Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

After my first failed IVF cycle and the fact that I had only manage to produce two follicles.  I have decided to do my own research to keep me busy until my follow up appointment.

I have been reading all sorts of medical papers and so far I have found that women with ovarian Endo who have had cysts removed by laps have become poor responders to IVF stimms.  This is because the removal of the cyst has damaged healthy ovarian tissue.

I would like to know who many woman out there who have had cysts removed from their ovaries but have still managed to produce a number of follicles. 

I have had 4 Laps all having cysts removed from both ovaries.  I have another lap booked in July 08 and I am worried that I am only make the situation worse.  Sometimes I feel they think laps are the only option.  I have always been very grateful for the treatment I have received with regard to laps as I would never have had the quality of life that I now but have I damaged my fertility chances???

I would very much welcome any feedback.

Sheldon

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi Sheldon

Can only share my experience - I have had cysts removed from my right ovary through laps and when having tx this is the only ovary which has responded to stimulation. I get cyts on the left but haven't had any removals and this one just doesn't respond, so the treatment on the right seems to have been positive.

However, although DH has no problems with sperm count etc we have had very low success rates in achieving fertilisation and I do wonder if my egg quality could be poor due to ops on the ovary? Will probably never know but I understand your concerns. I also worry that many laps must leave some damage eventually but when we are suffering it can feel like there is no choice. Your con should be able to talk through your concerns and determine whether there may be other options than lap. Have you considered any alternative treatments, changes in diet etc?

Foxylady xx

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi

I have had 1 laparotomy and 2 laparoscopy ops for severe endo.

I have had 4 failed ivf cycles but have always produced at least 10 eggs, however fertilization has been a problem, despite no sperm issues.
We have since embarked on the egg donation route after being told the endo has caused poor quality eggs, whish is causing low fertilization rates.

Hope this helps.

Helen xx

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have had my follow up appointment today and had it confirmed that, yes the ovarian cyst removal has damaged my ovaries.  However they advised the cyst would cause more damage if they hadnt been removed.  I am in a bit of no win situation.  All they have advised that if I was to go for another IVF cycle is that they will up my stimms to see if that will force more follies out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear that Sheldon, I think upping the stimms will help, it definitely made a difference for me.

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Foxylady xx

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hiya,

Slightly different experience here - I had cysts in both ovaries (both approx 8cm) and the ovaries had swollen so much that they were touching. My consultant did not remove them, only drained them so that we would have chance with IVF. Both cysts refilled during my IVF treatment (one was drained during EC) and we got 5 eggs, 2 fertilised and 1 made it  :).

Both cysts are still there and approx 4cm which has stressed my maternity hospital a bit but hopefully this shows that IVF can work when cysts are present.

Might be worth adding that I had 4 months of Gonapeptyl (similar to Zoladex) between the cysts being drained and starting IVF.

Hope this helps.

Karen x

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Just to add my 2 penneth....sadly in my experience I think that endo definately had an effect on the quantity and quality of eggs produced. i 've had 3 full icsi cycles with a poor response. After removal of a large endometrioma my right ovary basically produced nothing and my last cycle (no 4 ) was abandoned as there were so full follies (pretty gutted to say the least after shelling out £2,500 on meds!!). Since that I've had my right tube and most of the ovary removed and am now hoping for a miracle naturally.
All I wanted to say really is to act with caution when they advise upping the meds as the higher doses for me seemed to make the endo much worse and bring back the cysts.
Best of luck and take care
xxxxx. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts