·
Registered
1,116 Posts
betty21 - keep my fingers crossed. Good luck xx

·
Registered
219 Posts
Betty21 good luck!

Many thanks for the advice Stacey10 and Deblovescats! Deb - would all CARE clinics treat above 50 do you know? Or just a particular one - and if so which? Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
good luck Betty!!!!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Beside the seaside - yes, I understand it's a national policy for CARE, up to 53.
Good luck for transfer betty
Millie - I think all clinics offer embryo adoption, but I think it depends on whether there are any to offer. I did double donation with an egg sharer.
Now for an update for me, girls  - I'd requested a prescription for either the pill or HRT from the clinic rather than going to GP as the one who was supportive as now left, and I didn't want to face another who maybe doesn't agree with my plans! Good news, the doctor I saw at CARE has done me a prescription for the pill and they won't me to take it for 3 months and then go to transfer after building up the lining. My plan is to start it in May as I'm going on holiday to Malta in April and thought it was better to avoid risk of potentially a DVT on the pill. That would mean I'd be ready to go for transfer in either July or August, so feeling excited about this now! I feel that I have a plan in place. It would also mean that if it works, my son will be nearly 6 by the time the baby would be born and my daughter 3 1/2 so both more independent! Fingers crossed everyone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dear Ladies,

I hope i am typing in the right place ,I was wondering if I could ask our advice.

Conceived naturally aged 44 but my baby girl was stillborn (edwards syndrome) totally devastated.
Continued trying naturally and had 3 miscarriagies very early.
eventually found parttners sperm extreme high DNA fragmentation and had looked at donor option.

Found donor embryos in uk clinic and had 2 transfers last year, june -negative result
2 transfer oct chemical pregnancy.
had scratch both times and steriods for high nk cells each time.

totally gutted as was confident and relaxed and my gut instinct had been to chose an uk cinic so I had nformation for chilren when turned 18.

My relationship has since failed as he said it was just too hard.can not believe I spent 12 years with someone for them to say this.
Am heart broken and trying to get myself back on track.

How did you ladies chose your clinic abroad? I have been looking at spain and greece,
what helped you decide where/which clinic was for you?
what questions to ask.?

finances are a problem as I am now in debt.
I am so far away from where I thought I would be at this time of my life.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you in advance
Jen  x

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Jen - I'm so sorry for your losses, it's heartbreaking. I can't give any advice about going abroad as I decided to have treatment in the UK. I did go and check out Serum, but had misgivings as I felt pressured into having hysteroscopy, which I declined, and obviously wasn't needed as I have had two healthy pregnancies. I tried LWC  Darlington, had 2 BFNs and wasn't happy with follow up so went to CARE Sheffield. I have been very happy with the clinic and have two gorgeous children, and am in the process of having another cycle in the next few months.
I think when deciding where to go, do as much research as you can, read reviews on the forum and ask any questions of the clinics. I wanted UK due to option of the children finding out about donors if they decide to do so, but I realise this isn't what everyone wants.
As for finances, if you go abroad, you also need to factor in flights and accommodation. I believe treatment in Cyprus and Czech republic is cheaper, but I don't have personal experience of this, just comments I've read on the forum. Spain is apparently no cheaper than the UK. I think a lot of the time, we want to recommend clinics where we've had a good experience or have had success.
I believe some clinics such as Greece and Spain have cut off of age 50. I think Cyprus will treat up to 55 or 56 and Ukraine and Bulgaria have no age limit. UK clinics such as CARE and LWC will treat up to 53. So it also depends on your age as to where you can have treatment.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dear Debloves cats,

thank you so much for replying to my message. i really appreciate all your advice and information about clincs and age.
I feel like I have researched for years since 2014...an embarassingly amount of hrs  and that I have let this whole fertiity thing take over  my life in a way.
my first choce was like you , a UK clinic,
I lost count of the  clincs i rang to ask f there were any available embryos, it is very rare in the uk I found, very frustrating as well.
I was very happy with my treatment and care but used all the available embryos at that clinic in my cycles.

I thought that last year I would get the result I wanted and all would be worth it.

you must be totally thrilled with your success.
Do you mind me asking did you do embryo donation?

or did you chose your egg and sperm donors to get your embryos?
do you think this was the secret to your success.
all the very best for your next cycle.
Jen x

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
irishjen - I am sorry you are going through this. Czech and Poland are cheaper, but it depends on what you need and/or are expecting. Poland does not treat singles, I do not know whether or not Czech clinics treat. Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dear miamiamo,
Thank you so much for responding to my message.
I wll look again at the coutries you have suggested.
I feel like i have spent months researching this whole fertility thing and had hoped that I would have success last year.
i find it hard to make decisions as i am afraid I will make the wrong one!
When i felt confident and relaxed last year and it did not happen for me, it has knocked my confidence.
Thanks again.
x

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Czech only treat until 49 and Poland I think is 50 and I think they changed their law a couple of years ago and don’t treat single ladies, always ways around that though if you have a good male friend who will come onboard to sign clinics papers etc.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Jen - I can totally understand how difficult it is. I can sometimes be a master of prevarication - I like to be prepared and research, and I did this for a while. I looked into options when I was about 42 and my GP referred me to a clinic to discuss options, but the consultant immediately mentioned donor eggs and advised a clinic in Cyprus they had a link with. I needed to reduce my BMI before starting treatment and I delayed making a decision for several years, still hoping, I suppose that I might meet someone to have a family with. I got to 45 without this happening so decided I needed to bite the bullet before it was too late. I decided to go it alone and have not looked back. I realise how fortunate I have been to have my gorgeous children. I went for double donation, as I knew that there weren't many embryos available for adoption in the UK, although obviously there are some. I have read that the USA has a real programme of trying to find families to adopt embryos to prevent them from being destroyed, but I know USA is very expensive for IVF. I was also very lucky that I had embryos strong enough to freeze, and obviously viable, as evidenced by my beautiful daughter.

·
Registered
618 Posts
irishjen welcome. Iam sorry your journey has been a painful one. I hope at the end of this you find success. It’s so hard you’ve been through losses. I went to miracle ivf with dr Firdevs in Cyprus however they might only do fresh cycles with double donation. There is Dogus also in Cyprus which I believe do embryo donation at lower cost than double donation. I had a friend who had twins from Reprofit in Czech rep and had embryo donation but it was a few years ago. For me I chose Cyprus as my dh speaks Turkish and could visit relatives close by. I now have my lovely daughter from my first visit to dr Firdevs. I needed to take meds for thyroid and Blood sugar before treatment. I wish you much luck. X

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry I went missing for a bit.

Welcome Irishjen. I'm sorry you've had a long painful journey too.
I've just had to research clinics again because I got too old for Spain. My 2nd Spanish clinic wasn't that great anyway, I asked if I could go back to the first one, but they said too old. Interestingly Spain does not have an age limit by law, it's the clinics themselves which decide and mostly it's 50. Or maybe 51st birthday if you're already with them. I was told Greece is now 50. This could be 50th birthday.
I was all set to go to Cyprus (TM) but lost confidence in them when the doctors and admin team changed. I had advice from egg donation friends and they were really helpful. For me the choice was one clinic in Spain, several in Cyprus (not TM or Dogus), and Latvia. I would really recommend looking at their website for verified reviews of the clinics and having a chat with them for suggestions which might suit you. Your requirements may be different from mine.

AFM, I've been for a consultation last week! After getting cold feet about the clinic I chose before I wanted to actually visit and meet them and them to meet me. I'm feeling weird because they've already got a donor for me. And want to get going asap! Which is all great, but I guess I'm just really scared. Realistically my journey is coming to an end which is really hard. I'm also struggling with a cold which isn't helping, maybe I picked up something while travelling. And then there's Mother's Day coming up which is always so hard for me...
Anyway I went to a clinic highly recommended by egg donation friends, no one on FF seems to have been there. They all spoke good English and the clinic was very busy. I have to decide on the donor in the next 1 or 2 days, then pay a deposit to reserve her!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Ruby - good to see you back on here. I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. I really hope that you have good luck in the clinic you've selected - where are you heading off to? I think it's a good idea to actually see the clinic you're planning on going to, as despite reading all the reviews, you get your own vibes.
I can totally understand how you feel with Mother's Day fast approaching. Before having my children, I used to feel the same. My sister who doesn't have any children, hates Mother's Day but does make an effort to get me a card and present from the children as they're too young to do it. I usually get her a card and gift as an aunt, but she says it isn't the same.

·
Registered
618 Posts
rubyring I wish you much luck with the clinic you selected. I went to TM before dr and marketing split so would chose the dr again, but understand why you were hesitant. I really hope everything goes well. X

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jen - Just a thought - I appreciate what Debs said about Serum, as I gather they often recommended hysteroscopy and in Debs position, I could understand not wanting to have one. However, if you haven't had a child already and yet you've sadly had losses, maybe a hysteroscopy wouldn't be such a bad idea if they recommend it? From what I've read on here (so just an impression), but also from my own limited enquiries with Serum a couple of years ago (they ran some tests for me), I'd say that one huge advantage they have is they seem to offer a personalised, friendly and caring service. That's a massive plus to my mind, especially if you'll be cycling as a single person.

Now for my problem! I was worried about my age [49.8] and whether I'd be able to continue treatment at my UK clinic, with embryos I already have frozen. I have reassurance that I can carry on even though I'm approaching 50, so that of itself doesn't seem to be an issue.

However, I'm very concerned that my periods are so irregular now - I'm starting to skip them. I had an endo scratch on 30 January, with a view that I'd have a transfer the next cycle. I had my period starting 8 February, then ... I bottled it. I decided to leave it for that menstrual cycle, then have my transfer in the cycle starting with the next period - which I would've expected around 8 March. Except I'm still waiting :'(. So that means its been 7 weeks/49 days since my last period!!! Even if I have a period now, I can't start the FET protocol (progynova) to have a transfer in 14 days surely? Surely the lining would be unhealthy and rubbish?

I never expected the FET to be the hard bit! I would be grateful for any advice on how people might proceed with very irregular periods. Or indeed, if anyone has ever been in the situation of having not had a period for a very long time, how was their lining prepared for transfer?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Beside the seaside - I'd give your clinic a ring and ask them. I haven't had a period since I had my daughter, partly because I've done extended breast feeding and I'm now peri-menopausal. My clinic want me to have several months with a period to refresh the lining so the doctor has prescribed me three months of the pill.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Your best bet is to contact the clinics that your interested directly. The two most popular are dogus and miracle ivf by dr Firdevs.

21 - 40 of 404 Posts