Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We have been ttc for 18 months.Have just had some results back and I have found out that I have PCO (not PCOS!) and that I may not be ovulating regularly. Yet I have had periods for 16 years and have only ever missed one! Is this normal?
If all is well with dh I will start clomid early next year...
Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks

Rach

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
I have no idea of the difference between PCO & PCOS??
If anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear  :)

Was just going to say, maybe you could try posting this question on the clomid boards, as someone may have the same as you.

Good luck
Siobhan x

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi siobhan

PCO is just straightforward (!) cysts round the ovaries with a raised LH level on day 1 apparantly. PCOS is the full blown polycystic ovary syndrome where a lot of your hormones are all over the show, and you are more prone to large cysts, hair growth etc. I think having PCO makes you more likely to develop PCOS later but correct me someone if I am lying!
will try clomid board... thanks
Rach x

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
I too have PCO, but not PCOS. Nobody ever accurately explained to me what the difference was until I came here. Rach is, as I understand it, correct. You can have polycystic ovaries, without actually having PCOS. I don't have any other symptoms of PCOS, other than I tend to be hirsuite (but then so is my mum and was my nan and they both had absolutely no problems with conception or gynacology at all), and I struggle to lose weight (don't we all!) 

I've never ever had irregular cycles or missing periods. so it was a bit of a shock to me to find out that my day 21 progesterone level indicates I do not ovulate. However I'm wondering about that now, as I tend to have a 30/31 day cycle (day 21 too early to test prog levels?) The odd thing was, when I had my scan that detected the PCO, it was a few days before I would have ovulated and I had a nice fat healthy follicle developing there, so who knows!
I had Clomid for six months in 2002, and my progesterone levels indicated I was ovulating on it, however other factors meant that there wasn't much chance that this alone would work for me.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks caz....it does help cos it shows me that I'm not talking nonsense! My average cycle length is 30 days and has been for yonks.
Also when I had my first scan, also when diagnosed with PCo I also had a big fat follicle.........but still no babies!!
Am awaiting to start clomid in the new year so hopefully that may help...

many thanks caz....and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!!  ^festival^

luv Rach x

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Hi
I too have regular periods and no signs of PCOS but doc prescribed me metformin first for 3 months and then clomid.  periods b4 were approx 35 days so therefore prog tests on 21 were not accurate but since i have been in clomid have done prog tests on between days 21 and 23 and now have a reg 30 day cycle.  Still not pg though.  am doing IUI.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts