Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Ive just been to my first stims scan only 1 follicle was seen, my lining is still thin and they couldn't seen the other ovary. I'm really upset, my AMH at start of treatment was 2.2, I was told 5-10% chance of getting to EC so I shouldn't be surprised by this but Im getting pains where my ovaries are so was expecting something. The lovely nurse said the pain is my body trying to respond. I'm on 450 menopur, having accupunture and DHEA. They have taken blood and will call later but they think will have 4 more days of stims then another scan. If no improvement then we will need to look for a DE (the irony of it as I wanted to be an egg donor) Has anyone been in this situation and managed to grow follicles/lining ? Does anyone have any advice? Im having accupunture and trying to increase my protein intake (im veggie) Any advice/support would be very welcome

Thank you in advance xx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I know it is frustrating to see only one follicle but don't loose hope. Today I had my second scan the size of the follicle has only increased to 6-7mm. It is my 7th day on Gonal-f. Ovaries usually takes long depending on the age or conditions like PCOS or endometriosis.
I am a veggie too. Avacardo, eggs, lentils, sprouts are good since of protein. Also kiwi fruit is a very good antioxidant so have that every day. I have also read somewhere that using hot water bottle on ur tummy can improve follicle growth.
Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi nupur

Thank you for replying, i really appreciate the advice ☺

Best wishes and good luck with your cycle

Xxx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi mrsowl

Your story struck a chord with me ... I'm in the middle of my second attempt at IVF, on Menopur  450 and just had Day 12 scan and still only 2 smaller-than-normal (8-10mm) follicles on my right ovary (my left is inaccessible)  :-\
On Day 7 they were negligible (5mm).  But, at least they are growing ... maybe I'm just a slow grower!
Am going back no Friday (Day 14) to see if any improvement.  I haven't even contemplated DE yet (or rather, I have thought and dismissed but now that I am in the situation ....)
Sorry I don't have a magic answer for you but thought I could at least let you know there are others in a similar situation.
I haven't taken DHEA, am just on lots of vitamins and hot water bottle plus balanced diet.  Fingers crossed.

Hope that they grow for you.
Best of luck

Raspberry Ripple

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi Raspberry Ripple

Thank you for replying, I hope that everything goes well at your scan on Friday.

My cycle was cancelled yesterday due to not responding, hubby and I have agreed DE is the next step for us, so I'm doing some research around that before my review in 2 weeks. I think for us DE was already in our minds as an option, but it 's still alot to get my head around (if that makes sense!)

I hope that everything goes well for you, best wishes for friday xxxx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi mrsowl, I had the same problem with my 1st attempt in January, it was a horrible experience, we ended up cancelling the ivf and converted to iui instead, which resulted in a bfn as I expected, however as it was converted it didn't class as an attempt so I was allowed another go for free, I have been taking Dhea since the last attempt and have now started #2 and I'm desperately hoping to make it to EC even if it is only for 1 follicle, as they say it only takes 1! If this fails then I have been looking into double embryo donation, i feel like I'm just wasting my time with my own egg! Hope everything works out for you xxx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for all your responses

mrsowl - hoping that DE works out for you ... it certainly sounds like an option with a much better success rate.

Kelly88 - where did you get your DHEA, how long have you been taking it and how have you found it? did your clinic recommend it?

nupur - how is your growing going? I'm hoping it is heading in the right direction.

I had some bad news today that my follicles aren't growing since Wed ... in fact, they seem to have shrunk! The nurses really can't understand it. I've got a follow-up appointment with my consultant next Thursday to discuss other options and see if there is any point pursuing anything other than DE, which is last resort, if anything, for us.

Sending out lots of luck to you all

Raspberry Ripple
xx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi mrsowl!

I had a similar situation with you two weeks ago. In my first ivf cycle I did not respond well to drugs I had just two eggs which actually developed. I was on 300 menopur in the first days and then 250. ( short protocol). My eggs became 20 mm, the one was fertilized but unfortunately it was not developed (poor quality egg) so there was no transfer. My fsh is 18 and my Amh low. My doctor told me there is no reason to continue in ivf cycle 2 with drugs because I am a poor responder. He suggested going for a seminatural cycle with femara (this gives 1-3 eggs) -hopefully good this time!- and if unsuccessful then proceed with natural cycle. If unsuccessful, then I should consider DE. Did your clinic recommend something like this? I am currently (till September #ivf2) on cyclacur just to relax my ovaries.

He did not recommend taking any vitamins I just take folic acid, however I want to take sth that would improve my eggs.

I wish all the best to you and think positive! If  we believe we can do it then we will.

Xxx!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts