Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not being neurotic but am now just over 5 weeks pg. I have terrible adhesions on my right side which have to be cleared at least once a year as they cause me so much trouble. But... I have started having a really niggly pain around my right ovary (the only good one!) It comes and goes at the moment but can be quite severe. I also have backache in the corresponding place (to the right of my spine). I have no bleeding and did a another tests today which was stronger then the control line on the test. It's quite a sharp pain - similar to a cyst pain but am beginning to panic as had NHS tx and the clinic is closed until Monday when I am going in anyway. Am worried it may be ectopic as I know that my tube is a bit wonky. (but dye went through). Has anyone else experienced this.

a neurotic Clairexxxx

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Claire

Try not to worry about your pains. I am 11 and a half weeks pregnant and only in the last few days have my pains eased slightly. I had severe OHSS so that was partly my problem.
My consultant said that it was normal to have ovary area pain in pregnancy. I know it is difficult and hard to stop worrying.

Love
Fiona :)

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hi claire

from one neurotic to another lol

I too have been having pain in my left ovary (only have one ovary and tube) and also in my lower back.

I was concerned by this as have endo and pcos.

I have been back and forth to drs and its a nasty urine infection/kidney infection which dont wanna leave!!

I think perhaps ur clinic should scan ur ovary just to check out, i had my last scan on thursday and was found to have another cyst but i thought as much anyway.

Lots of love and luck for monday
let us know how it goes
Love Emily and Tiggerxx

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi there Claireabelle

What a time hey. You get pg and then all the worries really start. as you know I am not a nurse but can confirm that in early pregnancy it is possible to get shooting pain in your lower abdomen which should subside when you lay down, also continual twinges and ovarian pressure like feelings. All this combined with lower back pain, vivid dreams and tiredness plus all the known symptoms. One of the classic signs of an ectopic is shoulder pain, most severe in the left one.
And remember the incidence of ectopic pregnancy is less than 1% for non-ivf pregnancies (don't think IUI pregnancies are included as IVF pregnancies!). Since your pregnancy line has been increasing in intensity that would generally not indicate an ectopic.

Now tomorrow you must get a HCG bloodtest. You are going to be a mummy now so you need to have the bloodtest to check everything is ok. Perhaps you could ask for a numbing cream or if a finger test will provide enough blood. Tell them you are ok with the tx injections and maybe they have a suggestion.

Let me know what time you are going and I will send you positive thoughts.

Love
Megan

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Claire

I had loads of AF type pains in early pregnancy - well right throughout actually, but particularly in the first 12 weeks and starting the day after my pg test!  I also had some sharp pains in my ovary area too.  Have since been told that the ovaries can stay enlarged for quite some time after you've had stims, in fact at my 20 week scan the radiographer (who had no idea I'd had any treatment) asked if I'd had some sort of fertility treatment as my ovaries were still enlarged.  So it's likely these pains are just the ovaries settling along with some stretching pains as the uterus starts to let your baby snuggle in even more  :) 

CONGRATULATIONS!

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou everyone for making me feel loads better!

I now know what  most of the the pain was..... I had a mini block in my bowel. My bowel is attached to my stomach muscles (in front of my uterus) because of adhesions. Anyway last night I had the most violent tummy upset that I have ever had. Went to the hospital today, she had  a look and said that it's highly likely that there was some sort of blockage as my tummy upset only lasted for an hour and then I was fine and I am quite tender. She also said that my records show that I will have these problems during pregnancy - greeeeat  :eek:. She also said that it could also be my ligaments stretching in addition to the possible blockage. Feel much better now.

Again - thanks for your kind advice, now have to wait for scan on the 2nd unless the pain comes back again as she said that she couldn't rule out ectopic  :-[

love
Clairexxxx

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Claireabelle,

I had pain in one of my ovaries for quite a long time after i found out I was pregnant. I too was very paranoid about an ectopic- having had one before. I went to see my GP and he said it was probably the corpus luteum- this is what is left on the ovary after the egg has been released. It can get quite big, he reckoned mine was about 5cms. The corpus luteum releases progesterone to maintain the pregnancy up until week 12 when it starts to shrink.

You could also have mild OHSS- hardly suprising that the ovaries feel sore after all they have been through with IVF. My ovary still feels a bit sore now if I press it.

Your HCG test should give you the answers you need re. ectopic.

Good luck and try not to worry too much. Ring your clinic or see your GP to put your mind at rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts