Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I found out yesterday that I have PCOS (after 2 failed IUIs).  It was relief in a way as I thought I just had dodgy hormones, but this explains a lot of symptoms i had as a teenager.

Anyway, when I first started trying to conceive I was told to put weight on and get my BMI up, as I was smallish - I always have been.  So, I put 8 pounds on and upped my BMI.  But, now that I've been diagnosed with PCOS I'm wondering whether I should lose this weight as I hear that carbs etc... are not good for those with PCOS, and these are what I've been eating to get my weight up. 

Can you give me any insight at all on what i should do?  I've heard about the drug metaformin too, but don't know if this will be suitable for me as I am not overweight.

Thanks very much.

Simone x

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Im not a nurse but i had to reply as you sound in the same situation i was in about a year and a half ago!
Before i was diagnosed with pcos i was told to put on weight as i was quite thin, i put some on but still had no periods then after more tests i was diagnosed with pcos-i wasnt overweight but was still perscribed metformin as it helps with the other side effects. i dont suffer with excess hair or acne but think it was pescribed as it helps regulate periods.
Unfortunatly i have now put on more weight then i wanted too and i think that as we have pcos we tend too store more fat etc and i think carbs dont particularly help us and we crave then more so then others (i think thats correct!  ???)
So my advice to you is not too loose this weight, stick to a good weight for you whilst eating a varied diet and watching your weight.
Do you suffer with any other side effects from pcos? maybe you have the cysts but not the symptons? I hope this is of some help to you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Simone.you may have pco not pcos...I know it sounds confusing but drs put us all under the same umbrella.(u can have pco and be any weight) I have pco which means i get extra eggs clustering around the ovaries..This is pco..

Pcos is when you get eggs clustering around the ovaries and have other side effects such as weight gain, hairyness and acne.

It is possible to have pco and still have fertility problems and drs usually do a laparoscopy and diathermy (where they pop the eggs off of the ovaries so new fresh eggs can get through) Metaformin is used to stop the eggs grouping back around the ovaries more than anything else..some people loose weight but others dont. I have pco and have been prescribed metaformin because i had my diathermy and my dr doesnt want lots of egs to grow back around my ovaries before we do our ivf (too many eggs caused ohss which is painful). Hope this has explained a few things. It may be woth checking out the  pcos thread or pm me if you would ike a chat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Summer and Sicknote

Thanks for your replies, which have certainly helped.  Apparently I have PCOS as, although I am not overweight I have other symptoms - slightly furry on the face(!), absent periods etc...  I am trying to make changes to my diet - cutting down on refined carbs and sugars, and taking a little more exercise - but I would like to discuss the medical options taht I have as well.  My consultant explained about ovarian drilling, which I can perhaps try after the next iui if it doesn't work.  I suppose it's then that they might prescribe metaformin.  At the moment I am on clomid which is working in the sense that I am ovulating regulalry, so we will see what happens.

Thanks loads.

Simone x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts