Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody take pentoxifylline (Trental or Torental)? I am starting tomorrow, wondering about side effects, whether should take in AM or PM, etc.

I just did a hysteroscopy & my uterus is pretty clean of adeno/endo-like stuff, but I have a fibroid that will have to be removed in a few weeks. Meanwhile I'm sure the endo is nicely growing in my ovaries -- among other signs, at least one ovary is again glued to the wall. Hoping this medicine will help shrink it all a bit...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has replied, but thought I'd just note that my last period was super easy as compared to usual, after 2 weeks on this medicine. So I am hoping it's the Trental/Torental drug, & not just a teaser!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Hi theodora, ive not heard of this drug...

Interested to know more about it

xx

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nicky!

I can report that I've now been on the pentoxi 1/day + vitamin E 500/day since early February, & I don't notice any side effects at all. With the notable exception that if I drink anything alcoholic, even half a glass of port, I feel hung over afterwards. Disappointing, but probably good for conception anyway!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Theodora,
Any effects at all from this drug?
X

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. And I've been taking it the more usual twice per day (pentoxyfilline generic by Sandoz + "Toco 500") since July 2012. I suppose I do get more "hang-over" feelings (headache) if I drink, but I suppose I shouldn't ever do that anyway....  :-[ I really don't know why everyone is not on it!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Theodora i am wondering who prescribed this medication for you ? Was it your fertility clinic or your GP. I would be interested in starting on it and hearing from others about it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My GP gives me the prescription now, altho it was originally prescribed by a gynecologist while I was preparing for an IVF cycle.

It is not to be taken during pregnancy, nor by anybody with liver/kidney problems. I think it can also cause increased blood flow -- maybe this is why it causes me to sometimes have headaches?? Or maybe that is "just endo"?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi Theodora,

Have you seen/felt proof that the Pentoxifylline has improved your endo?

I'm going in for a lap in a few weeks as my gynae has seen I have an endometrioma on one of ovaries - he's going to remove it and have a look at what the state of play is with regards to endo anywhere else, and I'm now wondering asking him if he could also prescribe me with this should the endo be bad enough.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good question. In fact I haven't had a lap since the 1st one a few years ago, so it is hard to say. Hysteroscopically I haven't shown any more endo lesions, & they are not obvious on ultrasound (before they were). I also haven't had any endometriomas since starting the treatment. However the only proof I can offer is that my periods are less painful than they were before starting the pentoxi. Sorry I can't give a better answer!

Good luck with the lap in a few weeks, hope it goes well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts