Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just got a  ^BFN^ and so I am trying to improve my diet!

After all the expense of IVF treatment, we can't afford to eat all organic food, so I wondered if anyone could advise what we should buy?

I thought that I read somewhere that organic dairy was important (due to hormones in the milk) and that you should only ever eat organic carrots, as they absorb so much pesticide, but not sure what else I should spend my money on.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

Jules

·
Registered
35 Posts
Organic milk is much better than non-organic, and only a little bit more expensive.

I always try and get organic chicken now since I read about all the rubbish they put into the non organic stuff, however it is very expensive and not always easy to find.  I also try and buy organic beef and other meats.

Fruit and veg is also much better if you can buy organic, due to the chemical residues etc in non-organic.  As you say, carrots (and other root veg) absorb a lot of pesticide.  If you can find a local box scheme it doesn't work out too expensive.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi
sorry about your BFN, good on you for your positive attitude to your next try.

if you do a search for organic box schemes or farmers markets on the internet you may find a cheaper way to get organic fruit and veg than the supermarkets who package it all up and rip you off.
They're not the cheapest, but try these people for a start
www.abel-cole.co.uk
but there's loads of others and probably the more local the cheaper they'll be.

I'd also heard that if you buy one thing organic, milk is the most important one.

I eat alot less meat and so when I do I make it organic meat. I hate to think of all the stuff they inject animals with these days and the rubbish they feed them.  In particular I've noticed lamb is alot nicer organic, and if I can only get one meat I get beef mince as it stretches further in a bolognese or chilli with some kidney or other beans (really good for you) 

I also think organic eggs are probably a good investment.

I would also agree that root veg are the best to prioritise - they taste most noticeably different too - carrots and potatoes especially.  But maybe also since green leafy veg are really good for fertility (cauli, cabbage, broccoli) you could add one or two of them.

You can get organic apples at not too much extra cost and I found that organic grapefruit are a whole different taste experience!  Never used to like them that much but organic ones are fantastic!

Good luck,
Claire x

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I read that buying organic wheat products is good because the grains are so small they tend to absorb more pesticides.  I agree with others who say organic milk is well worth buying, and I also go for the organic eggs.  Try buying veg at a local green grocer because although it may not be organic it also hasn't travelled half way across the world and therefore is less likely to have had preservatives of any sort sprayed on to them - but always wash them well or peel the skin if its not organic. 

The other thing to think about is growing some yourself, you don't need much space (even a balcony will do) and salads, tomatoes and potatoes are very easy to grow.  Since I've been following an organic/healthy diet I've turned into the Good life and have started trying to grow as many veg as possible - that way I know exactly what I'm putting into my mouth!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Jules,

Sorry to hear about your BFN.

I have been advised that the most important food to eat organically when ttc are meat and dairy products as both contain high levels of hormones and antibiotics. Next important is small things like grains, pulses etc as they contain higher levels of pesticides then larger items.

Organic food does cost even with boxed deliveries its at least twice the cost of other food, isn't it.

Hope this helps a little bit!

Emmak

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there

I am too trying to eat organic.  I buy mine from Tescos they have lots of different products.  I have read in the Marilyn Glenville book that grains are really important to buy organic and have also heard that normal lettuce is sprayed with loads of chemicals, so try and buy that organic too.

Good luck with everything.

Samx

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with the previous poster who said milk and dairy products are important to have organic, due to all the hormones given to livestock.  Then again, the galactose in milk is supposed to reduce ovary function, so it may be best to avoid milk altogether if you can.

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Hi girls
theres a chat about this in "the voting room" forum.  Somebody said the most important things to have organic are eggs and chicken.

I try and buy organic where possible but it is expensive.  I always buy organic eggs and salad in the bag the organic spinach and watercress thingy and fruit where possible. 

I did a search on google yesterday incidently and just typed "organic veg delivery" with my area and I've found somewhere local that delivers in a box with ice to keep cool (if at work) and they collect the boxes back to re-use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.