Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 years of ttc, which included 4 rounds of ivf, 2 miscarriages and 1 heterotopic we were finally pregnant. I thought my pregnancy would be a breeze.... no chance. I suffered ohss until 14 weeks, was hospitalized and on morphine due to torsion of ovary at 9 weeks, intermittent bleeding from 8 weeks until 22 weeks (in labour ward Christmas day as they thought I was going into premature labour). Other scares including too much fluid on a scan, very big baby, low lying placenta, pains and again hospitalized at 36 weeks with food poisoning!!

So after all that I asked my friendly consultant for a c-section, I figured after the pregnancy I had had I would probably be in labour 72 hours then need an emergency c-section! No problem he said and booked us in for Friday 18th April, 39 weeks 2 days pregnant!

I really thought I would go into labour earlier as was huge....I had put on 4 stone! But thankfully our precious baby stayed inside!

On the Friday we arrived at 8.45am, I was given a gown and stockings and baby was monitored. Hubby had on gorgeous blue scrubs. At 9.10  we went to operating theatre where I was given my spinal. There was no pain involved, the sensation as it took effect was lovely, like a nice warm feeling starting at back and going to just under boobs and down the ankles. (You can still wiggle your toes) A cafater was inserted which you can't feel as your so numb by this time. A screen is put up at just above your boob level, hubby sat holding my hand. He could look round the side of the screen if he wanted to but his eyes were firmly fixed on my face.

The surgeon came in along with about 6 other people, they all introduced themselves. The radio was playing, the staff were all friendly and was a really relaxed environment.

They tested thatI was numb everywhere by spraying a freezing cold spray on me, I couldn't feel it below my boobs. Then they all looked busy. 'Have they opened me yet?' I asked hubby who looked over and saw them carefully cutting through each of the 6 or 7 layers. I really thought I was still know when they had started but I didn't. The next sensation I felt was like being on a waterbed, my body felt like it was gently being rocked.

'Your baby will be out in a minute' said a nurse. It was actually about 5 minutes as his little head was stuck in the pelvis and forceps had to be used.
At 9.50am our little miracle came into the world, a gorgeous little boy called Frankie, screaming as he was pulled out of my womb.

The nurses wrapped him up and laid him just under my neck so I could cuddle him and thats where he stayed while I was stitched up.

30 minutes later we were taken back to our delivery room. I asked the midwife if I could do the skin to skin and Frankie immediately latched on and started feeding, no problem.

3 hours later we were wheeled upto ward. I was starving as had been nil by mouth from midnight!

The feeling came back into my legs about this time, I was out of bed at 5pm with cafeter removed and going to toilet, my urine was measured on my first wee, (first wee was bright red with all the blood so be aware!)

I was dischaarged 48 hours later.

Previous to my c-section I read every single birth story on here weighing up the pros and cons of a planned c-section or a normal birth. A c-section was the best possible choice for me, I found it really easy, I was very lucky. Pain wise I didn't have any, my stomach felt a bit bruised for a couple of days but not enough to warrant the amount of painkillers they gave me. I took morphine, parcetomel and codeine for the first night as I was expecting the pain to come (as other people had warned me) but it didn't! The worse thing about a c-section is knowing your belly has been sliced in half, this is pretty scary when moving about as you feel you may tear the cut!

My stitch was removed by the midwife 6 days later at home.

From stories I imagined I wouldn't be able to walk upstairs, kneel or even hold Frankie, but as I said I was lucky, I found it far easier then my previous two laparotemy's I've had, actually easier then my first lap as well!

One week later I had forgotton about the c-section, scar had healed lovely. I was able to drive at 2 weeks.

So a nightmare ttc, nightmare pregnancy but at last, a perfect birth and a even more perfect baby!

We've just had our 6 week check (bit late at 8 weeks) and everything fine. We still can't believe how lucky we are. I can't stop kissing him and pinching myself, we are so so lucky and I appreciate every tiny moment.......I just wish everyone had the same chance.

Good luck to everyone else

Love E, DH & F

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
:)What a fantastic happy ending for the 3 of you...many many congratulations.....

I had an emergancy section which was really good, I was up and about the day after and only needed paracetamol for a few days.  I am hopeless at handling pain, im a wimp, but i would defo have another section.

Wishing your new family all the best,

Love clare x x

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your son and thank you for posting your experience - very reassuring as I am going for an elective section and I am rather nervous about it all!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
congrats and thanks for sharing your story.

Mrs M - Planned C section was less traumatic for me tham having a filling at the dentist!  And recovery time so very much better than I expected,

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your precious boy, its really lovely to hear of a postive section experience (I had an emergency first time round and want an elective this time).

Thank you for sharing.

Bev xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Congratulations hun, enjoy every minute

Nikki xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts