Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm curious.  I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 14.  It was an ultrasa that diagnosed this.

My sister went for a scan a few years ago which did not show signs of pcos.  She has been struggling with her weight and has been unable to lose any weight.  She went for a scan about a month ago and has just had the results.  It showed that she had cysts around the ovaries and indicated pcos.

I guess my confusion lies in that I thought pcos was cysts inside the ovaries.  Does this mean that she has pcos or not?  Is this now considered hereditary for us as no one in our family has ever had any problems with menstrual cycles or fertility?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lucy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lucy

I have two sisters with PCOS, but I don't have it..

A friend of mine also has it and so does her sister and they apparently have been asked to take part in a study which is going on to see if it is indeed heriditary.

In my friends case she had a few aunts who were unable to have children, though this was years ago when there wasn't the tests available so thats why they are interested in them for the study.

In our case we do not have any history as far as we know, my mum had three of us and no real gyne problems and her sisters had five and four children.  The problems I have are more bad luck and age related I think.

Hope this helps, but if there is anything you want to know I could always ask my sisters.  The middle one is an expert on this as she ended up having to diagnose herself in the end before anyone took her seriously.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts