Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to make a 'proper' announcement!!

Our little Edie-May was born early on the 9th April at exactly 34 weeks weighing 5lb 4oz due to me having serious obstetric cholestasis. I was in hospital being monitored from 32 weeks on and they decided to give me a C-section at 34 weeks. she was in special care for two weeks firstly on C-PAP, then ventilated, she did really well and came home on tuesday this week. BF has been a disaster, she was too tiny and tired to suck effectively so she is now on a combo of Breastmilk and formula as she was losing weight and staying jaundiced. Not ideal, but good for her as she has now put on 5oz and is feeding regularly!!!

She is sleeping well and is generally very contented ..... so far !

We are completely in love with her!!

will post some more piccys when I can figure out how to do it!

Emma, Donna and Edie-May!!

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Pem- you picture of her is gorgeous- like a little angel.  Take care and so glad that you are all home and doing well.  Love to you all

L xx

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Oh wow!  She is just gorgeous - huge congratulations.  :)  Love to all 3 of you xxxx

·
Registered
528 Posts
OMG, how terrifying and exciting for you, all at the same time.

So pleased she arrived safely despite the complications, she looks GORGEOUS, and that weight sounds quite good given the gestation (isn't it?). Really, really enjoy this bit, don't get too het up about having to combo feed, because they're newborns for only a flash. You sound like you're doing a great job already.

Look forward to seeing you over on the parenting thread.

Congratulations again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roz xx

·
Registered
799 Posts
Congratulations Emma and Donna. Really pleased to hear that she is home now and doing well. Hope you are ok and loveing every minute of her  ^hugme^

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi Pem,

So many congratulations to you both on the birth of your beautiful daughter!

Gorgeous name by the way!!!!!!

Enjoy her,

Love Kerry, Helen and Edie.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Blimey Pem, what a drama!  Congratulations to all of you!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Many Congrats Emma and Donna, what wonderful news that you are all home together where you belong, hope things are going well and you are enjoying your time together!!!!!!!!

Maggie, Emma & Louise
xxx

·
Registered
472 Posts
Woo! Congratulations Emma and Donna, and welcome Edie-May. She's beautiful.

I've updated the list and added her in with all the other beautiful babies.

Take care and look forward to hearing all about it soon.

Minty
xxx

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Huge congrats Pem and Donna. Where can i find a pic of Edie, or am I being stupid? ^idiot^

·
Registered
72 Posts
She's gorgeous - well done!  Congratulations.  :-*

·
Registered
831 Posts
Fantastic news! Welcome to the world Edie May. Many congrats to you both.

Edith combo fed for the first 4 months and inspite of midwife and health visitor predictions that her milk would dry up, it didn't, she successfully combo fed until around 8 months when he dropped the bottle and had breast milk only. She's only just stopped breastfeeding (he's 2). I seem to remember that she did some expressing to increase her supply at various points, which seemed to work.

Let us know how you are getting on.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Brilliant news girls!

well done on your lovely daughter!

Pip and DP.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rach - pic of Edie-May is in Emma/Pem's signature - you'll see it on the left if you look at her post.  :p

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, for all your congrats!!

I can't figure out how to put pictures in my actual post, so I've put a new one in my signature. To me and dP she is simply the most beautiful thing we have ever seen!!

Rosypie and Mable - thanks so much for the reassurances about the feeding, it really upset me at the time that i couldn't just put her to the breast and it all be 'natural' as it were. She is doing really well on the combo, only managing 2 bf a day, my (.)(.) do not want to play at all!! But it must be working, she is happy and has put on another 5 oz!!

Anyway, must go and wash something, or feed her, or sterilise something!!  ;D ;D ;D

Ema x

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
What a loevly pic of Edie in the bath!! Maybe email the technical support and ask about the gallery/photo albums so we can see lots of them!!

You must be so proud of her
L x

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ema,

She is simply gorgeous!!!! She looks so alert and grown up already!!! You're doing really well persevering with the breast feeding. I was really lucky with feeding Alex but still found the first few weeks difficult. Boobs are so amazing at how they just produce as much as the baby tells them to so it is still possible to. You've probably been inundated with a variety of advice from every Tom, Dick and Harry but have you tried putting her to your breast before every bottle feed? (just so your boobs get the idea that they are needed) Or expressing while DP is feeding her... seeing her feed might help to stimulate more milk.

Good luck and keep popping on to let us know how you're getting on.

Rach xxx

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm a bit behind the times here, but HUGE congratulations to you both on the birth of your gorgeous daughter! It sounds like it was quite a drama, but I'm glad things have worked out and you're now home and able to get on the with the day to day wonderfulness of it all. :) :) :)

Rach has some wise words for you re the breastfeeding there. If you're keen to up it then it can be done, but it would probably really help to get some support from someone who really knows their stuff. Finding a good breastfeeding support group is what saved us when we were going through our own little feeding hell in the early days. I was told to express every 2-3 hours when Ember wouldn't go to the boob, the idea being that as long as I could keep my supply up and she was getting enough nutrition in the mean time then eventually she'd get the hang of it. And she did, even if it did take her a month. :) You're doing wonderfully to be be part feeding after your difficult early start though, and as you say, she's clearly thriving. :)

Big hugs to you all. :) Let me know if you fancy a visitor (and a half) from brummy-land one day. :)

Gina. x

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congradulations Emma and Donna. Welcome to the world little Edie!

Not being able to fully breastfeed is a real downer....but just wanted to make sure you know about the option of supplemental breastfeeding rather than bottlefeeding. No one told me about it until about 6 weeks after Jaxson was born and my milk had already declined too much.

Idea is you feed your formula to bubs vis tiny soft tubes that you tape to your nipples, formula/expressed BM in a special bottle hanging around your neck. You can adjust the flow rate by various means. Encourages bubs to suck better as they are getting a greater reward (br milk and formula per suck) for their efforts which should stimulate increased milk production )better than breast pump does). Over time the amount of formula they take decreases as breast milk increases. Nicer than a bottle and less time spent on feeding as you dont have to express as well. Can tell you more if you are not aware.Nice as more intimate than bottle feeding. Wish my midwife had given me that option at the time we need to start supp feeding, maybe BF would have been better.

Cheers
Sharyn (NZ)

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Congratulations Emma & Donna on Edie's arrival!
She looks adorable, that's a really cute photo.
And if you haven't already been in touch with La Leche League (or NCT breastfeeding helpline/Assocation of Breastfeeding Mothers), then do make the effort to do so to combat any breastfeeding issues - they can actually send someone out to visit you to help. I found it almost impossible to "make the time" to make those calls in the early weeks, it always seemed easier to put it off until tomorrow, but looking back, I can see how much I made my own life harder battling through the problems on my own! I also found it a great support to go along to LLL coffee mornings, which regrettably I didn't start going to until Toby was about 4 1/2 months!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts