Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering pcos for a long time now and i have noticed recently that the hair growth his to be getting worse, it is really getting me down could anyone help has anyone got any suprise remedies etc!!!

sorry to be a pain

thanks love kee

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Kee
I have exactly the same problem and I am not keen on shaving it but I have found that Johnsons hair minimising body creme is good for my legs & Jolene extra gentle hair lightner creame is good for arms, for face and for anywhere else.
I am a bit too chicken to try waxing everything or electrolysising things so I have always bleached.
Hope that might help a bit?
Chick

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Hi Girls

Saw a consultant last week about starting metformin and clomid.  Whilst I was there he gave me a leaflet about a cream called Vaniqa which has been developed for use in reducing facial hair.  He didn't know how good it was or how much it was but I have just done a net search on it and it seems quite expensive.  I don't know if it is available on prescription?  I might make some enquiries next time I see my GP.  Failing that I guess it's stick with my epilator and the Boots bleaching cream...!

Sorry, I don't have any surprise cures although you might want to look in to Saw Palmetto as it is rumoured to help.

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used Vaniqua. Is it now available in the UK? I originally bought it from an online GP in the US while living in the US - was too ashamed to go and see a real GP.

All that I can say about it is that it is OKAY. It didn't get rid of the problem and if it was working, it only made a tiny bit of difference. I had a friend who was using it (I found out later) and it didn't work for her and her (US-)doctor told her that he wouldn't expect it to work anyway.

And you can't use it if and when pregnant.

I had placed all of my hopes (and a lot of money) on the cream only to be really really disappointed in it. And it takes a few months to see the results with it. (I tried it for a year, 2x a day)

HTH

Katie

·
Registered
59 Posts
;)

I have suffered from this condition for around 17 years. I am sorry to read that you are feeling down about it. I went along to my docs to ask if there was anything I could have done about my excess hair on the NHS. I was told that there was nothing that was readily available. I then took it opon myself to go and have a few sessions of laser therapy at a cost of £50.00 a session. I know that this is expensive but it did help me.

The syptoms of this condition are terrible to live with at times (Iknow) but you just hang in there because there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Please stay in touch and take care.

Bye for now

Mandy3372

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

I have severe pcos,with every sympton possible and hiruitism (facial hair) was a big part of it,it was awful,i say was,i have had laser for a year and it,s totally changed my life,it was so severe that it was talked about openly by complete strangers in the street,this killed my confidence and nearly killed me,i  did,nt feel like a woman anymore,and ended up iwith me in hospital after taking lots of tablets as i did,nt want to go on anymore it was that extreme.
I contacted a lady who has obtained the funding on the NHS for laser hair removal,she campaigned for it,she and a group of doctors took the case to the goverment funding dept and it was down to her that some funding was provided on the NHS.
She has a charity for ladies with facial hair problems,and they have leading doctors and professors on the board of directors.
If anybody would like the details please feel free to pm me,as i know i went through hell with it.
I am doing a magazine article which goes out next month in one of the glossies,and i,m terrified about it,i wanted to do it so other people know that help is available but i,m petrified as it,s so personal and everyone i know will see it,my family have been so supportive about it but i,m still so worried about the reaction of neighbours etc.
If anyone wants the info just let me know and i,ll happily provide what i can to help.

Love Nickki
xx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
:) hi just wondered if you had seen the post within this pcos on half price laser treatment for hairiness it seems like a good idea to me and am considering it as i too am fed up with being a mini monster lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts