Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my doctor told me that if you loss weight that this can sometimes correct the problems associated with pcos.
I am on clomid but have also just joined weight watchers.
Is what the doctor told me true or is it only in certain cases. i am happy to try this as he gave me the option of losing weight and coming back to see him in a year or to go on the clomid. i am happy to hear if its worked for anyone after they have lost weight.

all the best to you all out there.
Karen

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hi karen,

did your dr say about trying metformin??i have pcos and am over weight and have started to loose weight with this.only been on it since 26th feb but lost half stone so far- this may be an option,i know alot of people say they loose weight with a lo carb diet with pcos,

hope this is of some help

Luv

Mez
x

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Karen, :)

I have just started taking metformin,but was also told by the consultant to try and lose weight. I think it just depends what your weight is! I am very overweight at 13 1/2 stone and 5ft 2ins. I am going to try weight watchers as well! Fingers crossed for all of us!!!!!

Take Care
Love Emmaxxxx

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Mez! :)

Glad you found the site ok!! ^banana^

You'll be addicted to this one in no time!!!

Take Care, speak to you soon
Lots of love
Emmaxxxx

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,
I too have PCOS and have been told that weight loss may help symptons and fertility.
I lost a stone last year with Slimming World but then just stopped losing, maybe too much carbs ??
In one of the Verity newsletters they suggest a low carb diet so i'm doing just that, starting this week.
It also helps to eat any carbs before 6pm at night.
Good luck.
Becky x

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Hiya I too have been told that loosing weight can help improve the effects of PCOS. I am on Metformin, but as only prescribed by my GP I'm on a low dose which is having no effect at the moment.

I am trying the Atkins diet, which has also been recommeded for women with PCOS. I started last Tuesday and by Saturday had lost 5 lbs, unfortunately I caved in over the weekend an weighed in this morning only 3lb lighter, still good I know, but I was hoping for more.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Emma x :-*x

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hi ya

i got weighed again today and have lost another 3lbs in the past 2 weeks-am on NO diet at all-be honest im eatin loads of junk but hey that 8lbs now lost in 6weeks,

hi emma-im always on here hun-it is a great site-take care

luv Mez
x

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi girls ^wave^

Hope you don't mind me putting my two pennies worth in. I also have PCOS and yes ALSO was told to loose weight, easier said than done hey girls? I went on the Atkins diet last year and in 9 months I lost 2 stones felt FAB! However, I then moved house and ended up eating junk/convienent foods, weight back on just like that!!! Now settled over here in Germany, have a job and going to the gym (lost half a stone in a month) started the low carb diet again. But then had tests with GP and been told my cholestrol level is bordenline (5.96) and to cut down on red meat intake and DAIRY products. ^doh^ I think maybe I should stop eating....... I asked about metformin and GP won't prescribe it to me. I am at my wits end, hate dieting, hate weight watching. Friends and family say I don't need to loose weight (they love me just the way I am) however for IVF tx my BMI has to be under 30, I am 32!! I'm 5ft 2 and 12 1/2 stone, and feeling so deflated I could eat a whole cake. ^pig^ ^pig^ ^pig^

Main point I posted, just to warn about the Atkins diet and cholestrol levels.

Take care girls and best of luck to us all loosing weight.
^excercise1^ ^excercise1^ ^excercise1^ ^excercise1^ ^excercise3^ ^excercise3^ ^excercise3^ ^excercise3^ ^excercise3^ ^excercise2^ ^excercise2^ ^excercise2^ ^excercise2^

LOL Ronnie

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Ronnie,

Thought I would just reply to say I am reading a book at the moment (diet obviously-I also have PCOS) it si called the south beach diet, although I have not started the diet yet I am reading through and it makes very intresting reading, the next bit is to put it in to practice, for 2 weeks you have to cut out certain carbohydrates (mainly refined and starchy) and slowly re-introduce them, it helps with your blood sugar which with pcos and the high insulin is a good way to go.
Worth a try, and now can say I have had my 2 pence worth lol
Good luck hunny.
MEl (sweetie) xx

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you Sweetie have you tried it yet? If so please can you tell me how it goes. I'm thinking of going on the Atkins Diet again for three months, as I am going home to see my parents and want to look good but will try anything new..

Thanks

LOL Ronnie ^cuddleup^

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Ronnie,

Yes I have tried and in 4 days have lost 6lbs, only problem is that I have struggle yesterday evening and today as the thought and smell of having another egg for breakfast or salad for lunch made me quite nauseous which is not good, decided to have few days break and try again it is a good diet, it is just a struggle for me to have to eat eggs for 2 weeks for breakfast in any shape or form, still must admit I didn't feel hungry and had the required snack as reccomended of morning and evening and spent most of bank holiday monday reeking of garlic much to the DP disbelief, still he hasn't melted so thats a good sign lol.

Good luck I know it is tough to loose weight, it has taken me from Jan 03 to Feb/March this yr to loose 1 stone, + the 6lbs I have lost over past week so it does take time, changing your approach and what you eat does help and cutting down and out on your faves does have benefits and brings you closer to your goal.

Sorry have gone far too much, will shut up now

Sweetie xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i lost 6 pounds in the first week feeling good hope i can keep it going. its been ok so far and my dh is doing it to.

bye for now karen

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Karen!

Are you doing weight watchers? I have been on weight watchers for nearly a week and haven't lost any weight,plus i'm on metformin! I am following everything properly!
Really fed up hoped I'd lose at least 1lb in the first week!
Emmaxxxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes it is weight watchers. sorry to hear its not worked for you
are you going to the classes as it might help to ask the person in charged if your doing anything wrong or if she can help you. i have also been exercising are you eating all your points as i know someone that was not eating enough and that was stopping her from losing

karen

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi ladies

i also have pcos and weight issues! surprise surprise! ;D

I started metfromin last year and lost 3 stone but since then i have been static and cant seem to lose any more and i still have more to lose
I found that by cutting out the complex carbs such as pasta bread etc was the only way i could lose weight.
I have been told by my clinic that i can have ov stimm injections but nothing else until my weight comes down some more which seems really unfair as losing weight with pcos is really hard as we know and i thought 3 stone was a good start!!
Sorry to butt in on your thread
take care
suzie aka olive

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey Olive Butt in all you like this thread is for all, I know its tough but keep going you will get there

Sweetie xxx

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Sweetie ^cuddleup^

Thanks for your reply. I can imagine how you feel having the same thing every morning for breakfast, I like eggs and have to be in the right mood for them, feel better putting a slice of bread in the toaster..... I'm raring to go on my diet, starting Monday and off to the gym three times a week with DH for motivation, will keep you updated on how things are going with that and please you keep me updated. Best of luck. ^thumbsup^ ^thumbsup^ ^thumbsup^ ^thumbsup^

Hi Olive - as Sweetie said butt in (I did) this thread is for us, PCOS sufferers. That's fantastic losing the 3 stone, I would love to loose that much in a year. It's awful when you feel so good losing it then get told by the clinic that it's not enough; I know why they say it because once you are on the injections you'll more and likely gain weight hence why they say BMI 30 and under. I also felt that cutting out carbs did it for me with the eight lose, however I got addicted to nuts for protein and can't face fruit (weird I Know). I wish you all the luck in the world with the weight lose, keep us posted maybe it'll help. ^sunny^

Take care and bye for now.

LOL Ronnie ^shake^ ^shake^ ^shake^

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi there
Hope you don't mind me butting in too. I was recently diagnosed as PCOS but was not convinced. Anyway I have been doing South beach diet too. I lost 9lb in 2 weeks. I then had to stay off it for 1 week as I was going away on school camp and I put on 3 lb- which I have now taken off again. I think it is quite good but I too am sick of salads for lunch.
I am about to go back onto phase 1 as I have been away for the weekend! And I was naughty!!!!
Since the hosp decided I have PCOS and I have started taking Metformin I have developed horrendous spots on my shoulders- never had them before. Anything I can do?
Thanks
Fiona

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have pcos n have been told 2 loose weight. im not on metamorphin. my gyno told me to wait until ive been ttc for a yr b4 they put me on metamorphin. any1 else been told this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a medical underwriter so I know a liitle about the underlying biological problems associated with PCOS.
It is thought that as many as two thirds of all infertility problems are caused by being under/over weight. This applies regardless of any other medical condition you may have, therefore if your BMI is over 25 you stand a better chance of fertility by losing weight. A BMI above 30 is classed as 'clinically obese' and therefore means your chances are reduced again.
I have also heard that low carb diets are good for weight loss. I personally believe that nothing substitiutes a good, balanced diet with control over portion sizes as well as exercising. I am trying to lose weight but I am using low glycaemic index foods to do this and eating regularly. This means that your blood sugar remains stable instead of dipping or peaking. This is particularly good for preventing the insulin resistance or even type II diabetes that can be associated with PCOS.
Metformin is prescribed as an 'insulin-lowering' drug - it is also used in type II diabetes. it is not designed to help you lose weight. In America it is banned from being prescribed for PCOS.
Just thought there were some facts that might help anyone who like me is struggling with the weight gain! Good luck! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts