooting up - have they mentioned the possibility of twins?  My OHSS is definitely getting better too but I still have quite a neat bump - I quite like it because it looks like a baby bump  ::).  I can now sleep on my side and am not so out of breath as I was.  

I'm the same no real symptoms still - a little bit tired, still got the metallic taste and boobs are still tender.  I have felt sick a couple of times but not sure if I'm imagining it - I haven't actually been sick.  Oh and I'm sooo hungry - I wake up in the morning and could eat a horse!

Have you got your first scan booked?  I'm going to book mine for 16th of June I'll be exactly 7 weeks then - gawd another 2ww!!! I'll be going  ^idiot^ by then.

Mustard
x

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Hello Sweetpea,

hope you feeling a little better today?

XXX

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hello girls

Feeling alot better actually - still a little bloated but god I hope my lack in symptons not a bad sign but my levels were doubling well so no reason why would just stop hopefully..

Mustard - I have my scan on 19th - how you doing?? its ages away aint it!

xxxxxx

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Kez

Yes I'm feeling better too and although slightly bloated - nothing major.  Back to normal really.

Symptom-wise - I'm pretty tired and always hungry. Boobs are still tender. Other than that pretty normal - no sickness.  So let's hope we're both just lucky  ^pray^.

I'm going to book my scan next week - hopefully it will be Monday the 16th - 10 days to go  :eek:.

Take care
Mustard
x

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Mustard

Glad to hear your feeling better also

Me too! bloating gone down from OHSS! must be the nutrient shakes working (I hope so) - still got a little pot belly tho which I quite like too!

My symptons are only very tired and very dry skin, eczmea flared up..boobs look a little bigger but not sore and no sickness maybe a little nausea from time but not much...I go really hungry in the afternoon but less in the mornings!! ^idiot^ but other than feeling tired and no energy im fine!!

good luck for your scan too, nuts waiting aint it? mines 19th. we are very close in dates too!!

Kez xx

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Hello ^wave^,
I'm the friend that Mustard was talking about (I think ;)!)

My OHSS did tale off after 17dpo and then got significantly better at about 7 weeks. I had no other pregnancy symptoms until 7-8 weeks when the nausea and sore boobs kicked in. As you can see, I'm now almost 20 weeks pregnant with twins so I wouldn't worry too much about lack of other symptoms! ;)

Hope you are both feeling better soon, and time passes quickly till your first scans ^hugme^

Debs
x

·
Registered
245 Posts
HopeSpringsEternal said:
Hello ^wave^,

My OHSS did tale off after 17dpo and then got significantly better at about 7 weeks. I had no other pregnancy symptoms until 7-8 weeks when the nausea and sore boobs kicked in. As you can see, I'm now almost 20 weeks pregnant with twins so I wouldn't worry too much about lack of other symptoms! ;)

Hope you are both feeling better soon, and time passes quickly till your first scans ^hugme^

Debs
x
You certainly were .. hope you didn't mind hon.

Mustard
x

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Mustard said:
HopeSpringsEternal said:
Hello ^wave^,

Debs
x
You certainly were .. hope you didn't mind hon.

Mustard
x
Of course I don't :) ^hugme^

Debs
x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts