Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is any good (health) reason why a pillow should be introduced?

I rarely use mine (I only have one very thin one and it normally ends up pushed onto the floor or right up against the wall above my head) and it hadn't crossed my mind to give the girls one.  Should I though?

HJG

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I don't see why you should unless they seem to 'need'/want one. Ds never had one until he was 2.5 and he only got one then as he wanted ours, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

The only thing it did achieve (but only after a few months and along with a duvet) was he eventually learnt to sleep without spinning upside down!

Chux xx

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi, I have just given Cameron a pillow to see if it would help him settle in the night better and he does snuggle down better, but if your girls are sleeping fine, I wouldn't bother too much.

I have found that my two both sleep better now they have duvets rather than sleeping bags and are starting to sleep the right way round now, rather than upside down or sideways which is how we would find them in the sleeping bags!!

I would say, if things are good as they are, don't change them  ;)

Love Becca xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Isabel is already showing interest in our duvet and pillows will climb on the bed and put herself under the duvet and head of pillows but I'm scared of her still turning and going right under the duvet, she still has the sides on cot so confined

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi, not sure if someone has asked this before.  Kieran is just over two and sleeps with a sleepbag and no pillow and I'm happy with this as he still sleeps really well.  My question is, is there an age which for medical reasons (best for them) that they should be given a pillow?

Shazznewman

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks Chux

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hi

Brooke and Blake are still "caged" in cotbeds ( neither them or me are ready for beds yet  ;D )  and sleep in grobags / sleeping bags ( purely as they cant climb out of the cots with them on)  but when should i introduce pillows?

Brooke doesnt move round much in her sleep, and often is sleeping on her arm ( or on one/many of her teddies), Blake, well, its pot luck as to which corner of the cot he is in, which way up he is, face up, face down etc. 
I read on another thread that sometimes a pillow can cut down on the moving around as they like to keep their head on it (?)

What happens if they sleep face down on a pillow?  Will they suffocate? ( paranoid worried mummy here, can you tell??!!)  I would like Brooke to hav a pillow, but i cant give one of them one and not the other of there will be a meltdown................

Any advice /suggestions??

S
xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
If your LO's are sleeping ok and are quite happy then I would carry on as you are - ds1 was going on for 3 before he had a duvet and pillow, whereas dd was 16 months but, as yet, ds2 (currently 16 months) is sleeping ok so I have no plans to introduce either just yet.

At this age, even if they are face down then they'd be able to breath or put themselves in a position where they can. There's no reason why you shouldn't introduce a pillow and see what happens - you may well find that Blake stops moving around so much as this is what happened with ds1.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
We've just given H a pillow more because B went to a single size one so I had a cotbed one spare and thought I'd try it with her.  She loves it, and I would say does move a bit less but still works her way down.  She is still very much in her sleeping bag thou and not thinking of changing that yet.

B was about 2 when she got her duvet, I saw a cotbed one for £5 so picked that up rather than replacing the the sleeping bag that needed replacing.  She had shown great interest in our covers and pillows so another reason I decided to give her her own

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
i think ikea does baby pillows, keep meaning to sort. lucas has a V pillow in his cot!! there is a reason for this, he got used to being in bed with me on v pillow when he was poorly and had trouble getting him back in cot, so in desperation, we put v cushion in,and he likes it. think im gonna change now though for normal pillow. hes fine with the v pillow, sometimes cuddles up to middle bit, sometimes to long bit. but tommy sleeps on his front so he currently has no pillow still

weve got "patchwork quilt" so not a duvet as such, handmade by relative, in each cot, still same thickness as the 2 sheets we used to have but not as messy!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I tried lo with a pillow but he just threw it around his cot so took it out. Should I keep trying or try again later to see if he keeps his head on it instead of messing with it  ;D

I have not tried a duvet, too scared! He is all over his cot at night.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I put Alex's back in every night, if he threw it he threw it makes no difference, eventually he started to love it!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi
I introduced duvets and pillows at around 13months as they kept getting twisted in their grobags.
Particularly Luke likes to sleep with his face completely smothered into the pillow!!!!!!!!
I spent many nights moving him, but eventually realised that it is just how he prefers to sleep.
Also read somewhere that by this age they have the strength to move (just like us ) if they can't breathe.

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
ive seen that ikea do baby pillows and duvets think im gonna get some off there when ive decorated there new room

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Cant remember when we introuduced a pillow but it was a while ago, and for me was more so when he eventually goes into a bed its not so starange etc. L is also one for being all over the cot but doesnt move as much since he has his pillow, and he looks so sweet when i check on him and he is lay smack bang in the middle of the pillow  :)

We havent gone for the duvet, and not sure that we will untill he moves to a bed. He doesnt like having blankets over him, he goes mad so not sure how we will get on, so waiting till he's a bit older and can understand more. We also moved from grobags to fleecy sleep suits so when we do decide to move him theres not lots of changes going on at the same time (can u tell i want it to be as smooth as possible?  ;D )

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
How do you know they are ready for one? Or am I being  ^idiot^ again. I tried lo with it but he was about to go to sleep with it under his back, looked v uncomfy so I took it out, just not sure if I should leave it or shove it in and leave it at that, I worry because if he goes to sleep on it all uncomfy it will wake him up and disturb him, does that make any sense?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
My little girl is 3 years and 3 months and is still in a cotbed and still in a grobag with no pillow.  We are taking the attitude of if it aint broke dont change it.  The only thing that is putting getting a duvet in my mind is that she has been dry for 3 - 4 weeks now at night and and she holds it in the morning until I go into her - which isnt always when she wakes as she is so good and just waits, so we may have to put a potty in her room and change into duvets etc oh and take the side off the cot ^roflmao^.

Mal - there is no right time set in stone, its just when you think your child is ready.  You know your little one best so you can judge when is right.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I'm with arthurwhitewhisker on this one and if they aren't looking for it then keep things as they are! Ds2 is still in a sleeping bag with no pillow and I haven't thought about changing him as yet - my other two started climinbing into our bed and snuggling up under the duvet which is when we decided to change them over.

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Thank you, the thing is he never gets into our bed  :-\ dh works nights and funny shifts so cant have lo in there. On the small occasions we do go in there he wants to jump on the bed, don't think he quite knows what to do with a pillow as we have never co slept or anything. He does take the cushions off the settee from time to time and puts his head on them going ehhhhhhh  :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts