Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1016 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Is anyone out there about to embark on the journey for the first time using their own eggs aged 45 or over?
I am just about to start IVF and would love to hear from anyone aged 45 or over using their OE for IVF or naturally trying for a baby?

:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi , my amh was same as yours at 39 so you are going good. My OE egg cycle got three eggs and none fertilized. With a low amh they don't expect big numbers and I was advised by the consultant that numbers matter in ivf. He told me if you can't produce lots of eggs you have a better chance of becoming pregnant naturally than by ivf. I then had a de cycle and the donor only produced three eggs and that went no where either. Your hospital should be able to give you the stats but from this forum it is de cycles most woman in this age bracket go for. If you go OE Argc is mentioned a lot as being good with the over 40s but I think they are very expensive. Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi HighlandGirl,

I am in the same boat as you and wondered the same thing but never asked the question on FF.  I started my first cycle with OE using Natural IVF at Create and am waiting to hear the verdict on the whether the single embryo is suitable for freezing as we are on the 3-cycle package.  I had 2 eggs at collection but only 1 fertilised. Like you this is completely new to me and I have been reading all sorts of advice on what to do since age is against us but I wanted to at least give it a shot with OE before I considered other options.  Have you decided where to have treatment and what protocol you want?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for reading and commenting :)
It is rare it seems for anyone over 45 / low AMH to comment on this so its great to hear from you!
I will be 46 in 4 weeks and I start Short / Flare Protocol at GCRM on Tuesday. As far as we know neither of us have any issues DH sperm is good and I still have an AMH of 2.8.
I am a bit overweight but no other health issues so heres hoping!
Never had any treatment never been to hospital but I know its my age thats the issue :(

Gemini - what stage are you at now?
Hopeful - Did you get 1 good egg the first time? thats really good :)

x

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi highland girl, I'm at the stage where I don't know what to do next lol. I have a review with consultant tomorrow to discuss last failed de cycle. Tbh I think her fertility wasn't much better than my own so it was a waste of money and emotional energy. I have wrestled with myself over taking dhea as it has produced some great results for over 40s. It will take me a year plus to save again for another cycle but I will try naturally during that time. If I go de again i would use a clinic which guarantees blasts, maybe ivf Alicante, who are linked to gcrm. It's just a lot to go through to come out with nothing at the end of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Highlandgirl, the result of the first cycle is that we do not have a embryo suitable for freezing  :(
My AMH was normal, DH had SA and the results were fine as were my FSH - all normal (for my age I guess!).  Similar to Gemini I am contemplating additional supplements that may help improve results for cycle 2.  I am healthy and have a fairly good diet and am trying to exercise some more - even bought a bike!
Having received the news of the embryo I am feeling rather disappointed with things so far.....and my journey has just begin. :(

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Mini ivf or clomid cycles seem to be a good option for older mums/lower Amh ladies but realistically a lot do move quickly to DE due to cost etc but if you can afford to try oe first why not!! Good luck x

·
Registered
227 Posts
I seen consultant yesterday and most of the conversation was about a new de cycvle option. However, I briefly asked about dhea for OE cycle and she said that there is some evidence that testosterone patches for two weeks can improve response. I am feeling a bit tempted but to go from de to OE cycle is probably unheard of

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi ladies

Hope - we are the same my AMH is 2.8 which I was told is normal and DH SA is also normal. I take pregnacare for conception and DH takes well man conception we also both take vitabiotics omega 3 x 2 daily.
I cut out caffeine except one cup first thing and we are trying to eat healthier.
We have a lovely whippet fur baby so I have to walk everyday but since having my appt at GCRM I have put on 5 pounds!
Gem - I think you need to do what it right for you whether it is OE or DE or back to OE - I have also heard about the DHEA and CO Q10 making a difference - I am hoping we are blessed first time round and haven't even thought about what happens if not we will see but I am ever hopeful ! ;0

I start norethisterone tabs on Tuesday this is the start of my treatment first time don't know what to expect really?
9 days tabs 5 day break for bleed then 14th back to clinic for prostap inj then home to start gonal inj then 1st scan on 21st sept.
I never had a scan before just the AMH test so don't even what is going on in there to start with lol 😬😬

I have put on 5 bloody pounds since my first consultation appt raging at myself and I am not the weight I should be to start with!
I have been listening to podcasts and heard one recently from the top doc at Mount Sinai fertility centre in USA who stated nothing else matters unless you have a healthy egg and healthy sperm not even diet or supplements etc so I guess we all just need to chill a bit and see if we can make these healthy eggs and our partners can make healthy swimmers on the day?

I do feel this is a bit of a lonely journey as we haven't and won't be telling our families and I have only told a few friends who all have children so they don't really understand as none of them had any issues?
X
X

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi ladies,

Forgive me, I am not an expert but my understanding is AMH 2.8 might be normal for the age of 45 but is not good to expect good IVF results.
The other thing (again my understanding) the combination of AMH 2.8 and age 39 would have better expectations of IVF success that the combination of AMH 2.8 and age 45.
Also the success depends how good FSH is.

I wrote to ARGC when I just turned 45 and they replied saying they had no success with ladies over 44.

I was told by the Lister consultant to take DHEA and ubiquinol (Co Q10) for at least 8 weeks to see any improvement.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi ladies

Has anyone thought about PGS tests on their embryos? Or any other chromosomes tests done?
X

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi girls, I'm 44, 45 next month and am in my 2ww following icis with own eggs. I've been told it's unlikely to work, but I'm forever hopeful! X

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had success at 44 with OE at Serum in Athens. There were a couple of people on here cycling around the same time as me who were 44 and 45 who were successful with their own eggs, one had twins (username justineb) and the other had a singleton (username HMB). I did a Clomid cycle and then had a FET on my successful round. Expect it to take a good few tries considering that maybe only one in ten embryos are viable at this age, but I'm sure it could possibly work with patience, enough money and emotional energy to keep on going! Good luck, Flyby x

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's really encouraging flyby, thanks  :) x

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Fly

Thank you so much for your positive response - I'm sure we all understand it's a lower chance but there is still a chance with our own eggs at this age and you are proof of that so thank you😍

Kitty - again another OE lady trying to achieve her dream thank you for sharing your story - sending you PMA vibes from the highlands - keep us posted and keep busy on your 2ww xx

Can I ask you both which protocol you were on and any tips you may have for anyone reading this using their OE?

Xx

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Highland girl. My 1st attempt was in UK, full ivf, LOTS of meds, I only had 2 follicles (I was asked if I wanted to cancel - no way!) I got 2 lovely eggs, and these both fertilised giving us Grade 1 embryos.  :) Transferred on day 2. (I felt this was too early, but they said better in than out!) BFN.
Now my 2nd attempt is in Czech. (A fraction of the price & clinic had been recommended) as I'd been a low responder they recommended mini ivf, so hardly any drugs (idea is to produce quality not quantity), so 75 Menopur every day and clomid for first  5 days, somehow had 10 follicles, but still only produced 1 egg. (But you only need 1) fertilised and a grade 1 embryo transferred on day 3... I'm now waiting...
From reading about people's experiences mini ivf does seem to be getting encouraging results, especially in older ladies
X

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi kitty

Sending you positive vibes as you say you only need one egg! Keep me posted when is your OTD?
X

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Yes I too saw some in 44/45 bracket at serum and a few twins in that too, as far as I know we were all on short flare protocol of menopur, puregon, decapeptyl & clexane plus steroid pill & 5mg folic acid hth 

·
Registered
201 Posts
OTD is 5th  ^pray^ x

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm 44 and about to embark on a 3 cycle natural modified package at Create after a failed short protocol at Guys last year. Have had 3 prior pregnancies which did not reach full term. These comments are giving me some much needed encouragement as have been about to throw the towel in lately. Wishing you all the best of luck too x

1 - 20 of 1016 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.