Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Hope someone can help, quite new to treatment etc.

We've been ttc for over 3 yrs.  I've recently started IUI on the NHS and had baseline scans for the first time.  The first scan on day 3 showed a polycystic left ovary, but I was told that often women have this appearance on ultrasound, don't worry etc.  I did injs/IUI that cycle and had a good response, but although I got follies on the left, they were all smaller than the right side. Next baseline scan, different doctor...left ovary still polycystic.  That doctor has done androgen blood tests on me, which aren't back yet.

If those tests come back abnormal, should I be having some kind of insulin resistance test?  What is it called?

If they don't come back abnormal, should I get tested for insulin resistance anyway?   

I've done a lot of reading about this lately, although I don't have the classic PCOS signs, other than the ovary, I have one or two other signs that keep coming up as minor symptoms or associations with PCOS, that is, high prolactin levels (mine are now controlled with drugs) and this is a weird one - Skin tags!  I have a ton of these and they seem to be mentioned a lot in articles about PCOS, mainly associated with the insulin side of it.

Thanks for any help!
Sam

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi sam

I am a pcos sufferer and am also insulin resistant.
What you need to ask for is a glucose intorelance test which is usually done at through your gp at your local hospital, to determine if you are insulin resistant.

Skin tags are also a sign of pcos. have you had any other tests such as oestrogen and testosterone levels checked?

Pcos sufferers have many different symptoms and some have lots of the and others only have a few of them

Maybe have a chat with your gp/clinic and see what they have to say?

Let us know how you get on and feel free to im me if you have any other questions

love
suzie aka olive xx

G

·
Hi Sam

Welcome to the pcos page.  :)

I have pcos and my initial blood test was done by my GP and it was a general hormone test (testosterone, LH levels).  When I went to see my gynecologist however he did some more detailed tests he went for the lh, fsh progesterone and a whole heap of other too boot.  I looked like a pin cushion by the time he had finished  ^roflmao^.

As for the skin tags I also have quiet a few of those and I was told my my gynecologist that they were a symptom of the pcos.  I also have a many other symptoms too, if you would like to know anymore please let me know.  I am no guru on the condition but I do seem to have almost every symptom going  ^furios^ ^censored^.

I wish you all the best with your TX

From Charlotte   ^fairydust^ ^rainbow^

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi all

Interesting one!

I have never had any blood tests to confirm PCOS but have polycystic ovaries diagnosed on scan by gynaecologist, also have wildy irregular AF.  Have some excess hair but not too much to cope with.

And I do have loads of skin tags!!!

Regarding the insulin I had a glucose tolerence test when PG which was normal but I do get the classic shaky, low blood sugar, throwing things at the DH etc type symptoms if I don;t eat properly  ;D

I did not have any problems with responding to stims except I over stimulated which is the one danger with PCOS, you are at higher risk of OHSS when on an IVF cycle.

But, we lived to tell the tale!!!

Loads of luck with your journeys all of you, hope your dreams come true very soon!

Vicky xx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks girls - that's interesting we all have the skin tags!!

Charlotte (and all ) - I'd be interested to hear about your other symptoms just in case I recognise anything!  I didn't even know skin tags were associated with pcos til last week. 

I don't really have the classic signs, such as excess hair & weight.  I don't even have irregular cycles, although I do get a lot of spotting when not on fertility drugs so I wonder if I ovulate properly sometimes.

Suzie - Thanks for letting me know what to ask for. I think they are testing my testosterone level along with the other androgens.  I don't usually get tested for oestrogen, except this cycle I did, cause I had a big cyst on one ovary at day 3 and it turned out it was elevated so I have to sit out this cycle.

Vicky, congrats to you, glad it worked out for you!

xSam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi girls

I got my androgen tests back - they were normal.  I'm not sure of the numbers yet. 

Do you think I should still get checked for insulin resistance?  I am tempted, but I only have the cysts and the skin tags as 'symptoms'.  I bet the GP thinks I'm mad! 

Cheers
Sam

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Sam
If you are at all worried then, do go and get tested, many woment with pcos suffer needlessly because thier GP doesn't recognise their symtoms and doesn't know how to treat or diagnose them.
At the end of the day, if things are normal, great you know and are reassured, but if not then you are sooner on that road to treating them than you might have otherwise been.
Chick

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi girls,

Sorry to be ignorant but can you tell me what skin tags are ?

I was diagnosed with mild PCOS when we started consultation for ICSI due to male factor. I have no symptons & in fact I was utterly shocked to see my scan pictures.

Also - can I just ask - is it likely that I have always had PCOS or does this appear out of nowhere ?

Vicky - congrats to you - what a beautiful liitle boy

xx

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Buddug!
You can ahve polycyctic ovary syndrome, without having the symptoms, this is call PCO, purely because it doesn't give you any of the tell tale signs of having it, so you might well have had it for a while, or you might not!
Skin tags are little 'balls' of skin  which hand of your skin, it's hard to describe really, maybe NHS Direct online might have somes pics, or I am sure putting a search into Google will bring you up some pics!
Chick xx

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks chick & hi !!

Hope you are well. Good luck for that knee op..PCH must know you inside out by now !

Take care

B
xx

·
Registered
604 Posts
Alas they do but being going at the Royal Glamorgan in Llantrisant, where they know me even better because that's where I had my treatment before moving over to Prince Charles!
Thanks for the good luck wishes though, hope to see you again soon.

Chick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chick - thanks - I will try and see the GP before Christmas.  I haven't mentioned these tags to the gyn, probably cause I only just read they were associated with PCO!

Buddug - did you have any blood tests done, or did they put you on metformin purely from the appearance on the scan?  When my tests came back normal, I was told I wouldn't have to use metformin, so I'm interested if my docs are doing things differently.  Skin tags are gard to describe, they are just little growths that stand out a bit off your skin.  Sometimes a darker colour than your skin.  Mine are between my boobs (!) and armpits.  Sounds gross, but they didn't bother me too much til I heard about the PCO.

Lisa

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Sam,

I was sent for glucose intolerance testing when the scan revealed PCO. Was a nasty little blood test as I had to fast & then have 4 sets of blood tests at different stages. One when I arrived, one just after a glucose drink & then 2 about half an hour later. All to assess my body's way of processing glucose. Anyway it revealed that I have insulin resistance. This is what led to them prescribing metformin for me.

Hope this helps

B
x

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Buddug, I Im'd you back.  Wasn't sure if you would read this one!

Lisa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts