Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had results back tuesday from my husbands latest sperm sample and I got a very worrying phonecall saying they only found 1 sperm and it wasn't moving?    :(       

We have had 2 ICSI treatments now both with very few sperm but at least 15 minimum, they said it was his worse sample yet and that we need to discuss what we want to do, our options are:

Go ahead with our ICSI go in september but have donnor sperm on standby in case we need them? (He and I feel this isn't an option at the moment, very sorry if I upset anyone who is using donnor.) Or:

Have further investigations to see if there is any more sperm present in his testicles? We have actually booked an appointment privately in desperation with a Urologist to disscuss things further, app this saturday. More money.    :eek:       

I've  spent all night so far crying, and I know poor hubby is now really worried too, allthough he is putting on a brave face for me? We feel so helpless and to us this can change everyhting, we always joke about wether our son/daughter will look like me or him have his lovely big blue eyes or my green ones have our curly hair or be bright like him (not me!!!) I'm just so scared now that we wont be able to have our own child.        :(       

Has anyone else had a similar situation which turned out ok?           

We are considering accupuncture and have booked up with 2 different accupuncture consultants to see what they say, he hates needles but he'll give anything a go, he said he would even take the chinese herbs too if it might help, bless him.

He has also given up alcohol & caffiene( we normally start this 3 months before treatment) and is taking multi vits etc for men plus a few extras.

Its hard as I dont want to upset him, but i cant consentrate or think of anything else.           

Please can anyone give us a hopefull story. Thank you.

Love poppins x

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dear Poppins,

You poor thing. What a terrible shock and this on top of 2 failed ICSI attempts. IVF/ICSI is really hard and not having enough of the raw products, to even continue trying, is heartbraking.

We are in a different boat as my DH was discovered to have no sperm after cancer treatment. Years later he still does not produce any sperm in his ejaculate.

There is a lot that you can do to improve your DH's sperm count. Common things that people try are vitamins/supplements, acupuncture, no alcohol/smoking/coffee, organic diet and a whole host of things. I hope that some other people will post their own experience of how particular treatments helped this condition as we have had no positive experience.

It may be that your DH is producing sperm but that they are just not appearing in his sample. There be a blockage or condition that is stopping them getting all the way through.

The Urologist should be able to advise on this. Your DH needs blood tests to determine if there is a hormonal reason and then an examination/operation to see if there is an obstruction/reason. Maybe more sperm can be surgically extracted from his testes.

It is significant that you have already had 2 failed attempts. I wish that I had spent more time looking at sperm DNA issues when we had our ICSI cycles. If the sperm have a high rate of DNA damage (and the lack of sperm is due to an obstruction) then sperm harvested through a biopsy may give you a higher chance of success.

This is a new and controversial topic and not well supported in the UK and by many NHS Consultants (many of whom are conservative by training).

I wish you all the best for your appointment on Saturday. Please post again as I am sure that there are lots of people on FF who have expertise in this area but being the holiday season they may be away.

Good luck!

With warmest regards,

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Hi Poppins,

I don't often post on this site but when I read your message it could have been one that I posted a while back. We found out 18 months ago that DH has a zero count and after a testicular biopsy (where they found a few sperm) we went on to have an icsi cycle but unfortunately they didn't find any sperm on the day. We too couldn't get our heads round the donor issue back then but we did have the eggs fertilised with donor sperm and 3 embies are still in the freezer. We were lead to believe by that clinic that there was more life on mars than in DH's spuds and spent most of this year coming to terms with donor treatment. We ended up feeling very let down by that clinic and changed to a new one earlier this year.

In the process of going forward with diui at the new clinic, my consultant recommended I have a laparoscopy to check out my bits and bobs and whilst having that I met a really lovely gynae who is linked to our fertility clinic. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he spoke to the head honcho of our clinic and they have agreed that there is still a chance that they could find some sperm if we go for another icsi. We are going to go for it in October and we will have donor sperm on standby. Still no guarantees but we both feel that we have to give it one last attempt before we give up.

I still can't give you the happy ending that you wanted to hear but I just wanted to say "never give up on your dream". Has you DH considered SSR (Surgical Sperm Recovery) as they can often find more like that than a normal SA.

Keep talking to each other and you will get through it!
Lou xxx

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hi there

We've had our ups and downs on the sperm production front too and 2 of our 3 cycles were pretty rubbish as a result of using frozen sperm on the day (none available in fresh).

Just to add to the debate, the urologist we are talking to in NY would prefer to use (1) fresh sperm (2) freshly retrieved sperm (3) frozen.  In other words, if there are none on the day of EC, best to go for SSR then and not use frozen as back-up.

We are non-obstructive azoospermia though, he may have something different to say for obstructive!  We will be hearing more from him soon as DH is having bloods repeated.

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi Poppins

We are trying L-Carnitine and Acetyl Carnitine (the ingredients in Proxeed).  It takes up to six months for significant improvements to show and we will probably be having round 3 before then but will let you know if things improve.  Our fertilisation rate with ICSI is around 30% and count is around 1 million, I don't produce many mature eggs even on maximum dose so we were very lucky to get two to transfer this time.  Proxeed is very expensive but has had medical studies to back it up (see their website), it is about 1/2 the price if you buy the L-Carnitine and Acetyl Carnitine independently (around £40.00 per month).  My DH also takes a multivitamin and antioxidants for extra vitamin C & E + Omega 3-6-9.

Has anyone else tried Proxeed?

Poppins, best of luck and really hope that the Urologist can help.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all your reply's.

At our consultation it was discovered that DH has no blockage just a very low sperm count. He said our best chance is to go for SSR (sergical sperm removal) and hopefully that there should be some there to use? there is still a chance there could be none but we need to give it a go to see. I'm due to start next go in about 2 weeks, feel very nervous, as I have P,C,O,S and produced 27 & 23 eggs before we dont want to waiste them all plus both times I had slight OHSS which is painfull but we are willing to take the risk.

DH and I have had 2 goes at accupuncture now in the hope it may improve things even if it is a short space of time. We have booked up 10 sessions, hoping to get them in before E/C& SRR.

Thanks again for the helpfull reply's we will  look into the dif vits etc. DH is taking about 8 dif ones inc vitamins for men, omega 3&6, vit c, and L'artinine-sp?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.