Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place for this question  :-\ but we'll see.

I read that drinking pineapple juice can help with regards to fertility, for the past six weeks, I've drunk a glass (at least) every day.  Very surprised to see a BFP, but didn't have long to get used to the idea as miscarried next day.  :'(  Praying I will be blessed again very soon.

SIL (very supportive) gave birth on Tuesday to a gorgeous little boy, told her about miscarriage as started blubbing, no-one else knows as a lot of my friends are too caught up in their own "problems" to worry (example matching the bridesmaids dresses to the waistcoats!), she said she'd read somewhere that pineapples can bring on the start of labour and for three days before going into labour she ate fresh pineapple all the time and drank the juice. 

Could the amount of pineapple juice I drunk have done any harm, I'd like to think the juice helped but what SIL has said has made me a little bit worried.  I have been drinking it again since and about to go and stock up on some more, just wanted some opinions really as no idea why it happened, I took one anti-histamine tablet a week before as I had a serious allergic reaction and they relieve the itching (GP said it was ok to take) so could it have been that?

Sorry, think I have waffled, hope you understand.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Emma,
I'm really sorry to hear about your bfn hun sending you a big  ^hugme^

I think opinions are divided as to whether pineapple juice is a good or bad thing when tx - there's a very long pineapple juice thread a bit further on on this thread.

Re. antihistamine, I suffer from allergies too. The research I've done into it on the internet, doesn't really come to any firm conclusions, so again, difficult to say whether we should be taking it during pregnancy and tx. I know how irritating allergies can get, I've been in bed all weekend with bad hayfever. It might be an idea to look into alternative remedies for your allergies, such as homeopathic ones, and creams for itchy skin etc. I was really hooked on anti-histamines, but since looking into it have been surprised at the amount of alternative remedies available.

It would be really easy to blame one thing or another for your miscarriage, but sometimes these things really are not meant to last. I had a miscarriage last year, and was constantly asking myself what I could have done differently. My only way of coping with it was to realise that it's just nature's way of telling us that things were not going as they should have been, and to try look forward - although I know that this can be hard when it's only just happened.

Please try not to beat yourself up about it hun.

Maria x

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Emma

I am not sure of this but it in South Asian countries they do not recommend pineapple juice, pappaya and sesame seeds, They could bring the periods quickly.
Don't take too much of these.
Love
Selina

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I'm really sorry to read of your loss but please don't blame the fact you drank pineapple juice on the cause of the miscarriage. Unfortunately the statistics on early miscarriage indicate that it's pretty common & although I can understand that this doesn't help heal the hurt, I just want you to know that its nothing you did (or didn't) do that caused it to happen. My consultant also believes I've had a couple of early miscarriages so I can appreciate how heartbreaking it can be.

There was a very long thread on this subject posted on the "Ask a nurse" forum a while ago...

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29863.0.html

There appears to be a fair amount of positive outcomes through drinking pineapple juice (& a friend of mine is sure it helped her!)

Having researched on the net & in many books, the "jury" is undecided on whether pineapple can help aid implantation...personally I believe it is the fresh pineapple that should be avoided - not canned or juice.

Fresh pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain (only small amount) which is believed to induce labour, although there is no scientific proof of this (you'd have to eat alot of fresh pineapples for this to happen I think !!!)
However, during the process of juicing/canning etc the enzyme is destroyed so "processed" pineapple should be fine (although everything in moderation !)
Pineapple also contains selenium which is one of the things that helps build up a healthy endometrium - which is what you want for implantation & to sustain a pregnancy. I've not stopped drinking pineapple juice!

And for those ttc (especially those on Clomid)....try drinking grapefruit juice as it can improve & increase the "sperm friendly" cervical mucus.

I wish you lots of luck in the future
Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Natasha

Thank you for your message.  Was talking to SIL over weekend, she said then that she may have worried/upset me by saying that pinapple brought on labour etc, she was eating fresh pineapple before she gave birth after reading it in a book, shes since checked the book again and it says nothing about the juice bringing on labour. 

I've decided to continue drinking pineapple juice, as after reading the very long thread, it seems that there are a lot of people who put their success down to the juice.  I don't think its going to hurt (actually drinking a glass of it right now!)

I've come to the conclusion that it just wasn't meant to be, hopefully next time will have a better outcome.

Em

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hello Ladies!

OMG I am worried now too, I have been craving nothing but fresh pineapple! i am nearly 18 weeks pg.

I have read the juice thread, any extra thoughts on the fruit?

Love to you all

Zoe

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Personally I think that it's fine - but like anything, probably best in moderation...
...I know at least 5 friends who drank pineapple juice throughout their pregnancy & were all absolutely fine.... :) ...I also know a friend who ate soft blue cheese a few times whilst pregnant (which should be avoided but she was fine with that too!) I've seen lists of things that women are advised to avoid during pregnancy & pineapple hasn't been one of them...try not to worry about it, if you fancy a glass of pineapple then have it...

Zoe - Congratulations on the pregnancy :)

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Emma I am so sorry for your loss. I dont know if pineapple is a good or bad thing, but I wish you all the luck in the world for the future. ^hugme^

Hugs,
Mac,
xxx.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Emma,

I'm really sorry to hear your bad news. It must be so heartbreaking for you. I don't think it was the pineapple juice or the antihistimine that did it. Unfortunately, it just wasn't to be.

I have read conflicting opinions about pineapple juice and whether it is good or bad. I have not seen any controlled studies showing that it improves success rates and for this reason, I think it should only be taken in moderation. My view is that if there is any doubt, it is best not to overdo it. I do not think that one glass a day is excessive.

I hope it all works out for you soon. Good luck.

Cinderella

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.