Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My DH and I have been following an organic diet plus drinking filtered water for about 3mths now. We took advice from the Foresight website.

Anyone tried this too?  It has not worked so far so are we just wasting our money?!!

Any views welcome.

Catnap xx

·
Registered
175 Posts
We're on the organic diet too (after I read Marylin Glenville's book) I've also got us taking all manner of supplements.  I must say that although it costs more, 9times out of 10 the organic food tastes better.  We've only been on it for 2 months though and like you, so far no luck... Hopefully it will be beneficial to this treatment....  ^reiki^ ^reiki^
LOL Caroline xx

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Catnap,

i too am on organic diet, i've been on it since feb, and i do struggle.

My local shop is sainsburys( i also work in there in a concession) so it should be nice and easy to shop. They ALWAYS run out of organic food which really annoys me. I then have to drive to tescos on the other side of town. Our local village does an organic vegetable delivery box but the time i bought that most of it went to waste.

I changed my diet in other ways as well, like cutting out dairy products, not eating anything with sugar or oil in. My periods became more regular, less painful and lighter, my pcos has disappeared and my skin is much smoother not to measure losing quite a few pounds.

i'm about to start ivf and hopefully all this hard work has paid off!

Good luck with your diet!

Lots of love

Emmak ^reiki^

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Both

Thanks for the replies.

Caroline - my local is Sainsbury's too and we've worked out that sat/sun is the best time to shop!  The rest of the week there is nothing organic left! 

It's just so expensive but a health advisor told me that organic produce has 40 times the amount of nutrients as non-organic.  I can't say I've noticed any real difference yet but I will stick to it a bit longer as I am sure it takes time to work through your system.

Good luck to you both.

Catnap x

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Dh and I started the marilyn glenville diet and supplements four months ago, and although we have not conceived, we have just been through our first phase of IUI (I'm on the 2ww) and with the lowest drugs dose, I produced five follicles, four of which were a healthy size.  Dh's sperm count which was on the low side of normal with a large number of abnormal sperm was also much better than when he was tested some 12 months ago.  I really don't know if the diet and minerals worked, but they are definitely worth a try.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
I've eaten organic fruit and veg for quite a long time for other reasons (fair deal for farmers, more environmentally responsible, tastes better etc)  but on my last cycle I got even more obsessive about it  ;D and started eating organic everything!  I certainly got further  (reached the end of 2ww and got biochemical pg) than my first cycle which ended 7 days into the 2ww.  Don't know how much the diet was a factor but I'm inclined to think what and how I ate did make a difference, and anyway I just felt better generally before tx and now I seem to be recovering better afterwards. 

For those of you having trouble getting hold of organic fruit and veg, have you tried getting a delivery service?  I get a weekly box of veg and a box of fruit plus I order extra fruit and veg, meat and fish.  I use a company called Abel and Cole (www.abel-cole.co.uk) who deliver around London and parts of the South East.  But there are others too, which are UK wide.
www.farmaround.co.uk
organicsdirect.co.uk
organicdelivery.co.uk
or you could try a web search for others.  Some do ready made up boxes depending on what's in season, or some sites let you order from a catalogue like you would on a supermarket delivery site.  Abel and Cole have both boxes and a catalogue for ordering extras and you can tell them what foods you don't like and they'll put something else in instead.  It's not cheap but it's cheaper than buying organic food from a supermarket I think.  And they buy direct from farmers and don't squeeze their margins and the food's in season so you get to try all sorts of things when they appear in your box!

I'll stop evangelising now, yum yum keep on munching girls

Claire x

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello
I have too been eating as much organic as possible and have been taking Dr Marilyn Glenvilles Supplements for about 3 months now. I have been having reflexology for 3 months and have also been going to the gym and yoga classes. I have had one AF in Sept but nothing else so far (I have PCOS) the only symptoms of PCOS are my lack of periods so I am hoping this diet will eventually kick in and help my periods return. I do get disheartened though as it seems like a lot of hard work for nothing at the moment so it's good to hear all of your success stories.
By the way has everyone given up alcohol completely? I don't drink in the week but drink about 5 units on the weekend (I love my wine!  ;D) If it means this diet will work though i will gve up completely
Helen1 xxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Helen, I did give up alcohol, and in the past four months can count on one hand the drinks I've had (celebrations of family birthdays).  I found it really hard and my social life has plummeted because there is only so long that you can sit in the pub and drink mineral water, or if you're being daring, a fruit juice and mineral water!  :p

the worst though is when people who don't know you well ask if you're not drinking because you're pregnanty - if only they knew the heartbreak that question brings!

good luck

rachael md

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a bit of a catch 22.  All the advice states that ideally you should give up alcohol. But you also need to relax when trying to conceive and a glass of wine on a friday night really helps with this!

I eat organic, have plenty of fruit & veg, drink 1.5l water per day, don't smoke, surely I'm allowed a couple of drinks!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hiya,

My and DH did the organic thing from Marylin Glenvilles book. We both gave up alcohol barr a couple of drinks over the Xmas period. I talked him into taking Zinc and I went mad on orange spots, chrystals and the Ozzie bushflower remedy She Oak - if you check further back in the comp therapies section on She Oak, you'll see me raving about it.

We started the diet in the September (03) right after our birthdays and got a positive in the March (04).

I know it's expensive to eat organic but I'm sure if nothing else, it meant our baby had fewer chemicals introduced through me while she was growing.

Good luck everyone

Love Angexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
We eat a predominantly organic diet and have for the last year or so, but this is mainly for general health, not just TTC. We use a local box scheme which is excellent for fruit and veg, and they also deliver things like dairy products, bread etc too. We use our local co-op for the rest so we're as ethical as we can comfortably be.

My main concern with non-organic produce is when it comes to meat. Animals kept for meat that aren't managed organically are usually pumped full of chemicals and hormones to make them grow big, be less susceptible to diseases and to tolerate the horrendous conditions they're usually kept in. One thing I'm really concerned about whilst TTC is my hormone levels so the last thing I want to do is be eating meat that is packed full of them. We do eat non-organic produce reasonably regularly when it comes to fruit and veg and the basics, but I flatly refuse to eat non-organic meat any more. I often just say I'm vegetarian when I'm eating with friends because it's easier.

Many of the big supermarkets now do organic meat, but we get ours from a local supplier. It's quite a bit more expensive, but I think it's worth it, for us, for the farmers, for the animals, and for the planet. There's a pretty good list of UK organic meat suppliers on this site for those who are interested:

http://www.aboutorganics.co.uk/organic_food_drink/links/organic_meat_links.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts