Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

New girl on the block.  Suffer with PCOS and have been trying for a baby for eight years. I am very over weight and have just joined weight watchers to help towards a healthier future. Lost 4 pounds in the first week.

Will be starting IUI soon, and am wondering whether my weight problem will effect my chances of a positive result.

Hopeful

H

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi H,

I too have PCOS and a weight problem.  I was told by my NHS consultant that I had to lose weight before I could have treatment.  I've actually put two stone on since then and been fortunate enough to be able to go private.

My new consultant did mention my weight, but only in an attempt to help me.  They did tests and discovered that I have insulin resistence, which is associated with PCOS, and causes me to gain weight (which would explain why I put two stone on in about 6 months and have had great difficulty losing it).

They prescribed me a drug called Metformin which I have now been taking for about 4 months.  Although I still have had difficulty losing weight, I am in the minority (I think it's because I can't give up my addiction to chocolate!!).

It might be worth asking your doctor or clinic for a glucose tolerance test (mine cost £80 privately - my GP doesn't offer the test) which would tell you if you do have the problem.  If you do, Metformin might be a way of helping you to lose weight that little bit quicker.

Stick with weight watchers though - a couple of years ago I lost two stone  in about 6 months and didn't find the diet hard work at all.  That was in the days before I developed insulin resistence.

And a big pat on the back to you for losing 4lbs!!

Keep up the hard work!

Kittikat
xx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Dear H,
Well done for the wt loss. I do believe in losing wt for PCOS (Sorry Paula and Kittikat don't want to fall out). 9 months ago I changed consultants as I wasn't happy with them. I was 2 stone overweight and had tried clomid 50mg (twice) and 100mg (twice) which didn't work. My LH was 18-23 which is associated with PCOS and increases the chances of producing poor quality eggs that don't progress and miscarry.

Subsequently, by the new consultant I was told to lose 1.5-2 stone before trying clomid again (you can only have it so many times). I was heartbroken as I was so desperate and knew wt loss isn't a fast thing. However, I trusted them and have lost 2 stone in 9 months. I was given low dose clomid again (50mg) and this time I have ovulated! Also, I found out today my LH has come down to 6.5. This could be the wt loss or the metformin I've been on for 5 mths now. Perhaps, the two combined, along with exercise are what's helping.

Basically, in answer to your question, I think you're doing the best thing ever in losing weight as it can help minimise/reduce the symptoms of PCOS and that doesn't just mean the outward signs, but the hormones that are responsible for getting our bodies working right too. Don't give up! It is worth it!

[PS, Paula: I smiled at your comments about it's amazing what money can do. I've also seen NHS and private consultants now, and with the waiting lists for IVF NHS, it does make one feel that certain things are done/advised as stalling time to prevent one more patient going on to the waiting list. Although I'm an advocate of wt loss, I am becoming rather cynical about the whole treatment process. I've realised we have to be strong and take the bull by the horns as noone else will for us eh!]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys or should I say dolls,

Thx for the comments, went for a scan today and PCOS symtons don't look too bad.  Although been told to lose 2 stone before I can start tx. 
Believe this to be a good idea cause I don't want to waste my two NHS IUI attemps because of my excess weight.

Already been for a walk this evening, as they say exercise will keep you fit and slimmer!

The positive comments from you all and knowledge that every pound I lose could make all the difference will keep me going.

Got my fingers crossed for everyone, we all have to take our chances when they come.

Hopefully shrinking

H

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hiya Makehay

Congratulations on your weightloss, i have to say your post inspired me and i went back to weightwatchers tonight.  I hope to see you on the iui girls thread soon  ;D

Emma

1 - 5 of 5 Posts