Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I didn't want to ask this question but my DP pushed me to ask after all we are all here to help each other, well here it is.

When I was told I had PCOS I was also told that it effects most women that are over weight? Then looking at myself I am only 8.1/2 to 9 stone and thin with a small build, so why every time my doctor and a GP, talk about it do they keep saying it effects you if your over weight, I mean they are not talking to me over the telephone it is face to face, I know your thinking well why dont you ask them, the thing is they are not very voluntary with information, my GP is the kind of Doctor that likes his patients to be in and out of the surgery as quick as possible and my consultant well the less said the better.

I do often suffer with anemia and my Iron levels drop a lot sometimes, but I have always been like that,

I just get really confused with it all, never really been sat down by doctor or consultant and talked about anything like this or any other aspects that dont help, and I do get frustrated as you all do seem to know a lot more than me and are able to talk about it very openly, I do talk to my partner and parents but not being doctors or knowing anything about PCOS, they cannot answer any of my questions.

I do go to web pages and read a lot but its not as good as talking to somebody who is virtually there if you know what I mean like yourselves, I know I must sound mad, well no really I bet I dont to you, lol, some days I think I could ask this and this but never do, then I get so mad with myself, Its like if I tell my GP i am having like ovary pain, or pains in my side me thinking it is because of the PCOS, he will over the telephone tell me its a kidney infection, now I never said I'm going to the toilet a lot or its painfull to pass water, and off he totters prescription for antibiotics, then he gets mad because after the antibiotics I still tell him the pain is there, and that I dont think it was a kidney infection.

Why can't they listen to their patients once and listen to how they REALLY feel, look I am rambling on again, see once I do get the courage to ask I never stop. Sorry for going on, really I am, but I am so releaved this site is here for me to come and feel secure and ask and listen and learn more, than I would from my own GP.

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^to everyone.

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi

pcos does affect weight in some women but not all, have they told you you have pco or pcos ?
weight problems are only one symptom along with many others
Im sorry your gp and cons dont seem to be much help! i myself know how frustrating it can be !!
Sometimes it just helps to have a good old ^tantrum^ doesnt it!!
The pcos ladies are a great bunch and very knowledgeable so feel free to ask anything.
Im intrigued as to why you have been told you cant have injectables?? was it because of the pcos? as i have had them and i have pcos, sorry tell me to not be so nosy if you want to , i wont get offended

Really hope you get some answers and if i can help feel free to ask

love
suzie aka olive xx

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Suzie, It started with my first consultant he was fantastic, talked me through everything, explained everything available and told me after he performed a laporoscopy that he would be refering me, I was so upset, and was right to be because he refered me to a female consultant, no offence to ther female cons, but she was evil, she was not interested in my opinion, or anything kept repeating medicines like clomid and metformin that I had already had and failed, she said I know you have had them but not while you were under my care, (what care).

Anyway we had lap.dye and follicle tracking nothing worked she told me I had two options left injectables or drilling, I opted for injectables and then she said well if you have that the operation will be no good to you after so we had the drilling thinking injectables would be a good move second,

After the operation which she said went well, we went home and in our next appointment she told us the injections would be a no go as there would not be a dose low enough to prevent me from gettin OHSS, none of this we could track you follicle wise or anything just a no, I was so frustrated and lost for a better word, thanks for replying.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
ello.. i have been told my dr that people cxan have pco and develop pcos is they become overweight, but slim people can have pco/pcos too.. it is all linked to hormones unfortunately.. Loosing weight if you are overweight can often decrease the severity of pcos and some people loose it completely. I have also been told this is the case with some people who have a pregnancy as the body has such a boost of hormones that it can change the balance.
I had acne when i was younger and wasn't particularly overweight.. and as i'm sure you know not everyone who has acne are overweight and have a bad diet. It's all just hormonal.. thats how the dr's explained it to me .some people s bodies just have a different hormonal make up to others. My dr says thats why some people get on with certain contraceptive pills and others dont.

Vic as i think i said before i would get a second opinion as to why you cant have injectables.
Ju x

The question i really want answered is my dr put me on metformin.. but has told me he doesnt think i need to loose any weight. my other clinic have told me not to take the metformin during tx because it can affect the fet's etc.. so why am i on it??? What does it actually do for me except supress the blood sugar levels?

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi

i am slightly confused as to why your cons has told you you cant have injectables? maybe some of the other girls can answer that one for you as i have never heard of someone have drilling and then not being allowed injectables
Sorry your cons wasnt much help , i know that feeling!! Is there any chance you can see someone else? Or even go to a different gp at your surgery?
Hope the other pcos girls can shed some light for you

love
suzie aka olive xx

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hiya

I am also confused by the statement as well about not being allowed injectables due to the risk of OHSS.  This is for two reasons

1.  A friend of mine has PCOS and does not respond to clomid etc she did however, concieve after a course of injectables.

2.  The standard IVF process means that you have to have injectables.

They should as a high risk monitor you.

As for the other items PCOS has a number of symptoms and weight is only one of them.  My understanding is that it is a vicious circle in the instance of PCOS.  The heavier you are the worse the condition tends to be which then makes it harder to lose weight because of the tendency to have insulin resistance etc.  

It is also possible to have polycystic ovaries and not have PCOS.

If I can offer a coupl eof bits of advice on top :

1. I don't believe GPs should prescribe Anti Bs without due cause and certainly not on the basis of a telephone conversation.

2.  Despite many Doctors attitudes they are actually public servants, you are their customer, your taxes are paying for their time.  Therefore you should be happy with the service you are getting.  I say it like this because many people feel intimidated by them and should not be.  A good technique is to take a notepad with a list of questions and queries on it to ask then you read off it to prompt yourself.  Helps prevent being bamboozled.

I can be petty because if a Dr wants to be called Dr then they can call me by my formal name too !

Good luck

Clare

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi to all and thankyou for your great and strong replies, THink I will go and hide under a rock now lol lol joking!!!

Okay I have made my mind up I will get that second opinion, as soon as they give me the next appointment,

I will definately queiry the injectables and if able will demand they at least try

I will take questions and stand my ground,

It is PCOS that I was diagnosed with and as you say you have to have it with IVF and I was fine with it, so it proves they just could not be bothered.

I have never been a big girl, if anything started off under weight but got myself to a steady 8 to 9 stone, never been able to get any heavier,

The cons that told me I could not have the injectables was the type of person that came across as if she wasn't bothered either way, so I think my GP  should be told a thing or two and get things moving for me.

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi vick

I have just seen this thread and agree you should get a second opinion. I had my tx at Barts. I was refferred there because i have severe PCOS and they told me IVF was my only option. I have also had the Clomid and diathermy drilling and metformin.
I wasnt on a particularly low dose while stimming but they are very goos there and keep a good eye on you with regular scans. I was on the verge of OHSS with my first cycle but not at all with my 2nd. My 3rd cycle i got OHSS after ET but it was mild.
Really wish you lots of luck your doctors dont sound too good at all.

Love Kimx  x x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.