Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,
I really really need your advice, I had egg collection on tuesay where 29 eggs were collected.  15 were for me as doing egg share.  Of the 15 only 9 were mature and only 4 fertilised.

Since wednesday I have been unwell, bloating, abdominal pain, nausea.  Went to clinic today and have moderate ohss, the dr said there was no need for me to go to hospital.

Today is day 3 post egg collection and 3 are doing well so they want to take them to blast, with a possible transfer on Sunday.

Dr has said if I got pregnant ohss would almost certainly get worse, but that if they were to freeze embryos they might not survive the defrost and have a lower implantation rate. 

I really don't know what to do do I go for the fresh transfer and take the risk of ohss or leave it and run the risk of losing embryos.  This is my first Icsi and really don't want to have done it for nothing - I at least want the chance......

I would love your advice on this one x

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi minkie114. i also didnt want to read and run either.
i had 21 eggs on my ec therefore all had to be frozen and i also had mild ohss and got kept in hospital overnight for observation.
it took me a week or so to start feeling better after it and i was totally devastated that that was it over for me for the time being and the only thought going through my mind was " i am fine now so i could have gone ahead with the et" but when i researched ohss afterwards, i was glad that they made the decision that they did to postpone the treatment for a few months as pg does make ohss worse. i, unlike you pet, didnt have to make the decision myself, it was made for me at the hospital so i think like aisha says, you have to make the right decision for you.
this is probably of no help to you but just wanted to send you  ^hugme^ ^hugme^
michelle x

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi there - i had OHSS on my first cycle. I didn't really identify the symptoms around the time of EC despite being coasted for a few days and having lots of small empty follicles. I got 13 eggs that time. I had an awful lot of stomach pain post EC but it died down. I had 1 blast transfered and one week following that (2 days before pregnancy test day) i started to feel really awful - bloated, sick and very tight, couldn't lie down as stomach was rock hard.

I did my preg test (+ve) and spent the rest of the weekend in bed. 2 days later i went back to be checked by the clinic and got sent straight to hospital where i spent the next 10 days (and had 7 litres of fluid drained off my stomach). It started to reach my lungs which is v dangerous and that's when they put the drain in.

However, looking back on all of this now, i got pregnant and i have my lovely daughter and despite a horrible 10 days in hospital feeling absolutely awful, it was all worth it!

I've just had my EC trying for #2 and they've controlled the cycle really well and haven't got any symptoms as of yet.

It's your decision to make but if i was in your shoes, I'd be going for the ET and not freezing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi there, similarly to Josie D my partner had mild OHSS that turned to severe after her BFP...she was horrendously ill for her first trimester was hospitalised 3 times and had to have a laparoscopy for a contorted ovary when 11 weeks pregnant....we were given the choice like you and it was our first time round so we decided to go ahead and of course like Josie we are blessed with our little one and wouldn't change a minute of it because of that

BUT

I am doing IVF now and we have decided that if a similar situation occurred we would cancel the cycle, it is such a difficult choice but lets put it like this, my partner will NEVER do IVF again in case she got OHSS again, it was very scary for us..especially surgery with our little one at such an early stage of development..I know its easier for us to say now as we have our little girl but I just wanted to share our experience..

I really feel for you having to make this choice  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts