Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After giving birth 13 weeks ago I bled for 6 weeks.  I was informed that my periods should start again soon after.  Anyhow I bled for only a few days in May.  My period was due to start last week however it seems I have started to bleed today, anyway the bleeding is really light and not like one of my normal periods that I used to have.  Is this normal?  Will my periods begin to become normal?  My doc told me that my first bleed should be quite heavy but if you could May's bleed as the first then it was very light.

Would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks.

ZoeA
xxx

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dear Zoe it depends if you are BF or not. If you are BF then this can delay the onset of periods or make them very light. I remember that it took a couple of months for things to settle down after I had my son and like you I had bleeding for weeks afterwards. I wouldn't worry too much.
Things will get back to normal soon. Some women who BF have no periods at all until they stop
hope this helps
cheers
andrea

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your reply.

Am I bottlefeeding.  Noticed this morning that my bleeding has got heavier so hopefully this is a proper period and my body will be back to normal soon.

Thanks.

ZoeA
xxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I've always had very regular 28 day cycles, but it took me 9 months after having Jack for my cycle to regulate out.  After Ben, I bled for the full 6 weeks after, and then had very erratic cycles, sometimes only 5 or 6 days between periods, and then sometimes over 30 with the flow of each varying greatly.  Again after about 9 months my cycle regulated to 30 days (it's gone a bit haywire again recently, but think this is down to something else)  It can take some time to get back to normal.  I was breast feeding both boys for 4 months, but still had a period 4 weeks after the lochia stopped and then the erratic cycles. 

So yep, I'd say what you're describing is normal after having a baby.  If you get concerned though have a word with your GP for reassurance. 

Take care

Jayne x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.