Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

Help!!

After speaking to various people about my periods being irregular (4 weeks shortest, 12 weeks longest since i came off the pill last year) it has been suggested that i have PCOS.

My husband and i are already going to go for IVF, due to male infertility being diagnosed recently.  But now that i have had a look at what having PCOS involves (i was doing some research on how i could help) and I'm a bit freaked out.  I have read it can cause diabetes and problems with endometriosis and cancer and all sorts.

However, I know things can sometimes be exaggerated on the net - and i would like some advice - ANY advice - on what the truth is here!!  Please!! :(

Thanks

TONIxx

·
Registered
34 Posts
PCOS is diagnosed by a blood test and an ultra sound scan of the ovaries. It is characterised by irregular ovulation which can sometimes show up as irregular periods, but not necessarily. PCOS is associated in some women with other diseases like diabeties. Because of this, the most important thing for a lady to do if she definately has PCOS is to lose weight if she needs to, and excersise every day. The loss of weight (only if she is overweight!) is often very hard as the cause of the weight tends to be metabolic rather than over eating.

Many women with PCOS go on to have children with the help of IVF/ICSI.

Hope this helps chuck,
Cleo xx

·
Registered
34 Posts
Toni- forgot to say, the cause of your irregular periods is probably due to coming off the pill- this is not unusual and many women experience the same thing. Some women who come off the pill don't even have a period for 6 months.

Good luck with it all,
Cleo xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts