Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
341 - 360 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Hi thereismore, sorry you have this hurdle, you need to take progesterone for a minimum of 9 days to induce a bleed otherwise your lining won’t shed, good idea as clinic have said to go in and see a gyne, maybe a hysteroscopy will be done to check the your lining. Good luck.
I managed to have my resection of the internal csection scar, I had a 15mm fault in the scar so that surgery apparently went well, so at least that has been taken care of, our countries borders are still shut so no travel still for the foreseeable future  ::)

·
Registered
66 Posts
@Stacey10  glad your surgery went well. Thanks for the info on the progesterone, I started taking that last night.
I managed to speak to my GP today to get a referral to a gynaecologist. Hopefully that won't take too long.
We're in full lock down again until mid Feb.
Hopefully this will all be over soon

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I am 51 years and will be 52 in May. Can anyone recommend clinics in the UK that treat my age for double donation, or embryo donation. Look forward  to hearing any good news on this front! Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
@msusanm I think Care fertility do, I'm not sure. They have clinics across the UK that seem to operate independently

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
They (https://www.fertilityclinicsabroad.com/ivf-clinics-abroad/ivf-over-50-is-ivf-abroad-an-option/) say IVF clinics usually mention the age on their website.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Boggins  which one Harley Street?  I am loooking at Care Manchester and London womens london.  I have a consult in Spain in April but starting to really doubt having to travel and isolate.

xx

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I have been an inconsistent poster here over the years. I changed my handle once and scrubbed some old posts so I didn't have to see what I had posted about old failures. You know how it is?

We are in Australia. We have been working on moving to surrogacy for a few years. We were close to signing up last year with a clinic in the Ukraine when everything changed thanks to COVID. My husband was booked to fly over and check things out and so on, but all had to be cancelled.

Eventually, we were able to start things thanks to the clinic's medical courier being allowed into Australia. In December our first DE ET to a SM took place and on Christmas Morning we received work of our BFN.

After various delays and setbacks we moved towards another ET, but with very low expectations. Last week - a few days ahead of schedule we received word of our BFP! While it is early days and we are being very cautious, we have decided we have to talk about this as if all goes well we have to get used to things! 15 years in the making!

Wow!

Anyway...hello everyone!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Hey dream baby that’s awesome news, I’m also from Australia and have had to put my plans on going to Bratislava on hold also, we have 4 frosties waiting, but as another year has past I’m not sure if we will get to use them now. Anyhow, enjoy your bfp, !

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
dreambaby - awesome news, congrats! A happy end of the journey that sometimes takes longer that should be.
Happy Easter!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello ladies,

Hope you don't mind me joining you. I am currently doing DEIVF at Czech Republic and  I am about to reach the age limit there. I am exploring my options to continue my journey. I am in the US.

Dreambaby, Congratulations on your BFP! Hope your dream comes true. We have been trying for over 13 years.  Did you move your embryos from Ukraine to Australia? Can you please tell me which courier company you used?

Stacey---Hello to see you here :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I have been a lurker and inconsistent poster here over the years.  Infact, I think I’m one of the oldest on this forum, everyone seems to have moved on since I joined back in 2012 (or is it 2011).  I apologize ahead if this turns out to be a long post and if it’s distressing to some people, I just feel this forum has supported me so much over the years and having been reading others’ post (happy ending or otherwise), it seems right that I share my experience and maybe it will give a tiny bit of hope / encouragement to someone.   

In Sep 2020, we had got 5 good graded blastocysts embryos (out of 10 fertilized eggs) using husband’s sperm and 21 year old (proven) egg donor at a clinic in Athens.  We transferred 2 embryos (fresh) but resulted in a BFN and I thought, o well there’s 3 more left.  Two months ago (Feb 2021), I had a 2nd transfer of 2 embryos.  Dear friends, after 13 long, tortuous and hard years of trying to conceive (of which 10 years been involved in IF treatments) and interrupted by health issues 4 years ago, I finally got a BFP on 8th March.  This was my 7th embryo transfer (2nd donor egg), I was so relieved and happy but also with feet firmly on the ground about it (being practicable and self-preservation, I suppose).  No dears, it’s wasn’t my happy ending (but I’ll be back for this!!!).  My happiness was short-lived as although my hcg started well (461) at 14DP5DT, it was increasing slowly and not doubling as it should and by the 7 weeks scan, there was only a 6mm gestational sac, no yolk sac and fetal heartbeat.  Repeat scan at 8 weeks showed only the sac had grown by 3mm and hcg still increasing (now at 4200) was diagnosed as blighted ovum.  I didn’t bleed throughout but been having cramps (since before embryo transfer and afterwards). After stopping the meds, I eventually started bleeding on Easter Sunday (and ended up in A&E) due to horrific pains and had to be given the strongest dose of codeine and eventually passed the gestational sac (sorry, TMI)!  Such a sad day, it was. 

In case, this may help someone, prior to this cycle I did some changes (ERA & EMMA tests - showed I needed 6.5days of progesterone and increased dosage – 2*400mg cyclogest + lubion; clexane, aspirin, 2 months prostap to shrink adenomyosis, endoscratch, assisted hatching and embryo glue, checked thyroid before transfer, high dose Vit D and C, 2-3 brazil nuts daily, feet in socks and on hot water bottle).  These obviously worked as my womb co-operated this time, implanted my 2 embryos and I got pregnant for the first time in a long time.  It seems the issue is with the embryos/ fetus as studies suggests that blighted ovum are generally caused by chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus which stops it from growing… due to egg and sperm issues.  BTW - DH’s sperm is quite good (confirmed via DNA fragmentation, sperm analysis and we always get 95-100% egg fertilization even with my old dodgy eggs back then).  I asked the fertility consultant about the egg donor, he says she’s proven, and recipients have had 2 babies using her eggs. 

Questions!!!
1. Do I transfer my one and only remaining embryo using the same protocol and pray that this will be my take-home baby? That this episode was purely bad luck, non-viable embryos? This is what the consultant suggested.  I’ve only transferred a single embryo once (my 1st ivf/ NHS cycle years ago), so will be strange!
2. Or do I consult Dr Gorgy to check for any underlying immune issues (although I’ve had the uNK biopsy and test with Prof Quenby but this was back in 2015 & 2016 and my uNK cells were normal.  Is it worth the expense for immunes? 
3. Or should I just do a fresh transfer using a different donor and do PGD/PGS on the resulting embryos to know viability before transfer? 

I need to act fast as I will be 50 years come July next year and will not be treated by the Greek clinics and may have to look for clinics outside Europe which I find daunting.  Although, I’ve contacted Dunya in Cyprus, just in case. 

Ladies, as much as this is to solicit for your thoughts on my questions, it’s also an avenue for me to pour out all the built up emotions of last month (my pregnancy via hcg was confirmed exactly 1 month ago today), maybe that’s why I’ve felt strongly to talk about it to someone (me and hubby never tell anyone about our treatment cycles as we don’t want to jinx anything and don’t have to explain the outcomes to anyone).  Although, this wasn’t not my happy ending but I take some comfort in that I got pregnant for the first time in many years and boy I did love the pregnancy symptoms even the bitter metallic yucky taste in mouth and I crave to have these back again, soon. 

Thanks all for reading and I wish everyone good luck, success and much happiness in whatever stage you are and for those of you who here to provide your knowledgeable insight (shout out to Stacey10). 

Watch this space, I’ll be back to share my good news next time, very soon.

Warmest wishes xx

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Hi Davidaa11, yes I’ve “seen” you around the forum over the years,  :) Think we have even done a couple of pm’s waaay back lol, I’ve been on here for what seems like ages as well  ;)
🙂 first off congratulations of finally getting your bfp, that’s a huge hurdle to get over, and sadly as you have just experienced it’s not the only one once you do get that elusive bfp (hugs)
I had four embryos from my clinic in czech, two implanted each time, first resulted in twins and the second resulted in a baby and a blighted ovum. All embryos “looked” perfect on day 5-6 and the last two, once thawed also looked great, so out of 3 one of them was wonky. 10 eggs in total, so out of 10 Eggs in the end 3 were healthy embryos.
Everyone has wonky eggs, no matter what their age, just the amount increases with age, although some ladies, even young ones do have more genetically abnormal eggs than what would be expected, and I have seen this with donor eggs as well on this forum over time.
You do see the odd lady on here doing a cycle where none make it to day 5 or they have the embryos genetically tested and none are “normal” so those donors can no longer be used etc.
So, now getting back to your question, I would transfer the last embryo, just to get a transfer in, and considering you may have found the right protocol, especially with the progesterone, you can always have another fresh cycle underway and have those embryos tested and your ready to go if the transfer doesn’t work, you can go straight into another one.
You do have the option of transferring your embryos to Slovakia to use if you age out in Greece, they do not officially have an age limit, the clinic I’m dealing with doesn’t, some of them treat up until 52, so you do have options, plenty of ladies who cycled in the Czech Republic had to do this when they lowered their age limit there to 49 from previously 49+364, it caught a lot of ladies out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Stacey, thanks for your thoughts, always spot-on!  It does makes sense to have a fresh cycle underway as a just in case, and if I have to, I'll be doing genetic testing on the embryos.  I had naively believed that my old egg issues are over since I used a young, proven donor! 
Good to know about being able to transfer embryos to Slovakia for transfer only if caught out by age in Greece.  Although, I'm leaning more toward Cyprus for a fresh cycle if needed as they treat until 55 years (I pray I wouldn't be needing treatment to that age!), and they have my choice of donors (me and hubby are both Black British but I'm very light skinned). 

Thanks ever so much xx

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Flower72 - From what I have read due to COVID some clinics are considering changing age limits, I do not remember the source where I came across  info. But it reffers to European clinics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Stacey! Thank you for the kind words! Great to hear from another Aussie too! COVID has been just an extra obstacle to get around in this whole infertility stakes, hasn't it? From the looks of your signature, you've had great success. Congratulations!

Neither of us had children from previous relationships and the road to overseas surrogacy has been a long and difficult one. *If* we make it all the way, and our long-awaited baby arrives, I am sure we will forget all the heartache. But until then, it is going to be a cautious time preparing for dropping everything and going to spend 3 or so months in Kyiv (during their winter!)

It's early days yet, but hopefully each week will bring us closer to success.

Thanks Miamiamo! We are still in shock, but are staying cautiously optimistic! It's funny to think just how loooooooonnnnng we have been trying to have a family. I don't think we will believe it until we have Bubs in our arms. I guess it is the same for all IVFers.

DB x

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Flower72!

I hear you regarding age limits. I have experienced various ones through a decade and a half of infertility treatments. After all these years, I have started to feel less 'old' (even though I am REALLY old to be a 1st time mother!) as the IVF clinics put such emphasis on my age, even right at the very beginning. I feel it aged me prematurely for a time. EVERYTHING...I mean EVERYTHING kept coming back to my age. Gee, it was a pain!

To answer your question about international couriers. Australia and the Ukraine are a LONG way from each other. We only have one DE embie left from our Australian IVF attempts. Even if we had wanted to, we could not transport that embryo out of our home state. Now I can't remember if that is because of our intended use being international surrogacy, or because the embryo was from a donor egg, but local legislation would not allow it. We are now looking to donate that embie for adoption.

The genetic material we had couriered internationally was my husband's sperm. That was extremely difficult to arrange and delayed for quite a while due to our home state being 'locked down' for much of 2020 because of Covid. The courier was arranged via our clinic and was sent to Australia to collect on behalf of numerous clients of our Ukrainian clinic.

I guess sending sperm overseas is easier than embryos?

DB x

341 - 360 of 394 Posts