Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hope someone might be able to give me some advice. My dh & I are starting our 1st cycle ICSI in the New Year & as part of our first consultation, a scan showed I have mild PCO on one ovary.

I was utterly devastated & had glucose tolerance tests 2 weeks ago.

Results today were "borderline" whatever that means & Cromwell Cardiff are calling me back tomorrow after they have discussed the results with a doctor.

Has anyone had this ? What does borderline mean? I think it might be the decider as to whether or not I need metformin before tx starts but I am not 100%.

Any pointers would be a great help - feels like tomorrow is never going to come..

lot of love

B x

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Dear B,
How did you get on discussing the results? Presumably as the results were borderline, the glucose tolerance test showed you were not coping with sugar as well as you should but would not be classed as diabetic? That's quite typical in PCOS as there can be resistance to insulin and therefore a poor response to handling carbohydrate. Metformin helps the response and can improve other hormonal problems seen in PCO and some drs even recommend taking it throught pregnancy to prevent miscarriage. Some are more hesitant as it's not known exactly how it works. Do you know your FSH/LH hormone profile for Day 2?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just wondering what the Cromwell came back with Buddug??

Hope you are doing ok

dotty xx

^daisy^

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi there

Thought you might like to hear my experience of PCOS and IVF.
Last year I started IVF and the docs decided to cancel treatment and convert to IUI because they thought that i wasn't responding. However my ovaries went crazy and over 2 days I developed dozens of follicles.
This is when they decided that I may have PCOS. I had regular periods but had a long cycle of around 39 days. I am a little hairy but not much.
When I went to see the consultant prior to doing my rescheduled IVF she said she wanted me to go on Metformin for 3 months. At the time I wasn't too keen because I felt the clock was ticking and I was getting older. Anyway she persuaded me to do it by telling me that she had ried it with 2 other patients- one who got pregnant naturally and the other who got pregnant with IVF.
I took it for 3 months then did IVF. I was very ill because again I developed many follicles and had severe OHSS but the good news is I am pregnant with twins. I hope that this gives you some more info and some inspiration maybe.
Love Fiona

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fiona & Rowena,

Thanks for the words of encouragement & congratulations Fiona on the lovely news.

Well my results came back showing that I am insulin resistant. I have been prescribed metformin & am awaiting my liver & kidney function tests before knowing if it is ok for me to start taking them.
Rowena - your info is great. I have been on the web all weekend looking for what it all means & could only find "insulin resistance" in the diabetes category. I was even considering a GP appointment to talk me through it as our IF clinic have only given me info as it relates to our tx, as opposed to long term health.

I am dreading the metformin as I have the side effects are pretty nasty but needs must & all that. I have day 3 FSH test tomorrow.

This is all very weird still though. I am not hairy, have never suffered with acne & although I could lose a few pounds I wouldn't really describe myself as overweight (although maybe I am deluding myself!) My cycle has always been consistently 6 weeks (until recent years & it is bang on 28 days now) I guess as it was always 6 wks I never thought to look into it. Also my periods didn't start till I was 15...I suppose it's all connected now I know I have PCO but something I would have never consciously seen my doctor about in the past. Complex things these bodies of ours eh ?

Thanks for the advice girls.

B xx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Dear B,
Don't worry if you're put on metformin - I've been on it now 5 mths and feel fantastic. I made sure I increased the dose gradually to minimise symptoms and it has worked for me - it's about finding the dose that your body's happy with.

I agree it is confusing as its easy to presume all PCOS sufferers are overweight, hairy and spotty - far from it! It goes from lots of follicles on the ovaries with no external symptoms to just a couple of signs to the whole thing. Losing weight and metformin have certainly helped me. Have you worked out your BMI? It's your weight (in Kg) divided by your height squared (in metres)< e.g. mine is 63Kg / (1.65m x 1.65m) =  63 / 2.7225 = 23. I was told by my consultant that bringing it down to below 25 (mine was 28) can help reduce the problems associated with PCOS. See what you are, maybe you're ok. Since reducing the weight though I've suddenly responded to clomiphene and ovulated (I didn't before on 4 tries!)

It's good your periods are regular. Let us know how you get on with your Day 3 FSH result.

Finally, Congratulations Fiona - that's fantastic news!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts