Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm 34 years old, with a long history of irregular periods (off pill for c7 years, periods regularly as far as 4 months apart, but gradually improving. Now normally 7 - 10 weeks apart but unpredictable).

I'm neither overweight, nor hirsute. One blood test seemed to suggest that I wasn't PCOS, but my GP still thinks I may well be.

How possible is it to be PCOS under these circumstances?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Cromasaig said:
Hi, I'm 34 years old, with a long history of irregular periods (off pill for c7 years, periods regularly as far as 4 months apart, but gradually improving. Now normally 7 - 10 weeks apart but unpredictable).

Have you had a detailed endocrinology study? If not you should do.

I'm neither overweight, nor hirsute. One blood test seemed to suggest that I wasn't PCOS, but my GP still thinks I may well be.

PCOS is a complex syndrome which may or may not show the classic symptoms of obesity and hirsutism. At the end of the day it the state of the ovaries which is the most important and if they are polyscystic then the other symptoms are irrelevant.

How possible is it to be PCOS under these circumstances?

See above

Good luck!

Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will sound stupid, I'm sure, but I'm really not sure whether I've had a detailed endocrinology study or not. My GP is brilliant, but the clinic is less forthcoming.

I've had a blood test in clinic to check for PCOS, which came back fine.

What does a detailed endocrinololgy study entail?

Might PCOS cause me to ovulate some cycles and not others?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Cromasaig,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but i thought you might like to know my symptoms as a person with PCOS.

I am not overweight, i have slight acne, slight hirsuitism, but my periods although longer than normal (around 32-38 days) come every month and blood tests show that i ovulate. (Day 21 progesterone test).

I would think that the endocrinology study will probably include a complete work up of your hormone levels, especially your fsh/lh ratio and a cholesterol test as this is commonly high in pcos. You may also have your insulin levels checked too, but i was told as a lean pcos i was less likely to have insulin resistance - which turned out to be correct.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Barnstormer said:
Hi Cromasaig,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but i thought you might like to know my symptoms as a person with PCOS.

I am not overweight, i have slight acne, slight hirsuitism, but my periods although longer than normal (around 32-38 days) come every month and blood tests show that i ovulate. (Day 21 progesterone test).

I would think that the endocrinology study will probably include a complete work up of your hormone levels, especially your fsh/lh ratio and a cholesterol test as this is commonly high in pcos. You may also have your insulin levels checked too, but i was told as a lean pcos i was less likely to have insulin resistance - which turned out to be correct.

Good luck :)
My ideas precisely! Thanks!

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts