Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am feeling sad today as I got the call from the clinic, and the nurse said I can not go ahead with the IVF treatment since the PAP smear result came back abnormal, and I should have a Biopsy done!!!!

Oh god, why? This is my fourth IVF tretament to be, but it seems that everything will get complicated...again... ^mercy^!

I also believe that the treatments have made it worse, since I have red the hormonal therapies have a negative effect in the cervical problems.

Plese girls help, anyone had this kind of experience? What treatment did you take? How much was your treatment postponed? Does it affect the outcome?

Love,
Maroon

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Maroon,

How you feeling today chick?   

I wish I knew why life throws such hurdles at some of us  ^hugme^  I don't think I will be able to tell you what you want to hear but I have experienced a positive cervical smear result too and, I had a cone biopsy to remove  precancerous cells.  Firstly, please don't worry about the cone biopsy (If you have to have one) it doen't hurt and it's all over with very quickly.

I know you are worried about the impact this will have on your IVF treatment but the only impact it should have is that your treatment will be delayed by a couple of months.  I know this isn't what you want to hear but, it's better to get it sorted out now and move on to having a happy and healthy pregnancy than having the worry for your health later on.  It's very improtant they carry out the  necessary treatment to prevent the cells spreading and once you have had the treatment, you can forget the whole thing and concentrate on getting pregnant.  The treatment is very, very good and highly effective.  I had some follow up smears after my treatment and they came back all clear.  I'm pleased to say, mine are still clear, (7 years on). I just had the cells removed by the cone biopsy method and that was it.  It was all over within 10 minutes and I was allowed home straight away.  There was no after care and life carried on as normal.

Not sure what you mean by hormonal therapies, have you aleady had some treatment on your cervix?

I asked my consultant if there would be any impact of having a cone biopsy and IVF and they assured me that it wouldn't stop me becoming pregnant at all and it wouldn't effect my treatment.  The only thing I was told was, that if I were to get pregnant I may need a small suture placed in my cervix to stop it opening up too early.  I have read about a lot of women who have had cone biopsies and other minor surgery on their cervix, many have gone on to have IVF with no problems at all.   

Hope you managed to find a bit of comfort from my message.  It is so disappointing, I know but your health is the most important thing and your clinic only have your best interests at heart. 

Try to keep you chin up and don't see it as a set back, things happen for a reason and your reason was your health and wellbeing.  It will be ok and you'll be back on the rollercoaster before you know it.

Good luck

Birchie xx

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi Maroon

Sorry to hear your news.  I too, like Birchie had a cone biopsy a year ago and fell pregnant soon after.  The actual cone biopsy is painless and quick and takes about 4 weeks to heal.

It was only after I found out I was pregnant and did some research that I realised that a possible side effect of the treatment is a loose cervix.  I asked my hospital to monitor regularly and they were fantastic - and we discussed having a cervical stitch - but because my cervix was long we decided against it - and as you can see I've had no problems (please let it continue this way).

It is worth having the cone biopsy done - and delaying your treatment (only by a couple of months) and at least you know you have done the right thing.  Just make sure you mention it to your midwife/obstetrician when you do fall pregnant and ask for internal scans to measure your cervix.

You'll be fine

Axx

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Birchie and Ameliacooper,

thank you for the info and the support! You are great, and this FF is wonderful having wonderful persons like you who take their time to read and respond to others problems by making life easier...

Birchie: By 'Hormonal therapies' I mean the Fertility drugs I have taken for 3 cycles tilll now.

I just hope my result will be adequate for the 'cone biopsy' and that my clinic provides such a tretament!

Thanks again!

xxxMaroon

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Maroon, ditto what the others have said. I wasn't aware about the possible stitch required, that's interesting as I had a cone biopsy several years ago, and no-ones mentioned any contraindictaions.... will bear it in mind!

However, back to your pap result - you should ask to be referred ASAP for the colposcopy, just in case your local clinic has a wait, that way they can advise you at the clinic whether everthing is OK or that you may need treatment. An abnormal smear could be the result of all the hormone treatment you've had, or it could just be exactly that... an abnormal smear.... and the next 100 you have could be fine!! When you go to the colp. clinic they'll have a look through the microscope and be able to say whether they think treatment is necessary or not, but you can tell them about your IVF etc.

After having laser treatment myself about 15 yrs ago, I had an abnormal smear again about 7 yrs ago... my GP was great and referred me immediately rather than re-test in 6 months, the colp clinic said everything looked OK and then rechecked every 6 months a further two times.

I'm in between IUI's and IVF at the moment..... and have just had another abnormal smear result! Ho hum!! I asked my GP to refer me again and he has, he was  just going to allow the 6 month recall smear test but I asked for the referral because of my treatments... I'm just waiting for an appointment now.

Good Luck, and best wishes,

Anne

·
Registered
587 Posts
Oh, sorry Maroon (I've had my daft head on all weekend).  Oh course I understand now.  There is every chance they will do the biopsy, my result came back as CIN 1 which is only mild abnormal cells, but they still did it for me.

They will know what to do for the best, I'm sure!

Good luck with everything chick  :-* ^hugme^

Anne,.. what a pain you have another abnormal result, sorry to hear that.  Hope you get your appointment through soon.  Re the stitch: I was told if I were to become pregnant I would need close monitoring and both my gp and consultant said that they would advise me to have a stitch just before the second trimester.  In some cases the biopsy can weaken the cervix and when the baby starts to grow and becomes heavier it (can) induce labour. I say (can) because it's not necessary for everybody and I have heard of a number of women who didn't need one (such as Amelia) however, I was told I would probably need one.

Anyway, best wishes to all

Birchie 

Birchie xx

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi girls,

I have a biopsy scheduled for the 22nd this month.

My dear hubby called me today to tell me he has booked for us a 10 day holiday in Turkey beggining after one week. That was a pleasant suprise for me since we realy need it after all we have been through! This way it will be easier to await the time for the biopsy.

Anne: I understand how you feel... ^hugme^I wish you quick recovery and back to treatment!

Birchie: thanks again! ^hugme^

xxxMaroon

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ah that's lovely Maroon!  There you go you see, from the depths of despair a couple of days ago, to having some good news and a lovely holiday to look forward too.  That was really quick for your biopsy, well done!  Remember, it's nothing to worry about and you won't feel a thing.

Enjoy your holiday

Birchie xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts