Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been afraid since a bad experience as a child.  Before our wedding i plucked up the courage to go to a Priv dentist and they prescribed me something to calm me down.
I know obviously during PG i cannot take anything but wondered if anyone had any advice??

I know i need check up but i'd sooner not for the next 2 years lol

xxx

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Hi hun
I used to be just like you and would be a gibbering wreck, mine too stemmed from a bad experience as a child, so I know how you feel ^Cuddle^
I think the main thing is to find a dentist and nurse who is sympathetic to your very real fear, and one which will go at your pace and not theirs.
I had to have a molar out a couple of years ago as I had an abscess, which needed 2 courses of antibiotics and I was terrified. I knew I wanted the tooth out as it was agony, but the thought of going seemed even worse :-[
My dentist and the nurse are fantastic, and they talked calmly to me, and the nurse held my hand all the way through, the dentist told me to raise my hand/gesture if I needed a "break", (which I did 3 times) until he was finished.

Controlling your breathing and relaxing, and thinking of nice things (I know it sounds corny!) does help hun, I did this and used relaxation techniques and I can now go (relatively easily) and not get that knot in my tummy and no cold sweats.
Try discussing it with your dentist and if they don't acknowledge your fear, find one who does ;)
Simple breathing and distraction techniques help, and my dentist even has a load of sketches and jokes on the ceiling which you can read and distract yourself whilst in the chair. Do you have an iPod or MP3 player? This can help too as you could singalong in your head, which takes your mind off the tx ;)
You're not alone with this, am sure there are many more of us who struggle with going to the dentist ^hugme^
Wishing you all the best hun, let us know how you get on :-*
Lotsa love
Gayn
Xx

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thank you for posting this thread! and thanks for your responce Gayn!

I understand your fear completley and have cancelled 3 apointments in the last two weeks making up all sorts of excuses.... But it has been booked again now for 2 weeks time so I'm going to try the I.Pod idea and also let them know how scared I am!!  ^eyes^

Good Luck MTTB xx ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Hi girls

I hadn't gone to the dentist for 22 years
again bad experience as a child
anyway i went today and had my 1st ever filling!
and it was fine, when i got in there i felt i was going to pass out, i was so scared
but i just concentrated on my breathing, and tried to relax as much as i could
once the injection was in (didnt hurt at all) it was fine
it was completely numb, and i felt nothing
while she was doing the filling, i just stared at the ceiling and focused on the patterns (sounds so silly lol)
and i sang songs in my head, and just tried to think of silly things, like shopping lists and stuff
before i knew it she had finished
i have to go again next week for 2 more fillings, and i wont be scared at all
i think the ipod idea is a fab one, and maybe take DH or mum with you to hold your hand?
good luck anyway, you WILL be fine  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I am the same... but if it is in consolation... they are not able to xray while preg.. so wont see anything really nasty... you will prob just get a bloody good clean.

Think how liberated you will feel once you have gone.

Now if only I could take my own advice.lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too could have written that post. I'm waiting until the baby is 6 months old before I go as I'll need a shot of vallium and I'm sure that's no good for baby inside womb or while breastfeeding.....

In the meantime, I got some of those disposable flossers to make sure plaque stays in check and I'm being really careful with brushing, mouthwash etc. SO far so good - some of my gums are actually better now than before which is the opposite of what the books tell you!

I know it's such a silly thing but the thought of hearing a drill makes me want to be sick. Give me labour any day!

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
Hiya

Have you tried something like Bachs Rescue Remedy, you can get it at boots and herbal places. my MW said it was fine to use in pregnancy and if you go on bachs flowers (i think) website it tells you about it and it being safe to use.
Its a bit like a natural calming agent, just chills you out ever so slighty - sometimes I think its all in the mind, but if it works  :)
We even gave it to the cat when introducing the dog to keep her calm ;D ;D ;D

Hope you get on ok.
R
x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts