Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently my ovaries are polycystic in appearance (pearl necklace effect) but my blood levels are fine. However it is suspected my probs could be endo. Bit confused as had 3 internal scans showing pco and latest external one showed no evidence of pco. Are external scans accurate?
thanks,
J x

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi J
Initially I was dx with PCO via laparoscopy, I didn't realise what it was until I was older (I was 16 at dx).
When I was finally dx with PCOS it was through an internal scan, the external scans I had had previously hadn't shown it up, whether or not it was there, I don't know though!
I would say the internal scans have a better dx rate, external ultrasounds are good if you have bigger cysts that are visable, but with pcos, you get lots of little ones, the internal scanner is closer to them and probably better at dx them.
Chick

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey there, pco is a funny thing..if you change your diet it can decrease the problem (see threads on here about gi diet) it also reduces risk of it developing into pcos.Your dr may prescribe you metformin to help with the pco, internal scans are definately more accurate..although they dont always show everything..my pco didnt show until my 3rd cycle of iui, my blood levels are also ok but the pcos has really put a spanner in the tx works..
we are about to have icsi as the iui didnt work..i had loads of little eggs but none big enough tom succeed. The icsi means i may get ohss becuase of the pcos..many people get endo and pcos it's a hormone thing that can cause it..i also had endo but it wasnt discovered until i had a laparoscopy.It would be best to ask your gp or consultant and ask them why the pco has disappeared.sometimes at different times of the cycle its more prominent.
Hope this has helped in some way
Ju

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies - I guess it's not straight forward. I have an appointment with the fertility clinic 31st Jan and a lap in March. Hopefully will get some answers then,
J ???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts