Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted awhile back that pineapple juice, grapefruit juice, brazil nuts and baby asprin are helpful during IVF.  I'd like to know if this is true.  If so, I'd like to know how much and when to take them?

Thanks,
Foxey

·
Registered
493 Posts
hello foxey  have your hospital or clinic not advised you at all about aspirin? I think the general view is that 75mg of aspirin a day helps with the blood and the lining of the uterus , so start taking it as soon as you start the ivf treatment. Any kind of nut with a high level of protein is beneficial as the growing embryos need alot of it. Drinking a litre of organic milk a day was advised by my clinic along with 3 litres of water daily!I can't advise on the pinapplee juice as i don't know sorry!!
all the best cesca  ;D

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Foxey

the pineapple thing is supposed to be because there's selenium in them, which helps with implantation after the ET.  But it should be either very fresh juice or fresh pineapple, not concentrated juice or tinned chunks.  However, I've not been able to find any reference to pineapple in any of the nutrition books I have!  Other food sources of selenium are sesame seeds, wheatgerm, and tuna, but you shouldn't eat too much tuna either because it might contain small amounts of mercury which is poisonous!  It's all way too complicated.

All nuts have essential fatty acids which are good for regulating hormones, and vitamin E which helps prevent miscarriage and along with selenium makes your endometrium healthy - apparently!

Basically you should try to eat as varied and balanced a diet as possible, with lots of fruit and veg, some nuts and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin and sesame), oily fish and plenty of protein such as eggs and chicken.  And drink plenty of water. 

If you get Zita West's book Fertility and Conception, she explains all the main nutrients you need and what foods contain them.  It's quite a good book if you don't take it all too seriously!

I would definitely ask first at your clinic before taking aspirin - some clinics don't recommend it depending on your history. It's supposed to help women who have a history of miscarriage.

good luck, hope it goes well for you,
Claire

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to everyone for replying!  I really appreciate it.  I'm due to start my ivf cycle soon and want to maximize my chances as much as possible.  So it seems the concensus is to start the asprin as soon as I begin my ivf meds (but I'll ask my clinic first, of course).  Should it be baby asprin or just 75 mg of asprin? As far as nuts and pineapple juice I guess that's the whole cycle too huh?  I had initially only drunk the pineapple juice between days 3-5 after ET during my last ivf 3 years ago and got pregnat, so I was just wondering.  It's been so long since I've done this, I've forgotten.  Thanks for your support. 

Thanks,
Foxey  ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts