Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a questions thats been bugging me recently and I wondered if anyone else had any advice, or similar experiences.

In the past year or so, I find that I 'spot' for several days before my period - this is often for the week leading up to it, tho sometimes only 3-4 days before.  It's often very light, but on more than one occassion, it's been heavy enough for me to think it's day one of my cycle, only to discover later that it isn't!  It makes it very hard when my doctor insists I do certain blood tests etc on certain days of my cycle as to be honest, I often don't know when day one is...

And following on from that, tho me and DP have been unable tc for the past 2yrs, I still use my ovulation monitor so I can have a good understanding of my cycle and when I expect to ovulate (so hopefully, when I finally get that call for IVF, I'll be ready for it) - this month, however, I ovulated at day 13 (a day or two earlier than expected) and I'm now on day 32 of my cycle with no period...   I've been spotting for over a week, and I was expecting my period around day 26/27. 

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  My doctor has told me to go for a smear test (ok, fine, but I can only book this X amount of days after the end of my period) and I've had so many internal examinations in the past 2yrs, I'd be amazed if nothing was picked up beforehand (I've had 3 smears throughout my adult years, and each one has been given the all clear).

Can anyone help?  :-\

H xxxx

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Hello again chickchick, I hope youa re finding your way around FF ok. :)

The spotting before AF is amazingly common. Here are a few links to some of the many discussions about them on here:

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=134947.0

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=123458.0

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=121058.0

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82529.0

If you do a search for "spotting before AF" or Bleeding before AF" or "Bleeding before period" (or variations of the same) you will find loads more disscussions about it.

As for your ovulation, you mentioned in a pervious post that you get terrible PMT and that you have had tests to give you the "all clear" so I presume your GP/cons thinks there are no fertility issues with you? ??? Did you mention your spotting to your cons when being tested and, have you had any scans or internal investigations to see if you might have other issues (you can see from the links above that a lot of the ladies who suffer from spotting before AF also have either endometiosis or PCOS so might be something in that)? If you have, are you sure all the tests were done the right day? I know they say day 21 for the progesterone test (to see if you ovulate) but actually this is only right if you have a 28 day cycle. If your cycle is longer or shorter you need to do the test later / earlier to be accurate. The progesterone test should be 7 days before AF arrives (because you ovulate exactly 14 days before AF and the blood test for ovulation is 7 days after you ovulate). If you work out your cycle length and count backwards, you may find this to be the case. Also, you can ovulate without actually relasing the egg - i.e. chemically your body does it all but physically the folicle doens't pop and the egg isn't released. Having said all that, I imagine a throrough consultant will have looked at all of this anyway but, it may well be worth mentioning to him / her that your ovulation tests don't seem to pick up your LH surge. However, if you are going to go down the IVF route anyway due to your male factor issues, it's probably a moot point to worry unduly about any issues with you!

As for the smear test. When did you last have one? If more than 3 years you will need to get it done anyway as most hospitals and clinics insist on a clear smear result before commencing treatment. I think your doctor may be relating to your spotting as perhaps cervical in origin and bleeding from the cervix can be one of the signs of pre-cancerous cells (although you can also bleed from the cervix for lots of other reasons so don't worry!) Probably a good thing to check anyway even if you are fairly confident this is not the case. You are right - all the exams you have had would have spotted some bleeding from the cervix if there was any at the time buit will not have spotted any pre-cancerous signs that are picked up on a smear as these are cells so small they are examined under miscroscope.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

C~x

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been checked for both PCOS and endo (more than once) and have always been given the all clear...  I do get terrible PMS and the worlds most painful breasts (for anything up to two wks before AF) but I guess I'm just used to it  :eek:

I've also had various blood tests that I've had to have done on certain days of my period, but you're right, I don't have 'text book 28 day periods' so there is likely a very high chance of the results not being as reflective of the situation as needed.

DP thinks its stress...  As I'm due for smear anyway so will book one and see what that results in.  Will also have a look at some of the conversation links you forwarded to me C.

Thanks much!

H xx

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Don't underestimate the power of stress. It can do lots of crazy things to your body and there's a lot of evidence that it can affect your ability to conceive (so the old "just realx and it'll happen" chestnut has a rign og truth after all :-[ )
There's also a lot to be said for diet and nutrition too.
You could look at some alternative threapies as I know a lot of ladies on FF have had some success regulating poor cycles and dealing with PMT with them and with controlled diets. Before I was ttc I took Agnus Castus for my PMT but I know it's not recomended during IVF treatment. Have a lok at the Comp Therapies board and see what's what on there. It may help:

Complimentary Therapies ~ CLICK HERE

C~x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts