Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls , i will be on my first day of the 2 week wait on sunday.
I was reading recently that 2 servings of oily fish should be included in our  weeks diet
I hate fish with a passion , but determind to eat it.
Firstly which fish are classed as oily, i think tuna is and thats not to bad.
Any oily fish out there that does not taste like fish, or indeed look like it, but contain the nutrients. :-\ ???
I know i sound a bit mad, and now that i think about it i probably am,  ;D ,but any suggestions would be great.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
CAthy, how about tinned salmon, or you can buy fish oil capsules from chemists. Good luck in your 2ww.

Suzy

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
You can even buy the fish oil in liquid bottle form to drink - my mother used to swear by it -  :eek: not something I could do but I have heard good things about it.  If you buy the tablets buy a good brand not a cheaper one.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi Cathy
I don't think tuna is classed as oily fish unfortunately - and I have heard that during prenancy you shouldnt have too much of the tinned stuff - but I'm not sure about that, so would check it out. If you can face it, you could try salmon or mackerel or herring, as these all contain the 'right' sort of oils - and omega 3 i think it is. If you really hate it tho, you could try eating walnuts and brazil nuts - in fact a lot of nuts contain similar oils - also, avocados are sposed to be excellent for their oils and vitamin E content.
Anyway, good luck!!!
Love ruby k xx

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi Cathy,
As Ruby K says, tinned tuna doesn't count, as the processing removes most of the omega-3 oils from the fish (in fact, it reduces it to levels similar to white fish). Tinned salmon, mackerel and pilchards do count, though. As you're not keen on fish, you may want to try and get your omega-3 from other sources, including eggs from hens fed with omega-3 rich grains (they're called Columbus eggs, and I know M&S do their own version and I'm sure supermarkets do, too), as well as pumpkin seeds and flaxseed (a.ka.linseed), and walnuts, all of which contain both omega-3 and -6 oils (most nuts and seeds only contain omega-6). I get the flaxseeds and grind them in a coffee grinder (one of those little ones) and sprinkle them on yoghurt (sounds disgusting but it just gives it a bit of texture, and is really nice if you put banana with it, too). If this sounds yuk, and if you don't want to take a fish oil, you might want to consider a flaxseed oil capsule, but if you can stomach the fish oil it's better as the conversion rate in your body (i.e. how much of the oil your body then uses) is apparently greater than with the plant varieties. But still worth it if the thought of fish makes you feel 'ugghghh!' and it's a total, non-negotiable no-go zone :) Also a good option for vegetarians.
Solgar do one (Fresh Linseed Oil 1250mg Softgels) as do BioCare (Linseed Oil 1000).

Just so you know, here's a list of what's classed as oily, and what's not:

Oily fish includes:
• Salmon
• Trout
• Mackerel
• Sardines
• Pilchards
• Herring
• Kippers
• Eels
• Whitebait

These count as oily fish whether they're canned, fresh or frozen.

Hope this helps
Martha
x

·
Registered
108 Posts
M & S are about to lauch a milk with Omega 3 in it and it is not supposed to taste of fish !!  :-X

Not see it yet but read about it this week.

Dawn

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi, just thought i'd add, Clearblue are doing vitamins now and i got some that have folic acid, omega3 and ginger in them. Also i got a packet of mixed seeds from Julian Graves health shop that have pumpkin, sunflower, linseed and sesame seeds in. I have fruit and fibre cereal for breakfast and add the seeds to that....it's yummy lol! x

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Hi girls,

alternately you can buy Zita Wests DHA, which has all the oily fish stuff you need, its expensive but worth it as I hate fish with a passion too  ^zombie^.

hugs

Debs
xxxxxxx

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the ginger is for if and when you finally get pregnant, to help with the morning sickness! We should be so lucky eh??  ::)

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
yved33 said:
I think the ginger is for if and when you finally get pregnant, to help with the morning sickness! We should be so lucky eh?? ::)
Ah ok, thanks, "we should be so lucky" - hmmmmmmmmm yeah with you there hun ::) :( One day - one day (fingers firmly crossed).

Wonder how it helps with the morning sickness cause the smell and taste makes me feel sick so probably wouldn't be something I'd go too! ;D

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hello Cathy

M & S do some lovely fish my dh  & I eat their peppered salmon about 3-4 times a week I make us a lovely salad with lettuce,rocket salad, raddish, cress, spring onion, carrot, red peppers, basically anything healthy I can find a little parmesan cheese and some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Yummy.  Seriously M & S fish is the best. ::)  And you can jazz it up with a nice salad or stirfry, noodles or something nice !

Yodaxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.