Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I took the plunge yesterday and started to potty-train Sammi (he'd started to take his nappy off by himself whenever it was dirty, so thought he was more than ready :)). I've read several books on dealing with twins and they all say to train one at a time, so I'll cope with Emily once Sammi's ok.

We've had 2 whole days stuck in the house and he's prety much cracked it. Pees and poos in the potty, although he wont let me watch and he wont tell me when he needs to go - just takes himself off when he needs to and brings the potty to me to show me the result. He makes sure that Emily sees it too before taking it off to the bathroom to empty and clean out by himself!  ;D ;D(Highly independent is my son!).

My problem now is what do we do if I need to go out? Whenever he has pants on he wees in them, so I've left him to run around in just a t-shirt and bare bottom while we're indoors. If he wont tell me when he needs to go, how can I get him to a toilet in time? Should I carry a potty around with me???! Bit impractical in the supermarket! :-\

How do you cope with the first few days venturing out? I need all the tips/advice anyone can offer. I can't stay cooped up much longer the weather here is beautiful now - we need to get out and enjoy it!

Nicky xx

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi Nicki

I have twin girls and have just gone 2, I was thinking about starting too, I bought a load of pants today and asked if there wanted to wear them as both love to dress up, but both just said no so I didn't push it, the pottys are out in the room but haven't even gone to pick them up.

Sounds like you are doing well, have you got wooden floors or carpet? I guess that it is messy. Did you just put pants on Sammi to begin with?

I want to start but don't really know how!!  Please give me some of your tips. Hope you get some for going out and about, I remember my friend telling me that she just stayed in for 2 weeks until she knew her little boy had cracked it. That doesn't sound appealing to me 2 weeks in the house!!!

Pebble xx

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I had this dilemma about being out and about during toilet trianing too (but not with twins)

I waited until Lola was able to tell me before she needed to go before she went out nappyless. She always wore pants in the house, but for the first few weeks I put a nappy on her when we went out.

Then when she started communicating better with me, I bit the bullet. It was very nerve-wrecking! I lined her pushchair with a plastic bag and towel in case of accidents, took spare clothes and I also take out a small cushioned toilet seat for her to use. She's now really good at telling me when she needs to go and so far (touch wood) we haven't had any mishaps.

Apparently Mothercare also do collapsable travel potties which are good if your LO will only use a potty, but Lola uses both potty and toilet at home, so for me, the toilet seat was easier.

Good luck...and just think, when DS cracks it, you'll have to do it all over again with DD!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Pebble - your girls look adorable (lovely names too!).
Can't say that I've got any tips at the moment, still taking each day as it comes. Housebound for 4 whole days now, although my childminder told me she took them to the park and Sammi wet himself twice. Didn't bother him apparently, he carried on running around like nothing had happened! I'm not brave enough to take him out nappyless yet though and I've been advised not to put nappies back on at all, just to cope with the mess. Ugh! And we actually have marble floors throughout which is definitely more convenient when it comes to accidents!
On a good note I've been asking Sammi every 5 mins if he needs to go and he's managed to get his pants off in time. He just hates putting them back on again and runs away from me! Also Emily is starting to get curious, points to the potty and says 'Sammi wee wee' but wont sit on it herself as yet.

Sugar - thanks for the advice re travel potties. Did you actually use one? Do they collapse small enough to fit in a biggish handbag? Will check out Mothercare here in Athens (mega expensive by the way, is it the same in Turkey?) Just noticed your ticker - wow you started potty-training early - well done!

Thanks again. Any more tips anyone?

Nicky xx

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
No Nicky, I never did use the travel potty in the end, as Lola was happy to use the soft toilet seat which I hang in bag on her pushchair when we go out. I would imagine that they would collapse enough to fit in a bag though. And yes, Mothercare, ELC etc are all more expensive here, as the Turkish govt hoike loads of tax on top of the import fees  ^bigbad^ I usually get my mom to bring things over when she visits.  ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts