Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,

I have been on metformin a while now and though my AF is improving slowly it is not at a 28 day cycle yet, I have been using ovulation detection tests to see when I am most fertile but have just heard that people with PCOS cant use these tests as they dont give an accurate reading, as any one else heard this.
I was also wondering if the metformin tablets affected the ovulation tests reading to, sorry to be a pest as I feel like all I do is ask questions.

many thanks Nicola xxx :)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Hi again,

The reason that ladies with PCOS can't usally use Ovulation Predictor kits is because they work on the basis of detecting a surge in a hormone called 'LH'. In most normal women (sorry, we are normal but you know what I mean!), an LH surge is detected shortly before ovulation. At this time, the ovulation predictor will pick it up and give you a positive result of whatever.

Thing is, many women with PCOS have a permanently raised LH level, and so the OPK might always give a (false) positive result. This is why we are normally advised not to bother with them.

Hope this makes sense.

Kate x

PS - I haven't heard of Metformin affecting their use!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Kate,

You have been really helpful again, many thanks, hope to speak to you soon,

Nicola xxx :)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
No worries Nicola, I think we all need as much advice and help as we can get - IF is one confusing business, and I'm only just starting to get my head around it!

I wish you the best of luck with your IVF,

Chat soon
Love Kate xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts