Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer me some advice??

If a LA has a care order over a child and they want to place that child with a family member does the family member have to be assessed as a foster carer??

Rgds

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hiya

It would be what they call a kinship care arrangement. The LA would assess the family member as a kinship carer and usually ( depending on LA) they have to go to panel like a foster carer would. It sometimes happens that the child will already be in the care of that family member when assessment begins

hope that helps
xx

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Suzie.

A care order was granted for a member of my family and we want to adopt him eventually.  Originally they were going for a SGO but they said birth Mum could come and take him away if she wanted or at least try to.  He was supposed to come to live with us in the next couple of weeks but now we have been told that we HAVE to be assessed first so this is going to take longer.  Surely the sw would have known this?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Yes the sw will have known that you need to be assessed. If the care order is with a member of your family then to move the child from them I would assume that the people the child was moved to would have to be assessed as carers or adoptive parents .
It also depends on what type of care order the child is on. If it is a section 20 or an ICO the legal rights of the parents differs

I would speak to the sw concerned and get them to clarify things for you

xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts